Satellite won't budge. New Actuator needed?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bruce23

Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Hi, I've had my Satellite system for about 6-7 years and I've just replaced the receiver and positioner recently. I've been experiencing this problem quite often, usually after some big winds or a storm. However, the problem was usually gone the next day and I could move the satellite fine. But this time my satellite just won't budge. It hasn't for almost a week now and I've replaced the positioner (VBOX II) with a new one but still no help. There were some pretty heavy winds last week which caused a few power outages and a lot of damage to trees and houses. My power went out too, but the satellite worked fine the next day until 3-4 days later. I was changing the satellite position and it stopped moving and an ER2 appeared on the positioner. This was always what appeared but went away the next day but this time it looks like theres something wrong. So I was just wondering if any of you guys know what the problem could be or some solutions. Would a new LNB or Actuator be necessary? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I believe E2 is No Response from reed sensor. Double check all connections at VBox and Actuator. Also look for corrosion / spiders / webs. May just need to clean / replace sensor.

Many actuators will move only a click or 2 at a time without the feedback pulse. What about removing the arm and checking for free movement physically? Perhaps the dish is binding or damaged by the wind or lack of lubrication. Common sense applicable here as dishes can be heavy and awkward especially if high in the arc. A helper comes in handy.

Continuity of the wiring can be checked when disconnected on both ends. Cables in turn connected together and tested with an ohmmeter testing the entire circuit. Output for the motor can be tested when connected with a voltmeter on 36v scale.

It turned out that one of the wires along the gutter was damaged by some pesky cockatoos and so every time it rained the actuator would not work. It looks like it received more damage this time. Luckily, I've fixed the wires and everything moves now. I originally planned on installing a new actuator which I bought today but it seems there is no need for that now.

Thanks to all that tried to help, I greatly appreciate it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts