SatelliteGuys FIRST LOOK - DISH's Hopper and Joey

Section 6 - Tuner & OTA Talk plus Final Thoughts

First, the tuners: for a majority of DISH’s customers, 3 tuners will be MORE than enough, but for my family we have found ourselves fighting almost every night once PrimeTime Anytime kicked in. When PTAT kicks in one tuner is devoted exclusively to the PTAT recordings. That leaves you with 2 live tuners.
Wouldn't you be able to select a PTAT program that has just started recording from the DVR menu? Wouldn't that help get you with limited tuners?

Hmmm for my setup, I'd want a hopper for the living room and joey for master bedroom, then hopper for kid 1 and joey for kid 2. I have 2 teenagers that watch and record alot.

Will the joeys be able to watch recorded content from BOTH hoppers?
Hopper integration is still being worked on (software issue), so for now the Hoppers won't be able to see each other, and each Joey would be paired to a specific Hopper.

Section 4: It's Prime Time Anytime!

One of the Hoppers major new features is the addition of PrimeTime Anytime,
Scott, great write-up! Retweeted and added to the EKB page last night.

Coincidentally, I put up a new page EKB: PrimeTime Anytime only about an hour before you posted your review. Could you help with these questions?

1. When a program is saved to your DVR space, is that a move or a copy? I think it will need to be a copy for my next question.

2. I understand viewing and saving PTAT events follows the DVR start-early/end-late defaults. If you save back-to-back programs, does the first one keep the overlap into the second, and then does the second still get the overlap into the first? This is very important since Dish doesn't provide an accurate EPG for programs that start at :01, :02 and :03.

3a. Has recurring save been added in any of the flurry of beta updates or is it still a future feature?
3b. How many can be set up?
3c. Are these separate from event timers (they don't reduce the number available) or another timer type (auto-tune, ext, dvr, ptat)?

4. We got 2 different answers on how much of the transponder is recorded and if PTAT can be watched live.
4a. Is the entire tp recorded, including non-PTAT channels, and then the PTAT channels are extracted? Or does the tuner record only the PTAT channels?
4b. Can any Hopper/Joey viewer watch a PTAT event live, or do they need to Start Over from the DVR listing to watch "almost live?"

5. When a sports event is scheduled to end in prime time, the whole channel is extended by an hour (or whatever the sports default has been changed to?). What happens if p-t gets pushed back by a sports event that was supposed to end before the beginning of p-t?

6. I assume Hopper will only allow 2 timers during p-t. Will the user get a conflict resolution allowing override of PTAT for that night, or will he have to manually disable PTAT before p-t then re-enable it later?

7a. When all 3 tuners are being used for live TV, which one does PTAT take over?
7b. Is it always the same tuner, or just whichever one is not in use?

ty scott for the write up and showing us pics as you go and ty for all you and your admins do :)

Scott, great write-up! Retweeted and added to the EKB page last night.

Here are the answers from what I remember. I am not home at the moment to try it again on the production software, so some things might have changed from the beta software I was using...

1) Copied
2) I believe it is 3 minutes.
3) a. You can set a timer and have it be recurring (even if its PTAT)
b. Answered in the DISH Answers thread, I dont remember the number off the top of my head. But because of PTAT you use a lot less timers.
c. no I don't believe they are seperate
4) a) The entire transponder is recorded.
b) they can watch live. (well almost live, I do notice a split second diffence between the Hoppers and Joeys when tuned to the same thing.)
5) I haven't see that yet so can't tell you. I can tell you that it was not extended for the Acadamy Awards as mine stopped recording just as they were announcing the winner of best Picture. (But I should note I was on Beta software then)
6) You have to manual disable PTAT.
7a) dont know
b) Grabs one that is not in use.

Scott - Great overall first impression - thanks! Can you tell me if the Joeys have their own favorites lists, or if they have to use the Hopper's?
I tested this when I first got it and it appeared the Favorites lists were shared between the receivers. I dont know if its changed since then though.
Sharing (1) favorite lists like that shouldn't be a big deal throughout the house. What would be annoying is if it each device, i.e. Joey1, Joey2, Hopper1, etc forgets which favorite list it was on each time they're turned "on".

(1) I wish they'd enable more sharing options, such as on the ViP receivers. I hate having to set channel locks at TV1 and also at TV2. Give me the option to use TV1's list or make a new list, for example.

Scott - Great overall first impression - thanks! Can you tell me if the Joeys have their own favorites lists, or if they have to use the Hopper's?

They have one already except its not called the Hopper II it's called the Hopper X2
There's that ^^^ bug again ^^^ It appears the multi-quote toggle gets stuck

I guess that is reason enough for Dish not to consider an update to the Hopper in the future to enable/add tuners since they have this option.

Sorry if I missed this in the review, but does the Hopper have the HomePlug technology that the 622/722 have? I currently HomePlug to network my 622 and 722 to my wireless router, and I'd hate to give up this feature.

Tuner tied up

Scott, could you explain a little more about your statement " Other times tuners are not available because the person who was watching TV forgot to shut off their Joey when they were done, in turn locking that tuner out to others who want to watch TV. The only way to grab that tuner is to join the tuner by pressing the red button on the remote and then change channels which then effectively releases the tuner". Red button on which remote? Does that mean the user has to turn the Joey off as if it were a receiver? If they just turn the TV off the tuner is no longer available to the system? You would physically have to go to the room where the Joey is located and turn it off?

Sorry if I missed this in the review, but does the Hopper have the HomePlug technology that the 622/722 have? I currently HomePlug to network my 622 and 722 to my wireless router, and I'd hate to give up this feature.

no they do not. you will need an HIC (Hopper Internet Connector) for that.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Hey Scott, did you connect an EHD with recordings already on it to your Hopper? Wondering if that all worked smoothly. Another thread in the Hopper Zone mentioned it didn't.

Just got mine installed today. My hopper is working but not communicating with the Joeys. The installer said it was a software issue with the hopper & would bring out a new hopper tomorrow morning. Anybody else having this problem?

I don't think there's a problem with anyone saying it doesn't work for them. But to generalize that into posts along the lines of "it's a failure because it doesn't do everything and then some" is unrealistic.

The design goal here was to get the bulk of their installation scenarios covered with a few units. We are the minority of the customer base -- power users usually are.

The people I have spoken to about this system are far from power users. Just your standard run of the mill family of 3 or 4. I would never say anything negative about any product that fits the majority of their customers. Unfortunately this one does not fill the gap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts