SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

I have had the Dish Network Sling Adapter and added data on my T-Mobile phone, but in only about two weeks time I have already received the text message yesterday: "Free T-Mobile Message: Due to the amount of data you have used this billing cycle, your data speed will be slowed for the remainder of the cycle." So, my questions are how can a decrease the amount of data used when using Dish Remote Access? Some are pretty obvious, for example:

-Use wifi, rather than 3G when it is available

-When selecting Dish channels, does an SD channel use less data than an HD channel if I am just connected to an Android phone?

If somebody has some numbers to help me quantify this, that would be great. For example, can I watch 30 hours per month? Knowing this will help me plan my remote viewing. I take a break for lunch at work and have been tuning in via Dish Remote Access through my T-Mobile data connection for some entertainment. Needless to say, I don't need an HD channel and if selecting an SD channel uses less data, I will try to remember to select those instead.

Two quick comments. I noticed on the PC client when I hit the pause button, the bandwidth continued as though it was still sending video. Did you leave your phone client paused for a long time? You may be paying for a static frame!

BTW - How do you get your Android phone to use wifi preferentially over 3G? Can you turn off the 3g?

Two quick comments. I noticed on the PC client when I hit the pause button, the bandwidth continued as though it was still sending video. Did you leave your phone client paused for a long time? You may be paying for a static frame!

BTW - How do you get your Android phone to use wifi preferentially over 3G? Can you turn off the 3g?

I noticed that, too. I'm wondering if it is continuing to send over program data that is being queued within the client, or just a repetition of the paused screen data.

I really don't think there is an issue with 3G or any cellular data transfer when you are connected to WiFi. My Droid X doesn't show any 3G data transfer activity while viewing program material via the Dish App in that mode.

I noticed that, too. I'm wondering if it is continuing to send over program data that is being queued within the client, or just a repetition of the paused screen data.

Yes, as long as you are remotely viewing it will continue to send data even if you paused the DVR, just like when viewing at home it continues to send the paused image to your TV.

.....BTW - How do you get your Android phone to use wifi preferentially over 3G? Can you turn off the 3G?.....

Yes, I can turn off 3G:

-Settings

-Wireless Manager

-Data

-Data Connection (off)

Then,

-Wi-Fi (on)

Jim NØJS

Last edited:
I just did a speed test and came up with 8740 Kbps download speed and 570 Kbps upload. This is the 3rd fastest of 4 speed levels offered. The next step up is $35.00 more than what I am up to now and I am not about to pay that much.

I had a chance to test this outside the home yesterday with my upgraded speed. Not bad. I can't use the "HD" setting as the picture just freezes but the "better" setting works pretty good on my in-law's lap top.

Got 722k & sling adapter.
Setup easy.
TIP!!!!!! if you use the Chrome browser, you must use an IE extension. Requires an Activex add on. Then it all works fine!
Works well & smooth with Dish app on iPad.
Works surprisingly well with Dish app on Android phone either 3G or wifi.
You DO NOT need the $29.99 app. The FREE Dish app for current customers works.

Can't connect to website for Sling.. Getting a "Error connecting to mysql" when I try. Not sure I am going to like depending on Dish website to be working when I want to use my sling..

** It's back working.... But I still don't trust Dish Website to be working when I really need it.. **

Last edited:
Dish Remote Access Via T-Mobile On 2G Blocking Telephone Calls

I wanted to mention a possible issue for some of us using the Dish Network Sling Adapter and accessing it through Dish Remote Access via T-Mobile carrier. I just got the Dish Network Sling Adapter about a month ago. I have an Android phone on T-Mobile, so I added the unlimited 3G data. A couple of weeks into using this I went over the 5 GB cap, so T-Mobile throttled my data speed. On another forum, it was suggested to me that I should just force 2G only by selecting it in the menu. The reasoning is that 2G is faster than throttled 3G. I made the switch and was pretty satisfied, until I started getting reports from others that I wasn't answering my telephone. I did some more checking and it appears as if this is a common problem. Specifically, if a GSM carrier device is streaming content that calls don't ring through. It is a good lesson to me to be careful during future billing cycles to keep under the 5 GB cap, thus allowing me to continue to use 3G data in an un-throttled capacity. I would be interested in hearing reports from others on this issue.

Thanks Scott for the great review. I just ordered myself an early Christmas present :up
Hopefully my Verizon um175 usb air card service will be able to stream the video without any issues. Looking forward to playing with the new toy!!

I found your post while Google searching how the sling adapter would affect my Verizon usage, as I power my 722 receiver w/my Verizon usb air card using a Cradlepoint router. I plan to use my droid x cell phone at work during lunch to view my saved dvr content. The phone part would not be an issue because I have an unlimited data package. My concern is again, using the Verizon usb w/my 722 receiver. Would it be difficult to stay under a 5GB limit on that end? Sorry if this subject has already been addressed but wondering how your experience has turned out.

I found your post while Google searching how the sling adapter would affect my Verizon usage, as I power my 722 receiver w/my Verizon usb air card using a Cradlepoint router. I plan to use my droid x cell phone at work during lunch to view my saved dvr content. The phone part would not be an issue because I have an unlimited data package. My concern is again, using the Verizon usb w/my 722 receiver. Would it be difficult to stay under a 5GB limit on that end? Sorry if this subject has already been addressed but wondering how your experience has turned out.

I have used it a few times with my air card with decent results. I'm still using a 3g device and have to set the picture quality to good in order to prevent choppy video. With the 5gb usage plan, streaming video will use up that limit rather quickly. One example is I watched some football for about 3-4 hours last week and used well over 1000mb.
4g is now available in my area and looks like Sprint has an unlimited plan so I'll be looking into that for sure. Overall it does what I expected with the speed I can acquire with the Verizon air card.

I think this has been answered but I want to make sure before I spend $100 for the wrong thing. I want the Sling Adapter for my 722 but it has to sling what's on TV1 and not impact TV2 (complicated wiring and family situation). From what I read, the Sling Adapter can only sling TV2 output and this is not configurable. So it sounds like I need the Slingbox Solo and have it from connect to the 722 box directly. Sound right?

Thanks.

// ScottA

I think this has been answered but I want to make sure before I spend $100 for the wrong thing. I want the Sling Adapter for my 722 but it has to sling what's on TV1 and not impact TV2 (complicated wiring and family situation). From what I read, the Sling Adapter can only sling TV2 output and this is not configurable. So it sounds like I need the Slingbox Solo and have it from connect to the 722 box directly. Sound right?

Thanks.

// ScottA

Yes, the Dish Sling Adapter only slings the TV2 output.

I just installed the Sling Adapter onto my Dish Network VIP722 receiver and I have to say I'm not impressed. Everytime a program begins playing the cursor turns into a "+" and I'm unable to do anything. The connection only shows "good" even though I have a 6mbps connection.

I just installed the Sling Adapter onto my Dish Network VIP722 receiver and I have to say I'm not impressed. Everytime a program begins playing the cursor turns into a "+" and I'm unable to do anything. The connection only shows "good" even though I have a 6mbps connection.
Did you try changing the connection to "Better"??

More details, please. Web client? What platform? Are you somehow stuck in full screen mode?

Microsoft Explorer 8 was the problem. I would log into my account and select "remote access" and then as soon as I selected a program to watch the video would appear after a long delay and the cursor would never return to an arrow. I then had to log out and back in only to have the same thing occur.

I now tried using Firefox and it works flawless with the video quality looking very good.

I'm having a problem finding the Android Dish Access app for my Cruz eReader. The Andriod Market doesn't seem to have it and other sites require that you signup to their site or don't allow you to perform the download.

I now take back everything I said about the Sling Adapter. After using it with Firefox I'm very happy with the results. I was able to switch the video to HD quality and the video on my laptop looks awesome on HD channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)