Satellite newcomer overwhelmed!

profJames

Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Aloha SGuys, I'm wanting to get NBA League Pass, that's all that I want. The local cable monopoly does'nt have it where I live (Hilo, HI). DirectTV does'nt offer it here either. DishNetwork has it here, but local outlets are disfavored, so I went about getting stuff and setting it up myself. I have an electronics background and a service business for music gear. Now I realize there's a lot I don't know about. I bought a 508, now I'm learning that there's lots of dish antennas but I dont' know which ones will work to get me NBA League Pass on a 508 receiver. Then there's the phone line problem. That service is so bad at my house I use the neighbor's land line and have only a cell phone. I was planning on using the neighbor's phone line if needed to get activated (there's no satellite next door). Please help me figure out what to get in order to complete the project with the 508.

Why don't you sign up for Dish through Dish themselves. You'll get a free 510 receiver, free satellites and the rest of the installation done for you.

If you really want to do it yourself, then you'll need a Dish 500, which looks at 119/110. The NBA league pass is located on the same sats as normal programming. For pricing go to www.dishnetwork.com

ROLLTIDE said:
or you could get a Club dish card from someone on here
With as many times as you've pimped your Club Dish cards, I'd think you'd be set for AEP+locals+more PPV than you can watch for the next 20 years. :)

I'm looking for information about which dish antennas will work with a 508 - are there any that will not work? (legacy, Super, DirectTV, etc). And I'd like someone to walk through the part of setting up and using a dishnetwork system that involves using the phone line. I know people that have no phone line connected. Dishnetwork told me in an e-mail that it would'nt work without one (can you say they lied to me?). thanks again - PJ

profJames said:
I'm looking for information about which dish antennas will work with a 508 - are there any that will not work? (legacy, Super, DirectTV, etc). And I'd like someone to walk through the part of setting up and using a dishnetwork system that involves using the phone line. I know people that have no phone line connected. Dishnetwork told me in an e-mail that it would'nt work without one (can you say they lied to me?). thanks again - PJ

Yes, the person you talked to LIED to you. We have many cellular only customers who get service with no problem. The phone line has absolutely NOTHING to do with the activation or setup of the system. All downloads are done via satellite feed. DISH wants the phones hooked up for PPV revenue, interactivity (paying bill onscreen), and account security (making sure you're not sharing your receivers with neighbors).

A 508 receiver will work with any DISH or DirecTV dish, but won't work with certain DirecTV switches. It will work with the Legacy, DishPRO, and future DishPRO Plus DISH Network switches.

If you're in Hawaii, you would probably need a pretty large dish (you probably already know that).

I think we have to assume you're planning on stealing service if you don't want to sign up through Dish themselves. Why would you want to pay for this stuff out of your own pocket when you can get it all for free. I think we're done here.

cdru said:
ROLLTIDE said:
With as many times as you've pimped your Club Dish cards, I'd think you'd be set for AEP+locals+more PPV than you can watch for the next 20 years. :)

You would think so but I have sent out 5 cards and no one has used one yet .

ROLLTIDE said:
cdru said:
ROLLTIDE said:

You would think so but I have sent out 5 cards and no one has used one yet .

It takes 30-60 days for the credits to show up.

Well it's been over 100 days and the people that I sent them 2 will not answer there emails after asking for one .

What kind of forum is this? Dish Network won't sign people up here in Hawaii - check their web site yourself. The local dealers are incompetent as far as I have found, I'm still looking for one that can put their shoes on correctly without adult supervision. I'd like to get one to hook me up, but I live in the most sparsely populated area of the most remote place on earth. Most people here have come to expect bad service, a change in expectations that I still have'nt made. I think that it was foolish of me to buy the 508 without reading up more on the nature of these satellite systems. I am not a thief. I don't like this forum. Goodbye.

AppliedAggression said:
I think we have to assume you're planning on stealing service if you don't want to sign up through Dish themselves. Why would you want to pay for this stuff out of your own pocket when you can get it all for free. I think we're done here.

Oh man !

Your apology is welcome.

Just a note of clarification...Dish is offered in Hawaii, with several packages, so I don't get that professor's thought processes. Oh well.

:rolleyes:

profJames said:
What kind of forum is this? Dish Network won't sign people up here in Hawaii - check their web site yourself. The local dealers are incompetent as far as I have found, I'm still looking for one that can put their shoes on correctly without adult supervision. I'd like to get one to hook me up, but I live in the most sparsely populated area of the most remote place on earth. Most people here have come to expect bad service, a change in expectations that I still have'nt made.

Sounds like I might need to move to Hawaii. Hmm. Sounds good to me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)