Satellite / Transponder question...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ace68

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
Snow Belt, OH
My HD locals keep dropping out. D* says they are on SAT 103a transponders #1 & #2....I have upper 90's on #1 and nothing but zeros on #2. Does anybody think this is a dish pointing thing, I have no obstructions to the dish and all new RG6 & stainless F connectors, no multiswitches. All of my other SAT signal strengths are also upper 90's (except for the ones that are always low)

Most of the time the locals are perfect, but usually when I want to watch a HD local game, etc. it drops......D* says they can send a tech for $80 to check it out. I work for a cabling company so the cable and connections are not the issue (been tested)

I'm in the Cleveland area and no bad weather/wind as of late, any ideas???

Anything that I can try?

Thanks!

I'm wondering if you have the wrong TP numbers... if you are getting 0's you would never be getting a signal. If you're getting it sometimes and dropping out at others, you probably have a weak signal (like 50's or 60's), but I doubt it's on #2...

Tune to the HD local channel then switch to signal meter screen and using your finger press and hold for a minute on edge of the dish - at top, bottom, right, left - see if the signal will change; then you'll need to tune it for maximize the tpns reading.

Transponders that read zero can mean they are not available for you market much like N/A. Or during a heavy storm the signal is knocked down temporarily. You will not necessarily get all transponders on all 5 satellites.

I am still trying to figure out why it is important to know exactly what transponders carry what channels; if your dish is correct aimed/peaked, this info should be unnecessary to the end user.

I am still trying to figure out why it is important to know exactly what transponders carry what channels; if your dish is correct aimed/peaked, this info should be unnecessary to the end user.

What's important is that you are getting the channels you are paying for, if so, then the transponders should not concern you, I agree charper1.

If he willing and know how to tweak the dish, why not provide the info to him? I don't see illegality in the knowledge.
Now tell me why so much secrecy here in the knowledge ? I smell guano. :D

Exactly; and just because I can tell you today that CNN is on SAT 101, TPS 21 (example only) does not mean it will be there tomorrow or next week; they can and do change them, and the receiver just map them to what we call channel numbers - so who cares and it will not help aim or peak the dish to me. I have never needed it to install a DBS dish.

If you wish to tweak the dish it should be done on a Ka satellite, not a Ku satellite. The beamwidth of the dish is less on Ka band.

I know that, but what need do we have to know what service is on what transponder? What does that help or accomplish was the question. I see the other 2 threads on sat/transponder maps and they really are of no use.

That 's useful info especially if some channels have regular hiccups. You could find a reason by analyzing this - could be voltage drop/frequency attenuation/faulty switch or LNBF, etc.

That 's useful info especially if some channels have regular hiccups. You could find a reason by analyzing this - could be voltage drop/frequency attenuation/faulty switch or LNBF, etc.

Yes, I agree.

I have this info on my computer, but cannot figure out how to get it to this page.
I also don't know how up to date it is, it came from one of these two sat sites, maybe a search would do the trick.
I think it was from Digiblur, maybe he has a copy ...

Jimbo

Charper-
The reason I asked about the transponders is that D* said the reason my HD locals are always pixelating/dropping is that I am only getting 1/2 a signal because I need 90's on STA103a TP 1 & 2 (I always have 90+ on tp, but 0 on tp2), the first reply I got here thought that it might not be tp2, but another tp# . I only asked because maybe the CSR doesn't know what she is talking about, and I wanted to know if anybody here knew what TP I needed to check the signals on....

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys that's why I came here instead of calling back the D* rep, if anyone will know it's you guys!

Thanks!

Those charts doesn't cover locals on spot-beams of 103a; no official info posted, no technical way to get the tables from stream.
So far I saw one useful attempt to gather the info from us - DirecTV customers by Doug Brott at DBSTalk; each of us send ZIP code and observations what tpns are on and what signal level on each tpn, he compile the data into geographical map.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts