Satellite techs-how much paid for installs?

satellitetech

Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
I'm a satellite tech & trying to find out if other companies pay as bad as mine. I may get paid 86.50 for an install, but after they deduct "invoices" (which is where I buy the cable and small parts myself) and "parts" (which are parts used for a specific job) I'm only getting a little over half the original $86.50! Granted, it's their truck and gas, but that job could take anywhere from 2 to 6 hours...depending. Are there satellite companies that don't try to take their employees for stupid, and actually pay them good?!?! I'm in Kentucky.

In Louisville - got the private reply - but sorry - didn't know how to respond. How much does the company you work for pay for like 1 in 2? Just to compare. Only been doing this for a few months, but working long hours. I know I'll get quicker....I'm only finishing 2 to 4 jobs a day. Some are REAL *&*^*$! Like one house had 7 KIDS running and jumping over my stuff! I've heard other techs at work saying they know of other companies locally that pay better....and they keep losing employees. They do pay some on insurance, and do take out taxes, which to me, would be a pain to do myself!

I know install time varies...but on average, how many installs are you capable of in a day or weeks time? I know over time I'll be able to do better than an average of 2 to 4 a day...but how long will that take? Give me some encouragement guys!

satellitetech said:
I know install time varies...but on average, how many installs are you capable of in a day or weeks time? I know over time I'll be able to do better than an average of 2 to 4 a day...but how long will that take? Give me some encouragement guys!

satellitetech,
If you are doing 4 install in a day amd doing them right ground and the make them neat as possible then you are doing good most guys that say they do more then 4 is just putting them anyway to get paid. Believe me i know i am the QC tech for indiana and they is some shooty jobs out there for guys that try to do more than 4 jobs in a day that is if you are doing them by yourself
even a team of 2 guys you can do much more than that and do it right.

tyork

Well, I guess it depends if you want to be a hack, or if you have self-respect.

I treat every house as if it were my own. Last install I did (522/322, Quad LNB, 2 backfeeds) took me 7 hours. Of course, I'm paid better than the average grunt out there - MY boss if fair with the money, not like most of them. $175. my truck, his supplies.

Taking my time to do it right, that's $25/hour, and I'm a crippled up old man. You young bucks should be able to do it faster - AND STILL DO IT RIGHT.

One thing to consider is the team concept - inside/outside. A big part of why the install I mentioned was 7 hours was due to walking around the house over and over and over and over - all the doors were on the OTHER side of the house.

And while it's sadly not practical for most, a pre-install survey can be quite useful.

EDIT: TYORK and I are on the same page. :up :)

I also take the time to do my installs but I do not have a lot of business, I am located in the country, so I have more time to perform the installs and make sure they are done right. They take anywhere from 3-8 hours to perform. That is due to it being a SuperDish installation, it didnt take that long before the SuperDishes came out. I used to be able to get two in one day but have not attempted to have two scheduled the same day since I do not do much business.

I know a retailer that pays anywhere from $70 for 2 SuperDish installs and 1 SuperDish upgrade, another one that pays $50 an install, and another that pays $70 + $40 per additional receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts