This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Satellite Inet or Wireless Broadband?

Al, I did check wispa - nadda in our area unfortunately. I'm so frustrated. Harness - I have looked into purchasing it from dish but I read that if you do it that way it's harder to get tech service, etc because you need to go thru them first, I COULD be wrong though, I've read so much about all of this the past week that I can't remember, lol.

Very interested in this thread, read all the posts. I currently have terrestrial wireless (basically 802.11b with a high gain antenna), gone to hell in the past few weeks and the local company seems indifferent, but cheap $30/mo. I'm solar so power is a concern, needs to be off when the computer is off.

Based on the above, you're a fan of 4G/LTE over satellite internet. How about the cost comparison?

I live in a mountain valley and Verizon LTE just went hot last month. I can see the/a tower 8-miles away with no obstructions.
Some questions:
  • Can I do VOIP using the Verizon service?
  • You mention an escape clause, what is that?
  • Any speed or FAP problems with Verizon.
  • What do you pay, what do you get?

Thanks for your thoughts.

First, there is no such thing as "4G/LTE over satellite". Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Second, reading this topic from the beginning would have answered every one of your questions. But to summarize;
1. no
2. I had a month to back out of the deal if I didn't like the service
3. the penalty for exceeding your allowance isn't throttling, it's financial. $10/GB or any portion thereof.
4. I have the basic 10GB plan for $60/month, average speed about 12Gb/s. Speed tests often show as much as 30down/17up, but real world downloads are closer to 12.

//greg//

First, there is no such thing as "4G/LTE over satellite". Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Second, reading this topic from the beginning would have answered every one of your questions. But to summarize;
//greg//
"over" in this context was meant as "preferred" NOT via satellite. I can see how my word choice might have confused, didn't mean to get your dander up!!!

Thanks for the concise reply.