SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

That'll work just fine. When I stream inside my home, my laptop pulls down anywhere from 5-8Mbps.

Yeah but I was wondering about the upstream from the 722. Going outside the home to the internet through broadband, its not going to be 3mbs. But inside the home I can handle that through the router (if that makes sense).

The upstream all depends on your ISP.

I get 7 to 8mbps connections fine from home to my office 12 miles away but my ISP at home can do up to 10Mbps upstream and 50Mbps down.

Yeah but I mean within the home, no ISP involved, just the router. I assume that going through the Dish Online portal for Sling and connecting to the 722 through the same router, would not cause the traffic to go out the ISP and then back in again?

Well, my network speed might prevent me from getting this, I only have a 475kbps upstream but, I'm wondering how it affects single mode users on the 722.

The review says that when someone connects to the sling adapter via remote access, that it automatically switches the 722 to dual mode. Does it switch back to single mode once you disconnect?

What if someone at home is watching live TV on the TV1 tuner and recording something on the TV2 tuner; is the remote access app denied access in this case or does it stop the recording on the TV2 tuner or disrupt the person watching live TV at home?

If you connect and watch a show already recorded on your DVR, does it use tuner at all, if so why can't it stream a recorded show without using a tuner?

Can you still watch and record OTA shows with this connected? Can you watch OTA channels through the sling adapter?

These are the questioned I'd love to have answered before buying one.

Well, my network speed might prevent me from getting this, I only have a 475kbps upstream but, I'm wondering how it affects single mode users on the 722.
Looks like you could get SD quality outside your network and mobile quality for phone smartphone access.
As for the other questions, I would also like to know if TV2 is used for Live TV or if it is used for DVR access. I guess it works like the 922? But I am not sure how it works either.

The review says that when someone connects to the sling adapter via remote access, that it automatically switches the 722 to dual mode. Does it switch back to single mode once you disconnect?
Yes it does. :)

If you connect and TV2 is recording something it will let you know if you try changing the channel.

You can watch OTA channels with this if you have the OTA module installed. :)

I was just at the Dish site looking to order one of these and found an interesting line on their web site they may want to address:

<LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Enjoy DISH programming on your computer or mobile device. Watch live and recorded content anywhere, anytime, as if you were in front of your TV at home!Receiver Models: 622,722 and 722K.
Includes a one (1) year warranty from the date of purchase.
Item includes a thirty (30) day return policy.

I can see it now, people with 622 receivers are going to order this, customer rep won't say it doesn't work with a 622, and you'll have a bunch of pi**ed off customers again. Why can't they seem to launch a new product without screwing it up???

I can see it now, people with 622 receivers are going to order this, customer rep won't say it doesn't work with a 622, and you'll have a bunch of pi**ed off customers again. Why can't they seem to launch a new product without screwing it up???
DISH has been notified of this and will be correcting it this morning. :)

So, do you think they will ever update stand alone Sling PC/Mac software to work with it?

So, do you think they will ever update stand alone Sling PC/Mac software to work with it?

I don't know and not enough people making noise about it. (Although if you try making noise about it at the Sling forum they just delete it.) :(

To be honest at 722/722k with Sling Adapter is probably going to give you a better experience overall.

Thanks Scott. So even if they enable TV2 on the 922? So is it because the UI on the 922 is no good and/or because of poor quality from the built-in Sling?

Maybe I'll go 722/Sling Adapter/Google TV then - although I guess I'll need to make some room in my media cabinet...

I'm with you on this one, Scott. I'd really like to see it work with the Sling software.

DISH has been notified of this and will be correcting it this morning. :)

Already is! Just ordered mine and there is no reference to 622. Must say, the ordering process was one of the easiest carts I have ever used, similar to Amazon etc. The only trick was finding the page to order it. It's under Technology/TV Everywhere. They could have had a category "Sling" accessories as that was what I was looking for.

Hey Scott- can you test and review with your ipad?

What about the audio quality for remote viewing. Is it surround sound or stereo as like previous sling players?
I have no way of testing the audio on my laptop and none of them have Surround Sound.

Don I tried testing it on my iPad a few minutes again and am told "We're sorry, but your browser is not currently supported for this application." when I try using the iPhone version of Dish Remote Access on it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts