Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast

Directv being sold to Dish would be the best thing that could happen to either company at this point IMO.

It could be the other way around, but I doubt it. ATT has too many other businesses, while DISH is all about TV. I also wonder what DISH does with all the bandwidth it owns. If Sprint-TMobile merger falls apart I also think DISH ends up with Sprint. But who knows.

I think I read somewhere in this thread (or at least somewhere in Satellite guys) where someone said Direct indicated they will not be launching any more satellites. I suppose the same goes for Dish. As far as anyone knows, Is this correct?

Dish's parent company is Echostar which I believe owns the largest fleet of satellites in the world. They've got satellites all across the arc including spares, and I'm sure they plan to launch more.

What is the core business of an octopus? Devouring everything it can.

Their emblem isn’t the Death Star for nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: joewhite57
Oh hell no! Then there would be no competition at all for the millions who can't get anything else but satellite. We all better hope that doesn't happen.

Sirius and XM merged and the sky didn't fall. When the market for a product shrinks substantially, such as what's happening with Satellite TV, then I don't think it would be such a bad thing.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Sirius and XM merged and the sky didn't fall. When the market for a product shrinks substantially, such as what's happening with Satellite TV, then I don't think it would be such a bad thing.

Maybe many years from now but Dish still has about 10 million customers and DirecTV about 20 million. That still makes them two of the biggest program distributors and they are both still very profitable.

Sirius/XM was a totally different story.

Reactions: charlesrshell
they are both still very profitable.

I guess it depends on what the market considers "very profitable." From the many threads here related to the shrinking number of Dish subs (the hundreds of thousands of people leaving every year), it's not a stock I would currently invest in.

I like my Dish service and equipment, but we have to be realistic- the writing is on the wall. I understand there are folks here who are very invested in Dish as their employer/contractor etc, so it would be wise to take heed on these trends. Just my opinion.

Now, if the 5G stuff takes off and is able to help buoy up Dish's video biz, then that's a whole other story-

I guess it depends on what the market considers "very profitable." From the many threads here related to the shrinking number of Dish subs (the hundreds of thousands of people leaving every year), it's not a stock I would currently invest in.

I like my Dish service and equipment, but we have to be realistic- the writing is on the wall. I understand there are folks here who are very invested in Dish as their employer/contractor etc, so it would be wise to take heed on these trends. Just my opinion.

Very profitable means they make millions and millions of dollars every quarter. Stock is stock and often is influenced by 'factors' and 'analysts' that are total BS.

When the crack dealer approach to streaming ends and people have to start paying a lot more for it and their internet connection to get it then satellite will become much more attractive again.

Don't worry, we've covered our bases here. We are a full service Dish retailer as well as a full service AT&T dealer including wireless and phones. We also do a whole bunch of other things including surveillance, networking and TV's so we're about as diversified as we can get at this point.

When the crack dealer approach to streaming ends and people have to start paying a lot more for it and their internet connection to get it then satellite will become much more attractive again

While that is all speculation of course, I hope it's true. I'm not so sure, though. People look at satellite like it's "old tech." Even Dish's Sling TV commercials appear to cannibalize their own satellite service by calling it "Old TV." I don't see how satellite TV will all of a sudden come back into fashion again.

While that is all speculation of course, I hope it's true. I'm not so sure, though. People look at satellite like it's "old tech." Even Dish's Sling TV commercials appear to canniabalize their own satellite service by calling it "Old TV." I don't see how satellite TV will all of a sudden come back into fashion again.

We shall see... ;)

While that is all speculation of course, I hope it's true. I'm not so sure, though. People look at satellite like it's "old tech." Even Dish's Sling TV commercials appear to cannibalize their own satellite service by calling it "Old TV." I don't see how satellite TV will all of a sudden come back into fashion again.

And to add... We've been noticing more than a few customers who quit satellite to try out streaming and are now back to satellite. The grass isn't always greener.

Who knows? Look at Vinyl and Cassette sales.

We shall see... ;)
Unless they start converting a lot of Hd and Sd channels to 4K. Then the need to watch satellite might start building again. For a while the only way to get to watch Hd back in the 2000s was through satellite . Directv had more than DISH did at first and people would go to them for that reason. All it would take is the tv channel companies started to convert to 4k and DISH could find an mgeg 4 compression scheme that allows them to fit more 4K channels on one transponder without the customer seeing a drop in picture quality.

Maybe many years from now but Dish still has about 10 million customers and DirecTV about 20 million. That still makes them two of the biggest program distributors and they are both still very profitable.

Sirius/XM was a totally different story.

Fixed costs remain the same. DISH and DIRECT have to find ways to reduce their variable costs, and hope after all of this they can find a decent profit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts