Satellite on A/C

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sudn3sc3d

Original poster
Feb 22, 2009
New York
Is it possible to put a satellite on an air conditioner? I can't install it on the building because the management doesn't allow it, but I was thinking if it's possible to mount it on the air conditioner.

Sure, anything's possible.

It's also possible that vibrations from the thing while it's running would cause problems with it maintaining an adequate signal lock.

If you put it together we'd all love to see pictures of the finished product I'm sure....nothing like FTA it brings out the creative side in folks! Blind

I'm guessing the idea is you can't screw the dish to something the landlord owns (the building or the ground) but you can to something you own (the air conditioner). I'd say go for it and see if it works for you. You might try to find a free direcPC dish or something similar that is a little lighter weight. You may not get the best signal strength but if it doesn't work then you haven't risked as much money.

This got me thinking about the dish in a rock or dish under a patio umbrella. What if you were to get one of the really old, really big AC units and gut it. replace the condenser coils on the back with fake plastic ones and hide a dish inside the AC unit. It would be even better if the whole thing was plastic. I realize a lot of variables would have to be perfect for it to work but its a fun idea. Unfortunately you'd probably only have room for a smaller dish unsuitable for fta.

making a sat dish out of an AC?

Why not make a dish out of the AC? Integrate the dish into the ac. use struts to extend it, ask members what gauge of holes would be possible to still get signal...you might even be able to make the cover of the ac a dish. wow. i am spinning...i made the bad umbrella out of foil that picked up signal, but an ac? cool!@ how big could the vents be to still get a signal? anole might calculate the vent holes...what a cool looking ac that would be!@

Sounds like Mr. Smith was picturing a big ground-mounted air conditioner.
Or, at least I was. :)
Why not get us a picture of it, and some dimensions?
Then maybe we can offer better ideas?
Do you own this air conditioner?

Yeah, I too was picturing a big thing, that he likely does not own and is part of the "building". If it's a window unit that he does own and they can't tell him not to, by all means that would be interesting to see.

The dish will act as a canopy for the A/C unit by blocking some of the suns rays creating a more efficient A/C , what a great idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts