SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Discussion - Week Ending 01/12/2008

This is fitting with my prediction, no new hd till at early Feb. Look on the good side, we are still second in the nation for HD...Ahead of most if not all cable companies.

Voom doesn't count anymore. They have gone way downhill since early November.

So what is left? Little more than many cable systems, if not less. It is quickly becoming the opposite of what you said.

Why - what has happened since then ?

All the channels like Film Fest and Monsters HD have resorted to playing two movies a day in rotation for 24 or more hours. Three days later the same movies pop up, dozens and dozens of time per month.

I used to love Monsters HD specifically, but it has really turned to sh*t.

I used to defend Voom. Not anymore.

I remember a certain premium movie channel that repeated the same four movies at the same time for a WEEK! When it went away, people complained! But what the heck. It's chic to beat up on Voom. Knock yourself out.

Up until a few weeks ago there would not have been a cat in hells chance of me persuading my wife to let me drop Voom because of monsters HD alone ... When i told her about the HD essentials pack without voom and explained that we could save $10 per month if we dropped some of the channels - she told me to go ahead and downgrade cos she hardly watches it anymore "because it just shows the same movies over and over again"

I can't remember ever watching ANY movie on that channel .. but she used to have it on that one channel 24*7 when i was not around - now she does not even watch one or two movies a week.

Why is voicing his dissatisfaction with a channel "beating up on voom" ?

Having said that - if it looks like a turn and it smells like a turd - its probably a turd ...

TO YOU!!!

That is the point. I still watch many different programs on Voom and find it a valuable service. I do not watch the same channel 24/7. I watch a variety of channels. 5 Voom channels among them. I can list two dozen REGULAR channels (some with HD counterparts) that repeat the same stuff over and over and over and over that aren't Voom. But you don't see people bashing the channel (or expressing their dissatisfaction with the number of repeats) beause it's not the vogue.

See ya
Tony

TO YOU!!!

Nope - to my wife ... but as you say - that is indeed the point.

I see people bashing TBS - i see people bashing some of the Premium movie channels .. some of the sports channels, some of the stretch-o-vision HD channels .... the bashing is not restricted to voom .. it is .. as you say .. a personal choice.

So why go on the attack and criticize people who are bashing one of the channels (or the package of channels) that you happen to watch ?

Everyone is entitled to an opinion .. we can't all enjoy the same shows/channels .. if we did - every provider would have exactly the same channels for pretty much the same price.

Channel bashing is good .. its what makes us all different and its what keeps the providers on their toes and what makes them continue striving to provide the most channels for the lowest price.

:)

:up

So why go on the attack and criticize people who are bashing one of the channels (or the package of channels) that you happen to watch ?

I am not on the attack. I never attacked anyone. I made the observation that dumping on Voom is in vogue now. That is all I said. None of the stretch-o-vision or other threads complaining about other so-called HD channels ever consistantly call for the services to be dropped. With Voom, that is a different story. People (many different people in independent threads) consistantly call for Voom to be removed for "'real' HD channels like DirecTV has." Never mind that half the "real" HD channels have absolutely no HD programming or, at most, one TV show a week in HD. Never mind that the "real" HD channels are generally re-run channels 24/7 or at least 90% of the program schedule. There is a consistant call for removal of 15 channels with unique and entertaining 24/7 honest-to-goodness HD channels because of repeats?

It is an observation, not a critisizm nor attack. It is completely irrational, but it is, for whatever reason, fashionable to discard channels with unique (programming not available anywhere else) in favor of stretch-o-vision or up-converted reruns of Sanford and Son and Punky Brewster 15 minute episode marathons with the occasional HD re-run of CSI Podunk!

:)

See ya
Tony

Hey Hey, Ho Ho, the Voom channels have got to go! In all seriousness, good job by Dish on giving us a choice (somewhat) with voom now. Ideally I'd like to see these completely separated. $10 base, extra $5 for HDnet, Universal etc, extra $5 for voom

Last edited:
Just don't drop RAVE HD... It's the only Voom channel I catch myself walking regularly. Equator isn't bad either.

I couldn't care less about the other ones.

Hey Hey, Ho Ho, the Voom channels have got to go! In all seriousness, good job by Dish on giving us a choice (somewhat) with voom now. Ideally I'd like to see these completely separated. $10 base, extra $5 for HDnet, Universal etc, extra $5 for voom
quit whing about VOOM They are basically freebee's that E* got at firesale prices from the original VOOM

quit whing about VOOM They are basically freebee's that E* got at firesale prices from the original VOOM

You keep saying that but offer no proof. Again, there are no commercials, but people are getting paid (Technicians, staff, operating costs, etc). Where does the money come from?

Also, bandwidth has been admitted to be the overriding factor here preventing Dish from adding new channels. Therefore I view Voom as the obsticle in getting the programming that most of us would prefer.

Hrmm... Monsters HD and its two movies a week, or SciFi. KungFu or USA?

Last edited:

Initially paying 10 bucks more for VOOM, which carried forward to the now $20 isn't free. I have always defended the VOOM channels, but they don't have the same value to me since they cut back in their programming. On 2/1, I will drop to the $10 HD tier. I could care less for VOOM and the other 5 channels in the second tier. I don't perceive those channels to be worth an additional $10 per month. If the programming situation improves, I can always add them back. Ten dollars a month is ten dollars a month more in my pocket. Why feed the pig anymore than I have to. :)

When has Dish ever dropped a channel, unless there was a contract dispute or the channel went out of business? They had a chance to drop Nick GAS with no repercussions and they couldn't even do THAT!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts