Satellite newcomer overwhelmed!

P

profJames

Thread Starter
New Member
Jan 6, 2004
4
0
Aloha SGuys, I'm wanting to get NBA League Pass, that's all that I want. The local cable monopoly does'nt have it where I live (Hilo, HI). DirectTV does'nt offer it here either. DishNetwork has it here, but local outlets are disfavored, so I went about getting stuff and setting it up myself. I have an electronics background and a service business for music gear. Now I realize there's a lot I don't know about. I bought a 508, now I'm learning that there's lots of dish antennas but I dont' know which ones will work to get me NBA League Pass on a 508 receiver. Then there's the phone line problem. That service is so bad at my house I use the neighbor's land line and have only a cell phone. I was planning on using the neighbor's phone line if needed to get activated (there's no satellite next door). Please help me figure out what to get in order to complete the project with the 508.
 
AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
538
6
Connecticut
Why don't you sign up for Dish through Dish themselves. You'll get a free 510 receiver, free satellites and the rest of the installation done for you.

If you really want to do it yourself, then you'll need a Dish 500, which looks at 119/110. The NBA league pass is located on the same sats as normal programming. For pricing go to www.dishnetwork.com
 
cdru

cdru

Just another yahoo
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
1,117
0
Fort Wayne, Indiana
ROLLTIDE said:
or you could get a Club dish card from someone on here
With as many times as you've pimped your Club Dish cards, I'd think you'd be set for AEP+locals+more PPV than you can watch for the next 20 years. :)
 
P

profJames

Thread Starter
New Member
Jan 6, 2004
4
0
I'm looking for information about which dish antennas will work with a 508 - are there any that will not work? (legacy, Super, DirectTV, etc). And I'd like someone to walk through the part of setting up and using a dishnetwork system that involves using the phone line. I know people that have no phone line connected. Dishnetwork told me in an e-mail that it would'nt work without one (can you say they lied to me?). thanks again - PJ
 
M

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
profJames said:
I'm looking for information about which dish antennas will work with a 508 - are there any that will not work? (legacy, Super, DirectTV, etc). And I'd like someone to walk through the part of setting up and using a dishnetwork system that involves using the phone line. I know people that have no phone line connected. Dishnetwork told me in an e-mail that it would'nt work without one (can you say they lied to me?). thanks again - PJ

Yes, the person you talked to LIED to you. We have many cellular only customers who get service with no problem. The phone line has absolutely NOTHING to do with the activation or setup of the system. All downloads are done via satellite feed. DISH wants the phones hooked up for PPV revenue, interactivity (paying bill onscreen), and account security (making sure you're not sharing your receivers with neighbors).

A 508 receiver will work with any DISH or DirecTV dish, but won't work with certain DirecTV switches. It will work with the Legacy, DishPRO, and future DishPRO Plus DISH Network switches.

If you're in Hawaii, you would probably need a pretty large dish (you probably already know that).
 
AppliedAggression

AppliedAggression

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
538
6
Connecticut
I think we have to assume you're planning on stealing service if you don't want to sign up through Dish themselves. Why would you want to pay for this stuff out of your own pocket when you can get it all for free. I think we're done here.
 
ROLLTIDE

ROLLTIDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
1,222
79
Mobile,AL
cdru said:
ROLLTIDE said:
or you could get a Club dish card from someone on here
With as many times as you've pimped your Club Dish cards, I'd think you'd be set for AEP+locals+more PPV than you can watch for the next 20 years. :)

You would think so but I have sent out 5 cards and no one has used one yet .
 
M

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
ROLLTIDE said:
cdru said:
ROLLTIDE said:
or you could get a Club dish card from someone on here
With as many times as you've pimped your Club Dish cards, I'd think you'd be set for AEP+locals+more PPV than you can watch for the next 20 years. :)

You would think so but I have sent out 5 cards and no one has used one yet .

It takes 30-60 days for the credits to show up.
 
ROLLTIDE

ROLLTIDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
1,222
79
Mobile,AL
Well it's been over 100 days and the people that I sent them 2 will not answer there emails after asking for one .
 
P

profJames

Thread Starter
New Member
Jan 6, 2004
4
0
What kind of forum is this? Dish Network won't sign people up here in Hawaii - check their web site yourself. The local dealers are incompetent as far as I have found, I'm still looking for one that can put their shoes on correctly without adult supervision. I'd like to get one to hook me up, but I live in the most sparsely populated area of the most remote place on earth. Most people here have come to expect bad service, a change in expectations that I still have'nt made. I think that it was foolish of me to buy the 508 without reading up more on the nature of these satellite systems. I am not a thief. I don't like this forum. Goodbye.
 
S

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
8,907
1
Bay Area, CA
AppliedAggression said:
I think we have to assume you're planning on stealing service if you don't want to sign up through Dish themselves. Why would you want to pay for this stuff out of your own pocket when you can get it all for free. I think we're done here.

Oh man !

Your apology is welcome.
 
S

Shichonni

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 24, 2003
49
0
Just a note of clarification...Dish is offered in Hawaii, with several packages, so I don't get that professor's thought processes. Oh well.

:rolleyes:
 
M

Mainstreet

Satellite Guru
Supporting Founder
Oct 4, 2003
281
0
Texas
profJames said:
What kind of forum is this? Dish Network won't sign people up here in Hawaii - check their web site yourself. The local dealers are incompetent as far as I have found, I'm still looking for one that can put their shoes on correctly without adult supervision. I'd like to get one to hook me up, but I live in the most sparsely populated area of the most remote place on earth. Most people here have come to expect bad service, a change in expectations that I still have'nt made.

Sounds like I might need to move to Hawaii. Hmm. Sounds good to me!
 
P

Perfect Tech

frmr tech
Supporting Founder
Dec 18, 2003
67
0
ne. pennsylvania
All expenses paid for me and family and i just might finally take that vacation.What do you think?Then i would be more than happy to set this system up.
 

Similar threads

K
Replies
12
Views
2K
stevin
S
R
Replies
24
Views
3K
tsduke
tsduke
E
Replies
1
Views
726
Smith P.
S
H
Replies
66
Views
5K
comfortably_numb
comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top