satellite priority

pcbelize

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 17, 2003
Does any one know the order of priority as to which satellite is used if a channel appears on multiple satellites?

I know that the 129 takes priority over 118.75. I know this because the Detroit locals are available on both the 118 and 129 but my system defaults to the 129 (even though I can not pickup the spotbeam on which they are located) over the 118.

Does the 61.5 take priority over 118? What about 61.5 vs 129?

I understanding is that there is no way to change the priority, so it would be nice to know what it is.

Thanks in advance.

It seems to change from time to time for me. Sometimes my HD locals come off 118.7 and sometimes 61.5. I can't tell the difference.

Ted

This has come up before, it shifts back and forth, there is speculation it depends on which way Dish happens to load the channels in the receiver's tables. When they do an uplink there seems to be a chance that the channel table changes and the receiver will jump to the other satellite. Currently no one has found a way to predict which satellite will get the business.

129 has priority over 61.5 or 118.7. 61.5 has priority over 118.7. It would be really nice to be able to assign which sat for which channel but that may never happen.

129 has priority over 61.5 or 118.7. 61.5 has priority over 118.7. It would be really nice to be able to assign which sat for which channel but that may never happen.

Yes it would. It is extremely frustrating to be able to receive the satellite (118) that has the locals I want to watch but not be able to watch them, without trading in all HD programming, because the receiver is trying to pull them from a spotbeam that that I can't get. :mad:

Thanks for the info.

Agreed

Yes it would. It is extremely frustrating to be able to receive the satellite (118) that has the locals I want to watch but not be able to watch them, without trading in all HD programming, because the receiver is trying to pull them from a spotbeam that that I can't get. :mad:

Thanks for the info.

Been there done that too. :confused:

Disconnect one of the sats from the switch, rerun checkswitch, reconnect the disconnected satellite, rerun checkswitch a second time, save results, now go to signal meter select the satellite and then the transponder you want to have priority, exit out and let it acquire using the satellite you just selected.

If that doesnt work follow steps again and before you exit out disconnect the one satellite lead from the satellite that you dont want to have priority but dont rerun checkswitch, then once guide is acquired reconnect satellite lead.

I have used this technique to give priority to ch 598 @ 118, instead of ch 598 @ 61.5 which is horribly overcompressed. The priority is assigned based on the satellite and tp your receiver used to acquire the channel guides after power failure, reboot or checkswitch, there is a way to overcome it though.

Maybe

Disconnect one of the sats from the switch, rerun checkswitch, reconnect the disconnected satellite, rerun checkswitch a second time, save results, now go to signal meter select the satellite and then the transponder you want to have priority, exit out and let it acquire using the satellite you just selected.

If that doesnt work follow steps again and before you exit out disconnect the one satellite lead from the satellite that you dont want to have priority but dont rerun checkswitch, then once guide is acquired reconnect satellite lead.

I have used this technique to give priority to ch 598 @ 118, instead of ch 598 @ 61.5 which is horribly overcompressed. The priority is assigned based on the satellite and tp your receiver used to acquire the channel guides after power failure, reboot or checkswitch, there is a way to overcome it though.

Tried this but didn't work at least when I had 129 & 118.7. 129 always won out over 118.7.

After a checkswitch reset procedure, on the signal meter select the transponder on 118 that has your locals, disconnect 129 into switcher, do not rerun checkswitch, make sure you are still on 118 locals tp on signal meter then exit out, also specifically try 118 tp 3, 7, or 30.

For rain fade reasons we should be able to have both loaded, I once had an old 3000 till about 2006 that used to load both channel 596 from 61.5 and 148 and all the duplicates so I would have 2 of each channel in the guide and could change channels if it was raining in one direction. I think this was later changed in a software update because of maximum channel in guide limits.

VIP series

After a checkswitch reset procedure, on the signal meter select the transponder on 118 that has your locals, disconnect 129 into switcher, do not rerun checkswitch, make sure you are still on 118 locals tp on signal meter then exit out, also specifically try 118 tp 3, 7, or 30.

For rain fade reasons we should be able to have both loaded, I once had an old 3000 till about 2006 that used to load both channel 596 from 61.5 and 148 and all the duplicates so I would have 2 of each channel in the guide and could change channels if it was raining in one direction. I think this was later changed in a software update because of maximum channel in guide limits.

Have you done this with VIP series receiver?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts