SatelliteGuys First - Complete Pocket Dish Info!

These look very nice. I've looked through the 4" model's manual and it seems a robust little device. I also like the Archos '1 dead/stuck pixel' warranty limitation...most manufacturers have 6-7 pixel caps before they'll fix/replace a unit. Shows they have rigorous QC.

My main question goes back to whether you can transfer 16:9 HD content to the device. This should be able to be accomplished by way of an on-the-ply downrezzing (as is done through the 942's analog s-video out--OOPS, I forgot, they didn't put S-Video on these 942s for some reason :)), shouldn't it? Nowhere did I see a concrete statement on whether you could or couldn't dump HD content onto the devices through such a process. Or did I miss something? Any ideas, Scott...anyone?

Thanks Scott, and that brings me to the next question, which is whether I would be able to do a direct transfer from a 721 or 942 to a PocketDish device (say the 700E)? Also, is 40 GB the MAX size on HDD on the pocket dish? Are these available as of now? Is there a comparison available somewhere between the AV700 from Archos and the PocketDish AV700E? I would assume that if direct transfer is possible on the pocketdish, that would be the only difference.

These are much cooler than I had thought they would be. Could this be huge for Dish? Is anyone else ready to sell a similar item?

I just don't see my having any use for a Pocket Dish...but that's just me. However, I spend 3 hours a day on the road commuting. If Dish could find a way for me to watch the Pocket Dish without my crashing my vehicle like Toonces the Driving Cat, then I will gladly buy one. It would truly be a revolutionary product.:cool:
toonces2.jpg

I see it as a travel device. You can clear your memory card from your camera onto it. You've got shows to watch that you actually like. You can have a large music selection for the car. I wonder how hard it would be to transfer DVDs to it? It would sure give the kid soemthing to do when on the road to somewhere.

No Hd

Just got the AV700E in today. Very cool, Very sturdy little device. It feels like it was build well. I was a little disappointed when I went to transfer HD from my 942 I got a message telling me that it cant be done at the moment.

No problem with the standard definition, it took about 8 minutes to transfer a 60 min CSI episode.

I then hooked it up to my laptop and the file navigation was very smooth. Just like using windows explorer. You have access to all of the files on the pocket dish. I transferred CSI to my computer but the file is a .dpd witch my computer does not recognize.

I searched google for .dpd file extension and had no luck. Im sure someone will write a program that can read .dpd

I was able to create new and custom picture, video, and music folders in the pocket dish from my laptops windows explorer. I then stuffed them full of my favorite home videos, pics, and songs. Everything played with no problems.

I will be much happier with the pocketdish as soon as I can transfer HD and then transfer that to my laptop.

I can see it now, P2Pocketdishdottcomm, git it while its hot boys, this domain won’t last long.

The way we look at TV is changing right in front of our faces. In the very near future we will all receive TV and music on demand via RSS and WiMAX.

“welcome home bob, you have a new Scott Greczkowski SatelliteGuys Newscast waiting for you. Would you like for me to play it?”

Neither one of the Pocket DISH models can store/play HD programs, unfortunatly, from what I was told at CEDIA.
So, no VOOM and no HDNet on Pocket Dish!

I wish my 921 had a USB port....oh wait.... it does... good thing it doesn't function... I might be able to use it, and that would be downright tragic. :smug :cool:

No HD content (even down-rezed) will transfer to the PocketDish?

Whutzupwhitdat????????????????????????

Sorry, Charlie, won't buy one until HD can be moved to it in some fashion.

Dang, you know, there is ALWAYS some sort of major downside to most new geek devices.

With the world moving rapidly to HD, this is a major design blunder.

David Dietzel said:
No HD content (even down-rezed) will transfer to the PocketDish?

Whutzupwhitdat????????????????????????

Sorry, Charlie, won't buy one until HD can be moved to it in some fashion.

Dang, you know, there is ALWAYS some sort of major downside to most new geek devices.

With the world moving rapidly to HD, this is a major design blunder.

I have to disagree a little. The US is moving to digital quickly, but get away from sites/forums like this and there are relatively few that have HD, and few that would insist on having it.

By the time the public is screaming for HD in a device like this, the ones we can buy today will be paperweights. That is not to say that there are not people who want HD in their PocketDish. I'm just saying that it is not a design blunder by any means.

No HD seems odd, only because the top two units have 16:9 screens and SD programming is 4:3. The PocketDish would need to handle the full resolution MPEG file since down-rezing and re-encoding MPEG2 would take more CPU power than I think the 942 has. Too bad the 942 doesn't have s-video out so you would get the best possible vidcap on the PocketDish.

No Hd, Yet!

The message I received when attempting to download HD was, "you can not transfer HD AT THIS TIME" as if they were working on it.

Sometime this week I will attempt to transfer HD from my laptop to the Dishplayer to see it it is able to play HD at all.

Okay, the units come with a 16:9 aspect ratio screen, but can't download HD content from the 942. So does this mean that the SD content that it does download is distorted / stretched to fit the 16:9 screen? Is it possible to NOT distort 4:3 content and show it at true 4:3 without cropping on the Pocket Dish player?
Edit: I just read the pdf for the 700. It appears that it does support "native" resolution without stretching or cropping of the image. I may consider getting one if they can figure out how to get my favorite shows (all HD) transferred to the player.

What info is there on wich dvr/pvr's this will connect to? Im wondering if it will only connect to the dvr's such as 510, 522, 625, and 942 or if it will be all save for maybe the 501.

Interesting!. So this also does not have a slot for a CF card. Rather, one would have to use a USB connection to connect directly from cameras or use a cf to usb device.

Ok, you posted a good summary of the different models, but you didn't give the display resolutions. Do you happen to know what they are?

Thanks,

Glor

It looks like the 522/625 needs a S/W update befor it will work with it.
I want to load content from my DVR to it and then beable to playback to a TV when Im away on Travel.
If it can do that and retain the original PQ Im very likely to buy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)