Satellite vs cable/fiber optic or other?

I'm wondering how they're going to handle the local governments they signed deals with. Verizon is now not going to cover the percent of market that they promised. At least here in Fairfax County, they signed a deal to cover a certain percentage of the county, with specified goals and timetables. I wonder what the penalty clause is, and if it will be enforced.

Hopefully, they aren't considering dropping the Fios program, but are only delaying it.
From what I've read, they will finish what they have started. But that's it. On top of that, they are selling 11 of their 18 Fios states to Frontier, which they will merely maintain.
http://hothardware.com/News/Verizon-To-Sell-FiOS-Markets-In-11-States-Focus-On-Wireless/

Last edited:
Let's just hope they don't abandon their video service, which apparently has fallen far short of it's sales goals.

You are asking about only one aspect. That's fine if that's all you want to know. In the 14 or so years I have had Dish, virtually never have I lost the signal for any sustained amount of time. Cable/Fios seems to go out relatively often - power outage (and I mean other than a power outage affecting my house), car into pole, pole fire, wires taken down by truck, etc.. etc.... It certainly depends on the area you live in, but in CT it Cable goes out too often I feel.
If you live in an area where there are not poles, such as most areas around here, that is not an issue. No utility poles anywhere near my house

For many years Dish has had more band width available ! how they use it is their choice. But on the west coast Direct has to use 5 satellites to present their line up Vs. 3 locations for dish, dish thought ahead to make sure they had the transponder availability. Can you see the problem on doing anything big with direct ? Get it past Direct, then Hughes, Then G.M. Geez Hey I am not in love with either one !
Not true at all.

For SD you only need one satellite, 101. For HD you only need two, 99 and 103. For both you only need those three. In fact here you only need 1 dish with Direct for HD, locals, and SD, with Dish you need 2 dishs

If you live in an area where there are not poles, such as most areas around here, that is not an issue. No utility poles anywhere near my house

We lived in San Diego for five years. We lost electrical power only once - due to a canyon fire.

Here in the DC suburbs we lose power often.

If you're referring to Fios, again, yes they are.

If you're saying that Fios is in fact going to abandon their video service I would love to see the source of that statement. I see where they have sold off some of their holdings, but I can find nothing suggesting they are going to abandon anything. Indeed, in my area they continue to install infrastructure so as to expand their service area.

If you're saying that Fios is in fact going to abandon their video service I would love to see the source of that statement. I see where they have sold off some of their holdings, but I can find nothing suggesting they are going to abandon anything. Indeed, in my area they continue to install infrastructure so as to expand their service area.

Post #22.

Post #22.
Do you mean, "All told, 18 states have (or soon will have) FiOS, and soon, it looks like 11 of them will be handed off to someone else." to translate to mean "saying that Fios is in fact going to abandon their video service ?"

Do you mean, "All told, 18 states have (or soon will have) FiOS, and soon, it looks like 11 of them will be handed off to someone else." to translate to mean "saying that Fios is in fact going to abandon their video service ?"

uhhhggg! I thought it was pretty clear. Do a search on this site, where it has been discussed. In the cable/fios, etc forums. It's old news.

Last edited:
uhhhggg! I thought it was pretty clear. Do a search on this site, where it has been discussed. In the cable/fios, etc forums. It's old news.
Sorry to have bothered you. I didn't mean to be a burden. I'll not waste my time any more - however, I will look out for an improved Fios DVR in the future and likely jump ship.

Last edited:
Not true at all.

For SD you only need one satellite, 101. For HD you only need two, 99 and 103. For both you only need those three. In fact here you only need 1 dish with Direct for HD, locals, and SD, with Dish you need 2 dishs

Outdated. The large majority of Dish customers will only need one dish now, for Eastern Arc or Western Arc.

And my own post earlier about Fios TV not meeting sales expectations is also outdated. Per this and that they seem to be doing fine with TV, growth rate wise, but still only have about 3.5 million TV customers. Not in the best position to haggle with content providers.

And the Fios section of this board is almost dead.

So if the infrastructure was in place fiber optic would offer the most bandwidth. Will Satellite be supplemental in the future or is it simply a matter of adding more satellites to meet demand?

They put the Fiber to the house only when you order service, so the neighbors on my street who have Fiber to their house with FiOs already have service with them. If another neighbor who currently does not have fiber to the house decides to order FiOs in the future will they put Fiber to their house as well since that is how they did all of the other houses on the same street?

navychop said:
Outdated. The large majority of Dish customers will only need one dish now, for Eastern Arc or Western Arc.

I've been using just one Dish since I've been a customer the past 3+ years... right now I have a "1000" and before that there was the "super" dish for Dish Network.

In any case I go with the least expensive package which is costing me about $22 with locals.

They put the Fiber to the house only when you order service, so the neighbors on my street who have Fiber to their house with FiOs already have service with them. If another neighbor who currently does not have fiber to the house decides to order FiOs in the future will they put Fiber to their house as well since that is how they did all of the other houses on the same street?

Yes, Verizon is not abandoning video service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts