SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

I called dishnet twice today and they confirmed that this will indeed work for watching tv from a 622. Can anyone confirm this? Also, it says screens 4.3 and larger. I happen to have a Droid Incredible 3.7. Anyone have additional info as to whether it will work on that size screen?

I question both of there statements due to the fact that the 722's and the 622's are almost identical besides the record hours and the color(unless there is something else I don't know about in these receivers). I don't see how the screen size can be that big of a deal besides the optimal viewing area. Just looking for some more insight from the pros in here. Thanks!
I have a Droid Incredible and it works fine. I am finding though sometimes you it doesn't want to connect, you have to try a couple of times before it works, once i couldn't get it to hook up at all so I unistalled the app then reinstalled and tried again and it worked fine, I don't know if its a coincidence or not but it you log out in the menu instead of exiting it seems to reconnect better. Will have to keep experimenting.

Last edited:
UPDATE - All is well with the Dish Sling Adapter finally. The Dish Remote Access on the Dish website finally started to play nice and I can actually view the Sling feed now using my Mac Firefox 3.6.12, and I can get the DVR recordings to play now. I was still getting the Internet feed on my local LAN. After resetting the 722k, I now can get up to 8000kps speed and full HD on my LAN (even on my MacBook over wireless, unlike a previous forum post on a previous page).

The iPhone DRA app still seems buggy. Not showing DVR requests, but going to Live TV, and this is over my LAN while the iPhone is connected to my wireless router. I hope an upcoming update to DRA or the Sling Player will give a better more smooth experience.

After resetting the 722k, I now can get up to 8000kps speed and full HD on my LAN (even on my MacBook over wireless, unlike a previous forum post on a previous page).

What are the specs on your Macbook? On my wife's 2.4 Ghz I can get stable HD wired, but it chugs on wireless. Even wired with a 1.83 Core Duo I can get 8000 kbps but the audio drops a little and the video hitches. I think there is a need for some raw power to run the video feed even if you have a solid 8000 kbps.

The iPad app is done and ready to go and was supposed to be out already. The issue was the release of iOS 4.2 was delayed 2 weeks due to the fact they (Apple) had a but in WIFI that was causing some peoples iPads not to function with WIFI if they were running 4.2.

For once it was not DISH screwing something up. :)

OK Scott how about getting with your sources and finding out WHEN Dish will make the ipad work? Apple has now delivered so we're back to waiting on Dish.

Looks like the new Sling app is out for iPad, now we just need our Free one.

Doesn't say it works for the sling adapter. It says it only works for the Sling SOLO or Pro HD models.

I already have the sling player mobile app on my ipad and it recently quit working. I paid $29.95 for that back in June. They should make this app upgraded for free especially for those who just bought it. I'm going to give Sling a call.

Works great with the Sling Adapter. :) (Also works with the 922)

Here is something interesting...

I just went online to watch my Sling Adapter on my 722k and while I was watching the 722k remote popped up on the screen. (See picture) I clicked on a few buttons on it and then because I was screwing with my iPad I connected to my 722k which disconnected me from the website... since then I have tried watching through the website but have yet to get the remote to come back up..

Strange huh?

Attachments

• interesting.jpg
    interesting.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 260
Wow! Easy hookup to 722K and playback on my local network PC, then similarly easy operation to my Android phone! Nice job Dish!

Question: what is the simplest and cheapest way to get content from the Sling Adapter onto my 2nd TV that is hooked to a 622?

I just went online to watch my Sling Adapter on my 722k and while I was watching the 722k remote popped up on the screen. (See picture) I clicked on a few buttons on it and then because I was screwing with my iPad I connected to my 722k which disconnected me from the website... since then I have tried watching through the website but have yet to get the remote to come back up..

Strange huh?
The reomote popped up a few times on mine also. I might be wrong, but I think it happens the first time I log on from each computer.

...while I was watching the 722k remote popped up on the screen... Strange huh?
Indeed it is. I have a 722 w/UHF Pro 6.3 remotes, and a nice virtual remote pops up occasionally looking just like the 6.3. I have no idea what brings it up, nor how to get rid of it (since the power button doesn't do anything). Some of the buttons, such as Info, are greyed out and don't do anything either.

Well, Sling phone number is in India so since I don't speak the language, decided to call Dish and believe it of not the tech support guy I got worked with me and got my app updated to the newest app that works for sling adapter and for ipad.

Here's the trick- Log into your account and select Dish Remo6te access.
Enter your UI and PW and when the page comes up, select Go Mobile. You'll get an opportunity to download the Dish sling adapter iphone app to your ipad and it will install just like you do when you access new apps from the Apple App Store. Once it installs go to that app and launch it, enter your UI and PW and then you can select your program and watch.

Note- this is not a real ipad app but just like the app you had before. It is just an iphone app updated for the sling adapter. Until they release the actual ipad app, we'll be using this. Better than nothing, I guess.

If Dish is reading this- I'd like to request that you do like other app developers do and at least put up a notice that there is an update version in the app store. Shouldn't need to have to call Dish tech support to get walked through finding the app update.

Strange huh?

Actually, I found the toggle for the remote located under the live watch screen. You'll have Live, Remote, Zoom and Full screen. The "Remote" is where you toggle it on and off. I think the flashing of it at times may be a bug in the implementation.

Been experimenting around most of the afternoon today with the sling adapter.

Observation: My 722K and sling adapter are getting excessively hot! At 4 PM the 722K has been rebooting itself every 5 - 10 minutes now.

Has anyone else noticed this trouble? I have the sling adapter sitting on top of the 722K as Dish shows in their pictures. I'm retrofitting an additional fan for the evening to see how this works.

Well, Sling phone number is in India so since I don't speak the language, decided to call Dish and believe it of not the tech support guy I got worked with me and got my app updated to the newest app that works for sling adapter and for ipad.

Here's the trick- Log into your account and select Dish Remo6te access.
Enter your UI and PW and when the page comes up, select Go Mobile. You'll get an opportunity to download the Dish sling adapter iphone app to your ipad and it will install just like you do when you access new apps from the Apple App Store. Once it installs go to that app and launch it, enter your UI and PW and then you can select your program and watch.

Note- this is not a real ipad app but just like the app you had before. It is just an iphone app updated for the sling adapter. Until they release the actual ipad app, we'll be using this. Better than nothing, I guess.

If Dish is reading this- I'd like to request that you do like other app developers do and at least put up a notice that there is an update version in the app store. Shouldn't need to have to call Dish tech support to get walked through finding the app update.

Don, Did you do this while using your i-Pad, or your computer? I can't find it using my i-Pad.
Dan

I used my ipad. The link to get there is still up as I just checked. But I see now you can go direct to the install from APP store on your ipad. Just do a search for it with: "DISH REMOTE ACCESS" (no quotes) Earlier today it wasn't up.

Well I got my sling adapter yesterday and hooked it to my ViP722. It took a few minutes to get used to the controls but I figured it out for the most part.

I too saw the remote control and I think I saw a button on the console that said "remote" last night. The first time I pressed it, the remote disappeared. When I pressed it again, it reappeared and so on. this morning, no remote, no button. It doesn't really matter as the on screen controls have the same functions. Strange though.

On the channel grid, I see my OTA channels are there. It looks like I can watch OTA channels as I can even get the little "watch on web" button but when I click on it I go straight to the next lower channel that comes in via satellite. I really hoped this could be done as I get OTA channels from a neighboring DMA.

When I clicked on the "preferences" tab I was hoping to see my favorites list would be there but no it's not. I hope that feature comes in the future.

The DVR works pretty good but where I have multiple episodes of a show in a folder, I can't get into that except to record and delete the shows. What's up with this?

When I first hooked the adapter, I disconnected my EHD from the rear jack. I next hooked the EHD and I can view shows from it. Unfortunately, the only other USB port is on the front of the receiver so the access panel door needs to be open. Too bad there isn't another USB port on the rear.

So far I have only used it on a laptop on my home network. I have the setting at "Best/HD" and I seem to be streaming at anything from a little over 4000 Kbps to a little over 5000 Kbps. The picture is very nice. I have a broadband cable connection and I hope it works this good away from home. I am going to try that later today.

Happy Thanksgiving all! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts