Satellite TV’s Orbit Is Failing Fast

That's one way, but for the immediate future (meaning right now), I've always wondered why the on demand content couldn't be in 4k. After all, if you want to watch something on demand, it downloads to the hopper over the internet and when it's complete you can watch it. So if they allowed the downloaded content to be in 4k it probably would take a bit longer to download, but that's about it. Am I correct?
I think so.

I think so.
If there are no issues such as technical, financial, copyright, etc. I would think Dish should consider offering 4k content for on Demand. They can then advertise that they offer the most 4k content of any cable/satellite service. That's got to be good for Dish, right?

If there are no issues such as technical, financial, copyright, etc. I would think Dish should consider offering 4k content for on Demand. They can then advertise that they offer the most 4k content of any cable/satellite service. That's got to be good for Dish, right?
I have a feeling that this will be the way most people with any cable or satellite service will do to get any 4k shows. There is not a demand for 4k channels and if there ever is a demand they will have moved on to 8k by then anyway. In my opinion DISH should of provided an option to up convert all content to 4k picture quality instead of just 1080i or 4k. Like Netflix does or any thing on my 4k Amazon fire tv stick or 4k roku stick. Then there wouldn't be a feeling that they are missing out on 4k. Besides it is very hard to see a difference between 1080p and 4k unless you walk right up to the screen and look at the pixels. I think it has been nothing more than a gimmick to get people to upgrade all their tvs and equipment to 4k . I know when I bought my first 4k tv I had to also buy a 4k a/v receiver and upgrade to a 4k blu ray player and of course buy all new high speed digital hdmi cables to see any difference at all. Older Hdmi cables don't show 4k and not many people even knew that when they first came out with 4k tvs.

Reactions: sam_gordon
If there’s little demand for 4K, why would they come out with 8K?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
Its a gimmick to sell new tvs ,duh. Just like 4k was. When we changed from SD to HD there was a marked difference in picture quality that you could clearly see with the naked eye. There has been no marked difference between HD and 4k ,but it was sold to make you upgrade your tv , avr, blu-ray players and such to 4k . They will sell 8k as more pixels ,which there will be , but you won't be able to see it with the naked eye unless you sit up close to the screen just like with 4k. But many will pay to upgrade their tvs and other equipment to get the newest and latest technology because they think they will have to have it. The industry itself depends on people doing this every 5 - 10 years now to keep it churning out and selling more tvs and other video/audio equipment.

Its a gimmick to sell new tvs ,duh. Just like 4k was. When we changed from SD to HD there was a marked difference in picture quality that you could clearly see with the naked eye.
Exactly. going from SD to HD was dramatic because it not only afforded higher resolution but widened the screen to 16:9 which was immediately noticeable to the consumer. 4k, not so much (although HDR improves contrast/color on certain larger TV's noticeably) , and the lack of 4k content generally available slows its adoption too.

Finally, I think that the fact that 8k looming somewhere over the horizon, if anything, will serve to dissuade broadcasters from rushing to 4k.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I’m not sure 8K would make much difference over 4K even in a movie theater.

Certainly not in the home.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
Its a gimmick to sell new tvs ,duh. Just like 4k was. When we changed from SD to HD there was a marked difference in picture quality that you could clearly see with the naked eye. There has been no marked difference between HD and 4k ,but it was sold to make you upgrade your tv , avr, blu-ray players and such to 4k . They will sell 8k as more pixels ,which there will be , but you won't be able to see it with the naked eye unless you sit up close to the screen just like with 4k. But many will pay to upgrade their tvs and other equipment to get the newest and latest technology because they think they will have to have it. The industry itself depends on people doing this every 5 - 10 years now to keep it churning out and selling more tvs and other video/audio equipment.

Ding ding! We have a winner! :)