satellite internet in AFGHANISTAN

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

afghanbase

Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
afghnistan
I am serving with the army in a remote base in south-eastern afghanistan and i'm lucky to currently have some kind of internet access at all, but the problem is we have 4 computers for 100 users at this place and a 30 min time limit and no privacy in the computer lab. The plan is to get a get satellite internet from a hughes net or something like that and split the expensive monthly costs between myself and 5 other guys and if it works, hook up the others in the base with their own satellite. Since we don't have a reliable phone out here, i thought i would ask my fellow techies for their advice. Hughesnet emailed me and said they do provide service out here, but also said it would be $600 + $600 for equipment and shipping. I hope i can get a better deal than that to own my own equipment and since I'm only out here for 10 more months, i need to be on a month-to-month deal instead of a contract. Please help me and my friends out guys. :)

HughesNet equipment from the states (HN-series) is only configured to work with North American satellite coverage, so it wouldn't do you any good over there anyway. If you want to stick with Hughes hardware, it's their HX-series that works over there. So check out Free Satellite Internet Afghanistan | Hughes Internet Services in Afghanistan | Wafa MWR . With their HX Business 1000 plan (and higher), hardware and shipping are free. Installation is do-it-yourself. The B1000 is an 8 user system with a 99GB download limit for $815/month. Get 2-3 more guys and you're lookin' at right around or under $100 bucks each.

Alternatively, canvass other units. There are a lot of used HX and similar systems already in use over there - systems that come available as owners rotate back stateside.

//greg//

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts