SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

Ok interesting...

First on the iPad, the iPhone version of Dish Remote Access will not play Sling content, when you try it says "We're sorry, but your browser is not currently supported for this application."
On the iPad if I try using the $29 Slingplayer Application for the iPhone it tries to play the conent but it crashes the Slingplayer app when trying to connect to the 722k with the new DISH Sling Adapter. I had my wife try it on her iPhone and it crashed there as well. I am hearing a new version of the Slingplayer app for the iPhone is coming, so I assume support then for the Sling Adapter.

Another interesting thing is I can now watch the Sling Adapter on my Android phone with the $29 Slingplayer App for the Android. However there are no graphics on the screen, nor any guide when you hit the guide button. However you can input channel numbers or channel up and down without an issue. Also because there is no graphics being sent by the receiver when you turn to an audio channel such as a Sirius audio channel you just see the Sling logo on your screen. So I guess you can say the $29 Sling app sort of works. :)

Yup. As stated on P1, the Sling Extender disappeared off Dish's website. :( It's not even coming soon. :sob: It's still on Sling Media's website, though: Sling Media - Sling Receiver 300
But they could be making it for another company... not everything Sling makes is for DISH. (So who knows)

I think we will find out more at CES.

I'm sure this has been talked about on other posts but can't seem to find it. I already have my EHD plugged into the rear USB on my 722k so for this sling adapter would need to use the one in the front, which isn't ideal. Can I use a multiport hub off the back and plug both the EHD and sling adapter into it? Will both function?

Here are some screenshots from the DISH Remote Access app for the android.

Works well!

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    24 KB · Views: 301
  • screenshot_1.png
    screenshot_1.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 310
  • screenshot_7.png
    screenshot_7.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 272
  • screenshot_9.png
    screenshot_9.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 278
Just to clarify. The sling output always takes either tuner 1 or tuner 2. There is no virtual tuner it can pull from say to watch a DVR recording instead of live? It, in effect, just piggy backs on one of the two output tuners.

Also. If you have a 722, and you are watching the Basketball game live downstairs, and your wife wants to watch the Food Network in the kitchen on her Droid, does the receiver need to be in a particular mode to support that? Or can it hook onto either tuner regardless of the mode?

If you have a 722, and you are watching the Basketball game live downstairs, and your wife wants to watch the Food Network in the kitchen on her Droid, does the receiver need to be in a particular mode to support that? Or can it hook onto either tuner regardless of the mode?
1) There is no virtual tuner for the Sling. 2) The software automatically puts the receiver in TV 2 mode automatically you dont have to do anything on the recevier. :)

Thanks Scott for the report on the ipad. To say the least, I'm disappointed. They had almost a year to get this right ( ipad function ) and still is behind the curve. I guess I'll continue to use my legacy sling box for the ipad until they make an ipad app for this.

The iPad app is done and ready to go and was supposed to be out already. The issue was the release of iOS 4.2 was delayed 2 weeks due to the fact they (Apple) had a but in WIFI that was causing some peoples iPads not to function with WIFI if they were running 4.2.

For once it was not DISH screwing something up. :)

I have a question of SD vs. HD. Outside of the house I will be watching either on Mobile or through a Laptop. Since my ISP doesn't have great upload speeds I think I can match the 300kbps SD quality speed. In that case would it be better to tune to the SD channel or HD channel. Is there in difference in that the HD feed might have to be processed more to output at "SD" or "Mobile" quality?

DISH Sling Adapter Availability

Is this only available directly from DISH? I wouldn't mind seeing this available at other sources, too, like Dishstore.net

Also, this increased my interest in getting an Android tablet. I have looked at the Dell Streak and the Samsung Galaxy Tab, so far.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)