This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

I had previously installed v2.3 and just recently bought (but not yet received) my Sling Adapter. Can anyone e-mail me the previous version of the iPhone app? I've contacted both Apple (via their website) and Dish (via Facebook), but thought someone here may respond quicker... PM me for the address.

iOS apps don't work that way. Each copy is encrypted with DRM that can only be unlocked by the iTunes account that purchased/downloaded it. Even if it was a free app.

You should still have the previous version on your computer if you had it before. Check in your iTunes folder (in My Documents/My Music if Windows, User Folder/Music if Mac). If it's not there, check your trash/recycle bin. If you haven't emptied it since you downloaded the newest version, it should at least be there. If you find it, delete the new version from iTunes and drag the old version back in.

So if I have both versions on my iTunes folder, I should delete the most recent version from my PC, delete the app from my iPhone and then resync?

Just got off the phone with Dish Tech, Advanced Support. They indicate that a new version of the Dish Remote software should be available within the next 2-3 days on iTunes for download that will fix the problem... I know, hope springs eternal...

So if I have both versions on my iTunes folder, I should delete the most recent version from my PC, delete the app from my iPhone and then resync?

Yes. You may have to drag the older version from your iTunes folder into the iTunes window for it to re-add it to your library, I'm not 100% sure if it will simply find the older version on its own.

Works great on the ipad.
GREAT!! So now when your wife comes back she won't be squinty eye'd from trying to watch TV on a 3 inch screen

I'm surprised she didn't ship you out to the dog house just for suggesting she'd watch it on the iphone...

Got a sling adapter for my 722. So long as we're honest about the bandwidth we have available, it works well (trying to view at Best/HD quality causes lots of problems; I need to widen the pipe to my DVR). We use it on my wife's iPad, our laptops under windows, and our android phones.

My question is, is there's any reason to hope for a firefox/linux version of the sling plugin? It's an annoyance, having to reboot into windows to watch something.

Ken

Ive viewed it great on mozilla.

but yeah...its working great on the iphone now. Well, I wouldnt say great but its better than a white screen. TG2....to my 2yo, mickey mouse is mickey mouse. doesnt matter how big the screen. lol.

Netbook/Notebook Computer Recommendation

I am in the market for a notebook or netbook computer, but I want to make sure it works with Dish Remote Access. I also might like to have TV OUT if that is an option. Does anybody have an recommendation on a small, 10 or 11 inch screen, computer that will work with this?

Dish remote works fine on any platform with Internet Explorer or Firefox. Current Chrome browser does not support plugin (unless you use IE tab) for online TV watch via Dish account.
I use my iPad!!

Okay, I picked up an Acer Aspire One D255E from Walmart Acer Red 10.1" Netbook PC - Walmart.com The specifications are Intel Atom N455 / 1.66 GHz with Windows 7. I could not get it to work with Dish Remote Access, so I went to the Connectivity Test Tool http://dishconnectivity.sling.com/ and received this:

PC Requirements: HD Streaming Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo class processor with 2 GB of RAM
SD/QVGA Streaming Pentium IV class
Operating System Microsoft XP, Vista, or Windows 7

I know I am good on the Operating System, since I have Windows 7, but I need a chart to compare CPUs. Does anybody know where to find one or how to tell if a future netbook/notebook is Pentium IV class or better?

Connectivity Test Tool System Requirements System Recommendations for Video Streaming Network Requirements HD Streaming Bandwidth of 3 Mbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network) VGA Streaming Bandwidth of 600 Kbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network) QVGA or Mobile Streaming Bandwidth of 150 Kbps or higher (same for upstream bandwidth for viewing from outside home network) PC Requirements HD Streaming Intel 2.4 GHz Core 2 duo class processor with 2 GB of RAM SD/QVGA Streaming Pentium IV class Operating System Microsoft XP, Vista, or Windows 7 Mac Requirements HD Streaming Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 duo class processor with 2 GB of RAM SD/QVGA Streaming Same as HD Operating System OS 10.5.7 or higher Browser Specifications Internet Explorer Version 7 or higher Fire Fox Version 3.5 or higher Safari Version 4.0 or higher
Click here for list of recommended routers

The Atom is considerably less powerful than a Pentium running at the same core clock rate. I have played with various applications on a Shuttle nettop, but it's Intel GPU was pretty hopeless and the Atom could only keep up with SD playback. I now have a Zotac Zbox with 2nd gen ION GPU, and it can do HD using the DRA application, but only when it's not doing anything else.

Intel Microprocessor Quick Reference Guide - Product Family

I did find this chart. Basically, I just want to find a small 10 or 11 inch screen notebook that will work with DRA, but I am having trouble making sense of the specifications so far.
for something in that screen size, powerful enough to do the job, you'll end up paying a premium.
This is the kind of thing "TheKrell" is talking about for ZBox
Newegg.com - Zotac ZBOX HD-ID11-U Intel Atom D510 NM10 Chipset 1 x 200Pin Next-Gen NVIDIA ION GPU Mini / Booksize Barebone System

note, its a micro pc ... no screen/keyboard/trackpad.

For example ... 11.6" screen ..
Newegg.com - HP Pavilion dm1-3020us Notebook AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350(1.6GHz) 11.6" 3GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm AMD Radeon HD 6310
$549 ... and its not that powerful, Dual-Core E-350 @1.6 GHz

CPU chart
PassMark - AMD E-350 - Price performance comparison

15.6"
Newegg.com - HP ProBook 4525s (XT950UT#ABA) NoteBook AMD Athlon II Dual-Core P340(2.20GHz) 15.6" 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Radeon HD 4250
$399, more powerful Athlon2 dual core @2.2 GHz

CPU Chart
PassMark - AMD Athlon II P340 Dual-Core - Price performance comparison

See the rough specs here
AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Mobile P340 vs AMD E-Series E-350

Note that the Athlon II is roughly twice the performance, and 150 less ... other components in the system shift the performance too.. but bottom line, the smaller screen stuff usually costs more, or is severely lacking for horsepower.

There's only one dual core atom netbook out that I'd heard of, but its not available in the big box stores so that means getting on line only, thus if there's failure, you're under their mercy for fix times.

If you look at the Intel camp.. its pretty much the same thing...
i3's are the lower end, i5 & i7 comprise the higher performing chips..
$499 and the speed comparison beteen the 540 11" amd machine to this one is the difference of night and day...

So the smaller the screen, either the less power you have, and still a higher price ... or for a comprable small screen and good performance, you'll pay nearly double.

499 for a 14" ... 799 for a 13.x inch

I'd let price and specs rule rather than screen size.

There are some additional things to note ... if you're doing wireless on the same network and your Sling is using a wireless dongle, you'll be seeing a performance bottleneck in the wireless network.

If you're in the intel camp (I am for laptops) I would go core i3 or i5 if you could find a good deal that fit your budget. In the big box stores (best buy for the most part) they have this HP .. at 599 ... more than adequate HP - Pavilion Laptop / Intel® Core? i5 Processor / 14" Display / 4GB Memory / 640GB Hard Drive - Aluminum - dm4-1265dx and they have several older models with Txxxx CPUs (t4400 / t4200 etc) most are usually dual core in the 1.8 to 2.2 gig range in the 399 to 499 price range.

Another good thing about going to a store like Best Buy ... you might have a clerk that will put the specific laptop on their net with internet access ... if they can do so you can go to Dishnetwork and try it..

if you go this route ... I would make sure you change your Dish Account password to something complex that you write down *before* you go ... and change it again immediately after you get back to your trusted home network from there. If anyone else has been on those laptops they may have installed any number of apps, that could capture passwords.. so be forewarned.

Two more articles (should have included above)
Core i3 / i5 / i7 (part 1)
CPU Processor Comparison – Intel Core i7 vs. i5 vs. i3

Part 2
CPU Processor Comparison – Intel Core i7 vs. i5 vs. i3 – Part 2

Most i3's will be fine ... i5's would be better but again.. price is an issue ... and your use if only for dish ... price should probably be the number one issue.