Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richinald

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
Aruba
Hello,

I am working on a project for a C-Band dish for FTA, and I was looking for quite some time for a C-Band satellite, and saw a very well designed satellite dish, I understood this dish is about 20 years old but very well made, maybe there is a user that can identify this dish manufacturer and design.

I have attached a picture of the actual satellite dish, for a good overview.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Richinald

Attachments

• IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 209
:welcome to the forum Richinald
Fiberglass quad panel. Has a C/Ku Corotor on it, nice! Can't tell much from this angle but a picture of the back of the dish and mount will be very telling.

Reactions: Richinald
Appears that they had guy wires holding the buttonhook in the center. Steel wire rusted into oblivion. Just the turnbuckles remaining.
Something about the picture tells me it's quite a ways above ground. Tall pole. (???)
Again: Welcome to Satelliteguys Richinald.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the replies on my question and for the welcoming words to the forum, I appreciate it very much.

I have provided additional pictures of the satellite, the satellite looks an great design and would be a great for picking up FTA C-Band, it has still the actuator mounted on it, just some small parts of the pole structure needs to be redone. The dish looks overall in an great condition, maybe the LNB should be changed, but this can be determined after making a test with the current LNB since it is an approximate 20 year old dish.

That is correct regarding the pole as member Fat Air described, the satellite dish is mounted on a pole that is a approximate height of an street light post, I understood the satellite was mounted at a certain height to receive the satellite broadcast with no obstructions of trees and other buildings.

Thanks.
Richinald

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    723.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_0233.jpg
    IMG_0233.jpg
    1,016.7 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_0229.jpg
    IMG_0229.jpg
    916.8 KB · Views: 175
I can't say I ever have seen a dish built like that. Interesting design. You sure have a lot of ambition for thinking of putting this back in service. I would not have described this as "overall great condition" ;). Three of the secondary dish supports are rusted completely away. one side of the dish "ring" is gone too. With these kind of rust issues evident, there should be more. Where ever fiberglass meets iron will be weak. While this is a very exciting hobby, don't waste your enthusiasm on a hopeless case. If you possess the ability to repair the structure yourself, then you may want to spend some time with it.

I'd keep looking. With only 4 attachment points of the dish to the framework (and only one bolt at each location), and the frame work itself in very far from pristine condition, (holes and 1/4 of it missing) the dish is likely warped.

Hello, thanks for all the advice given, I appreciate it very much and does give an better technical overview of a satellite dish aspects, Thanks again !

Hello,

I am working on a project for a C-Band dish for FTA, and I was looking for quite some time for a C-Band satellite, and saw a very well designed satellite dish, I understood this dish is about 20 years old but very well made, maybe there is a user that can identify this dish manufacturer and design.

I have attached a picture of the actual satellite dish, for a good overview.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Richinald

Welcome Richnald!

I would have said it is a Columbia; just by the feed prop; but looks like a prodelin; by the turnbuckles; but not prodelin by the mount; we used to see lots of them made in Mexico like it; was considered a clone. They would take a dish (a type liked); use the dish to mold with; then they would have a mold to manufacture with. And they would make a mount for it (and all the rest of the parts); and bling -> lower cost satellite dish!!! It looks like it is on the east coast; way the motor is mounted on West side (and in Aruba, it would be).

Would be a very heavy dish; made out of plastic/fiberglass?

You can make it work again; however. And new parts are available for it. I am always ready for one more if you ship it to me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts