Satellite Signal Meters

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

vc2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I have an El-Cheapo signal meter similar to the one here:

SignalCAT SATELLITE METER: SC-20P

It works ok with KU band LNBFs but not at all on C-Band LNBFs. The meter is pinned all of the time even when the sensitivity is turned all the way down.

I've been using a Pansat 2700 to perform dish alignment, but it's not convenient to drag out power and a display to perform the task.

I was searching on the web for something better that is not outrageously priced that will allow me to peak my C-Band antenna(s) and found these:

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/satellite_meter_signalcat.htmSatlink WS-6906 Satellite Signal Meter
http://www.harmonyfta.com/Megasat-Aries-Satellite-Signal-Meter_p_295.html

They appear to be the same model, but are priced differently.

I'd like to know if anybody has experience with either of these. They are battery operated and have a built in satellite receiver and display.

Has anybody here used either of these?
Comments?
Recommendations?

Have you tested it with C-Band LNBs?

Have owned and carried the Accutrac 22 in my tool kit for years. It is effective for determining if you are on a satellite, but useless for determining what satellite you are aimed at or adjusting skew and peaking Signal Quality. It is only a signal strength meter with a few extra whistles to determine if 22KHz tone is present, trigger 22KHz On/Off and measure voltage.

If your Signal Cat is effective when it isn't overloaded, try purchasing an attenuator (or Pad). Here is a link for a -3dB (every 3dB is a doubling of power) attenuator pad on eBay. Single items at a wholesale electronics store are usually less than $2 http://cgi.ebay.com/05-New-3dB-Inline-Attenuator-Pads-F-M-Coaxial-/200519832869

You might find a selection of different attenuation levels for a reasonable cost.

I use a Maxpeak SAM that I got off eBay for $250. Best meter I've ever used in my life. It retails for about $500, but if you can get it cheaper, it's worth every penny. It makes pointing and peaking a breeze. It can be a pain to hold and adjust at the same time, that is the only drawback. I mainly use it for C band, but works great with Ku as well.

I like the idea of a hand held receiver that powers and controls the LNBF (as long as it's not junk). I'm leaning toward this type of device as opposed to a simple meter. Basically, that's what I'm using now, but the equipment is not hand held or self powered.

Some of these devices are advertising spectrum analyzer capability, (but not all advertising this capability actually have it).

Has anybody used equipment in this category?

I use a Maxpeak SAM that I got off eBay for $250. Best meter I've ever used in my life. It retails for about $500, but if you can get it cheaper, it's worth every penny. It makes pointing and peaking a breeze. It can be a pain to hold and adjust at the same time, that is the only drawback. I mainly use it for C band, but works great with Ku as well.

I downloaded the manual. This one looks interesting.

Does it automatically identify the satellite?

Finding where I'm pointed been a problem. With analog, it wasn't an issue, but with digital, this has been a problem. I can point to a strong signal, do a scan, and find nothing.

The Maxpeak SAM won't automatically identify what bird you are pointing at, but will tell you the signal strength and quality of the bird you set it to in the meter. I set it to AMC 10 H and connect it to the horizontal LNB. I then try to find the bird by moving the dish around, and once I find it, I peak azimuth, elevation, and tilt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts