Satellite vs. Blu-ray: DISHing up 1080p

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Found a nice article giving Dish kudos for their 1080p quality. Everyone has an opinion and this is just one reviewer " Brent Butterworth" of Sound and Vision. Link is here.
Given that this clown could not even get right what was the first 1080P movie offered or the price of the first two entries I would put much trust in anything he says. I know my points may be a nit but it bothers me when "simple" facts are not even part of an article.:(

Given that this clown could not even get right what was the first 1080P movie offered or the price of the first two entries I would put much trust in anything he says. I know my points may be a nit but it bothers me when "simple" facts are not even part of an article.:(

I stopped reading when it said
For the last two years, the hot numeric specification has been 1080p, which refers to a progressive-scanned video image measuring 1,080 pixels vertically and 1,920 pixels horizontally.

1,080 pixels? ...... 1,080 lines

LOL...you guys are harsh..but yes, those basic mistakes do not make for a very confidence in anything else he has to say.

What happened to the 1080p stuff? I saw "10,000bc (1080p)" in my VOD within the first couple of days..now I have like 9 or 10 VOD but none sayd "1080p" in the title. Did they take that out? Is all HD in VOD in 1080p now?

LOL...you guys are harsh..but yes, those basic mistakes do not make for a very confidence in anything else he has to say.

What happened to the 1080p stuff? I saw "10,000bc (1080p)" in my VOD within the first couple of days..now I have like 9 or 10 VOD but none sayd "1080p" in the title. Did they take that out? Is all HD in VOD in 1080p now?

DITTO

Look at it this way, this guy wrote a evaluation of the service. Based on some basic errors in his write up it could be surmised that he may not know what he is talking about.

That puts him in the solid majority. What he did say is it looks pretty good until you get up close to the screen. Any idiot will be able to identify with that statement.

If I lived 10 to 20 miles away from the nearest video store renting Blu-ray movies I might consider giving the E* 1080p VOD service a serious try. Unfortunately for E* I am not one of those rural kinds of customers.

$6.99 for a 24 viewing window is not good deal when I have two video stores nearby offering $4.99 for 5 day and $5.99 for 7 day BD rentals. The BDs have superior video quality, lots of extras and you have a few days to accommodate repeat viewings or other family members watching the movie at their convenience.

If I lived 10 to 20 miles away from the nearest video store renting Blu-ray movies I might consider giving the E* 1080p VOD service a serious try. Unfortunately for E* I am not one of those rural kinds of customers.

$6.99 for a 24 viewing window is not good deal when I have two video stores nearby offering $4.99 for 5 day and $5.99 for 7 day BD rentals. The BDs have superior video quality, lots of extras and you have a few days to accommodate repeat viewings or other family members watching the movie at their convenience.

Netflix my friend, Netflix.......even with the $1 price increase a month for Blu-Ray, if you watch 2 Blu-Rays a month at the Dish or Movie Store Price, you have broken even.

Lines are made of pixels. Their is no line flowing constantly from one side of the screen to the other on a digital screen.

But that line may have 1920, 1440, 1280 or some other # of pixels transmitted to it.

Netflix my friend, Netflix.......even with the $1 price increase a month for Blu-Ray, if you watch 2 Blu-Rays a month at the Dish or Movie Store Price, you have broken even.

Has anyone tried that NetFlix box they are trying to sell for $100 that downloads the movies instead? I imagine those aren't in HD are they?

Has anyone tried that NetFlix box they are trying to sell for $100 that downloads the movies instead? I imagine those aren't in HD are they?

No, but I have the $399 box that says PS3 (Xbox will do it too) and does the same thing via Play On Media Server and that does not do HD, too much processing to do HD transcoding from the PC, I am not sure how the other boxes work, but have not see any HD watch now offerings on the Netflix site, so my guess is no.:rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts