Satellite Issues (LOS)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dewinslow

Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Columbus, MS
Ok so 2 weeks ago I signed up for the 200+ HD Bronze package or whatever it's called. Got a 722K.. very excited, etc. Guy installs it while I'm at work, and I come home to realize that there are no locals. So a week later they come back out and say they need to install a second dish to get the locals off of 110. I came home from work today, and sure enough, we have locals, but not HD. I guess locals are off of 119 instead of 110? So the guy put in a whole second dish and didn't even get me HD locals. I'm kinda pissed....

Should I cancel locals from Dish and get an OTA? Does the guide work w/ the OTA? As in, will it automatically record shows, etc?

Was your install done by a moron? You should've had both 110 and 119 (on one dish) right from the beginning just to get all the SD channels, not just the local ones. You should've also had 129 (I think that still can be done with one dish) right from the beginning to get most of your HD channels, plus your HD locals. If you don't have LOS to 129, you shouldn't be paying for HD at all, because you're not getting 99% of it. (You may be able to get the national HD channels, only, from 61.5, which would definitely require a second dish, would not be a standard installation for your area so you'd have to beg for it or do it yourself, and may not even be possible depending on exactly where the satellite's coverage extends to.)

If you want guide data for OTA channels, you have to pay Dish for locals anyway. Real classy, Dish is.

Either there is a gross misunderstanding here by the OP, or a tech needs to get fired. Since it's hard for me to believe that a tech is that Stupid, I am going to go with the OP misunderstanding what is really happening.. And if that is the case, then We need a little more info here so maybe we can help him.

Did the tech mention Line of Sight issues..

" Decency standards are (for the moment) one of the few rights still left up to individual communities and states."

I wouldn't call being able to make arbitrary laws a right.

Back in the early years of cable, these same types of laws were used to deny cable companies access to large sections of the country.
At first it was said that it was because of all the violence and nudity on cable. But latter after local governments got sued and the court filings started showing up, they found that most of all the legal troubles were started by "the local networks" and stirring up religious groups in their community. It all boiled down to money.
I lived in Nashville at the time and some of the ads against the cable companies were really corny. But they did work on a very large portion of the community.

One ad I remember showed the city in pre-cable world, then it showed what would happen if cable was allowed to run rampant. It showed drug users stretch out on the sidewalks and old people being terrified by violent youth gangs. Today it seems kind of funny, but back then people took it serious.

If dish or direct wanted to fight these silly laws , they could. But in the end the only ones that win are the attorneys.
Here in VA we still have decency laws on the books from the early 1800's.

One small community had a funny one.

" you could not have relations with a sheep, within the known city boundaries. The penalty was a week of public humiliation tied to a post in the square and that included the animal being tied up as well."

By contrast, if your wife was found commuting adultery.It was OK to kill here without fear of reprisal from the community.

Sounds to me like the OP was installed w/ Eastern Arc. If his locals are indeed off of 129 and the tech hit 110, it is just a matter of turning the dish to get 129, provided he has LOS.

Which way is dish pointed?

Ok so 2 weeks ago I signed up for the 200+ HD Bronze package or whatever it's called. Got a 722K.. very excited, etc. Guy installs it while I'm at work, and I come home to realize that there are no locals. So a week later they come back out and say they need to install a second dish to get the locals off of 110. I came home from work today, and sure enough, we have locals, but not HD. I guess locals are off of 119 instead of 110? So the guy put in a whole second dish and didn't even get me HD locals. I'm kinda pissed....

Should I cancel locals from Dish and get an OTA? Does the guide work w/ the OTA? As in, will it automatically record shows, etc?

Tell us which way your dish pointing. If SE then they put in the wrong dish. Give us some more info on your set up. It sounds like you need to call E* and get them to send out a new tech w/ a 1000.2 dish and replace the ones you have. :rolleyes:

Maybe I'm just easily confused, but...

The thread title mentions LOS but I see no mention of obstructions to line of sight to any particular satellite.

dewinslow, go to Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com and check LOS using a Dish 1000.2 and also for a single dish for 129°.

Then we have an amusing yet dismaying discussion of decency standards (in response to a not decent installation? not seeing how else it relates to anything that's been said), one of which says it's OK to kill an adultering wife here (but presumably not somewhere else).

Currently I'm picking up 77, 72, 61.5, 110. That's accord to Menu 6-1-1, "Check Switch".

I talked to the Dish installer and he said he wasn't able to pick up the HD satellite for locals. It seems like I'm getting all my other channels for HD. He said the house and trees are in the way. He can't put the dish in the front yard because of my lease agreement, and he can't put the dish on the other side of the house because it's too far away (?) from the junction box that goes into the house. IMHO, they'd have to run a 100' cable to get to the junction box. Not sure if that's an issue.

Here are some pictures of the dishes. One's aimed over the house (that's what's picking up 110) and the other is picking up 77, 72, and 61.5. The main dish that says "TurboHD" on it says seems to be aimed about 160 degrees and the one that's aimed over the house and says "500" on it seem to be pointed about 200 or 210.

101_1487.jpg

101_1488.jpg

101_1489.jpg

Let me add that while this is a rental property, I'm the only one dwelling in this structure. Does that mean that my roof is solely for my use and is not shared? Shouldn't that make a restriction against having a dish on my roof null?

Sounds to me like the OP was installed w/ Eastern Arc. If his locals are indeed off of 129 and the tech hit 110, it is just a matter of turning the dish to get 129, provided he has LOS.

negative.. The Eastern Arc dish cannnot receive signals from the western arc sats.
There is a lot of missing info here.
the OP needs to provide more details.

Let me add that while this is a rental property, I'm the only one dwelling in this structure. Does that mean that my roof is solely for my use and is not shared? Shouldn't that make a restriction against having a dish on my roof null?
ask the property owner if he will allow a roof mounted dish..
For a tech to refuse to do a particular mount " because of your lease agreement" sounds fishy.
When I deal with rental properties I ask the customer if they have a letter of permission from the property owner or management compnay that spells out restrictions. In the absence of written permission I ask to speak to the in charge people via phone and ask them directly the restrictions if any.
In the absence of both it's a reschedule.
The idea of getting verbal or written approval serves two purposes. One it covers both me and the renter. Two it describes restrictions is any.

What other information do you want? Ask me questions... not sure what you want to know.

I live on an AF base and there are 300 homes run by the same leasing company. One installer does the whole base - so he knows what restrictions the company puts on the homes here.

I'm thinking I might just move that second dish to the other side of the house - I know it'd work there. What's the longest cable I can run to my junction box on the outside of the house?

Thanks for all the replies!

What other information do you want? Ask me questions... not sure what you want to know.

I live on an AF base and there are 300 homes run by the same leasing company. One installer does the whole base - so he knows what restrictions the company puts on the homes here.

I'm thinking I might just move that second dish to the other side of the house - I know it'd work there. What's the longest cable I can run to my junction box on the outside of the house?

In this case it's whatever the leasing company says goes since you are on base.

You are limited to 200ft. I would recommend calling Dish to see what the technician thinks about it all.

No LIL that I can find

I looked at most of the sats that carry locals and couldn't find Tupelo/Columbus listed as being carried in either SD or HD. So there is no way that you will get HD LIL off sat. Now you could put up an OTA ant but won't have any guide info.

I looked at most of the sats that carry locals and couldn't find Tupelo/Columbus listed as being carried in either SD or HD. So there is no way that you will get HD LIL off sat. Now you could put up an OTA ant but won't have any guide info.

Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
COLUMBUS, MS ABC-WKDH
45 7760
COLUMBUS, MS CBS-WCBI
4 7761
COLUMBUS, MS FOX-WLOV
27 7763
COLUMBUS, MS NBC-WTVA
9 7762
COLUMBUS, MS PBS-WMAE
12 7766
COLUMBUS, MS ABC-WKDH HD
45 5250
COLUMBUS, MS CBS-WCBI HD
4 5251
COLUMBUS, MS FOX-WLOV HD
27 5253
COLUMBUS, MS NBC-WTVA HD
9 5252

Yeah there are definitely HD locals available.

I'm thinking of moving the dish myself. It'll be under 200 ft. If I use the dish that says "500" on it, and move it to the other side of the house, will it be pretty easy to set up? Do I have to some how tell the receiver to look for the other satellites? How do I tell if my HD locals are on 119 or 129?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts