Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Echostar Satellite Services delivers transponder capacity for news organizations during 2008 U.S. Elections

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Oct. 13, 2008 – EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS) and its EchoStar Satellite Services announced today that it is providing extensive satellite capacity, event coordination and monitoring services from more than 50 Ku-band satellite transponders to a large majority of U.S. and international television news and broadcast organizations during the 2008 U.S. elections. EchoStar made the announcement in advance of the Satellite and Content Delivery Conference (SATCON) in New York Oct. 15-16. EchoStar’s booth (#525) is located in the center of the main hall at the Jacob Javits Convention Center.

On election day, EchoStar’s Satellite Access Centers located at the Digital Broadcast Transmission facilities in Cheyenne, Wyo., and Gilbert, Ariz., will manage more than 300 independent signal paths to dozens of television news outlets across the United States. Using uplink trucks and affiliate TV stations, networks can send and receive local live election coverage via satellite.

“To deliver this much capacity, more than 1,500 megahertz, for a one-day event is unheard of in the space segment industry,” said Steve Skalski, vice president of EchoStar Satellite Services. “With EchoStar’s U.S. fleet of powerful FSS Ku-band satellites, we are able to provide an immediate solution for occasional-use bandwidth requirements, all at competitive rates.”

EchoStar’s highly reliable network is available for backhaul, aggregation and distribution of video and audio content domestically and internationally. EchoStar represents a significant source of Ku-band and Ka-band satellite capacity with access to a fleet of satellites, sophisticated ground-based teleport facilities, an expansive 160-city fiber optic network and 24-hour Traffic, Technical Operations and Satellite Access Centers staffed by highly trained engineers and technicians.

For more information on EchoStar Satellite Services or for occasional or full time satellite bandwidth, contact 866-359-8804 or email efss@echostar.com.

Glad we have so much extra bandwidth, how about spreading the love and giving the subs, you know, the ones that support your service, some new HD, or even bringing some old HD like Voom back????

Problem is this this is all on 105 and 121. I don't think we all want to get massive Superdishs, nor do I thing Dish wants install them for all HD customers.

Glad we have so much extra bandwidth, how about spreading the love and giving the subs, you know, the ones that support your service, some new HD, or even bringing some old HD like Voom back????

Because those channels and Dish Network have yet to come to an agreement.

It's not a bandwidth issue, it is a $$ issue.

Unrelated example:

Microsoft offerred to buy Yahoo for around $30 per share. Yahoo said that was too low. Today, Yahoo shares trade for roughly $15 per share.

So, only the passage of time can tell you who was unrealistic is any negotiations, you can't tell at the time.

I know it is a money issue, but that was not the excuse that Charlie uses. They released a PR saying that by removing Voom they freed the capacity for the HD Channels that were added just prior to the removal of Voom. They lied........they do the very same about the other National HD. Remember all the National HD Charlie promised when the new bird was live? What have we gotten? Diddly squat if my math is right........

I did notice Voom still has a Message to the Dish Customers on their site. I wonder if the 2 parties are even still talking.....