SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - Week Ending 03/24/2007

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the record so far is "never".:) As in there had been stuff up-linked that never went live.

I am aware of that. I wondering the longest a channel has been uplinked before eventually going live.

Someone else can check Tony's charts for confirmation, but I thought CSTV was uplinked for close to a year before eventually becoming active for certain packages.

Ha, ha. Of course I have. There's nothing more than I want to see my Giants, A's, Warriors, and Sharks games in HD. Is that enough compelling content Charlie?
I'm right there with you. NESN will again this year broadcast all (home & away) of their Red Sox games in glorious high-definition.

Let's go Charlie!!

Don't forget that, as usual, there may be financial aspects to this.

D* and cable's general viewpoint is to pay anything that the providers ask, because they will just add the additional cost to the customer's bill.

E* has a history of negotiating lower prices from the channels that help to keep the overall prices for consumers down. That always takes longer, and E* often has the channel later as a result.

E* often uplinks the channel prior to actual agreements, so that when the agreement is signed, they don't have further delays for the uplink work.

I'm right there with you. NESN will again this year broadcast all (home & away) of their Red Sox games in glorious high-definition.

Let's go Charlie!!

I am with you! E* is the only provider in New England that does not have NESN in HD.

I guess we are only a small percentage of subscribers and E* really can not justify spending the money. We are s :eek: :eek: t out of luck.

Ken

I'll say it again guys/gals, just because something is uplinked it doesn't mean we are getting it. Nor does the name they named the channel mean that is the channel. I'm still surprised they do name the channels correctly most of the time. BellExpressVU has learned not to name their channels the correct name before they release them due to this. I'm waiting for DishNetwork to follow in their footsteps to prevent everyone from throwing their arms up in the air over the uplink reports. We will soon see something like this:

361 - CHAN1 added to EchoStar5 129W TP 08 ConUS beam (Not Available)
364 - CHAN2 added to EchoStar5 129W TP 08 ConUS beam (Not Available)
368 - CHAN3 added to EchoStar5 129W TP 08 ConUS beam (Not Available)
373 - CHAN4 added to EchoStar3 61.5W TP 30 ConUS beam (Not Available)
387 - NHLHD EchoStar3 61.5W TP 30 ConUS beam changed to CHAN5 - EchoStar5 129W TP 08 ConUS beam (NA)
388 - NHLHD renamed to CHAN6 (NA)

Won't those be great uplink reports? ;)

I've received two replies from E*, both earlier this month:

Thank you for your email. Dishnetwork is currently working on bringing more HD channels to our customers. Unfortunately currently no information is available as to when the Regional Sports Networks will be broadcasted in HD. Please stay tuned to Charlie Chat on channel 101 for upcoming channel launches. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and confusion caused by this issue. We have notified our programming department for your request. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience and confusion caused by this issue.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Michael P.

TID:pB-Delta

DISH Network eCare

Thanks for the email. I would like to apologize for the delay in my response. I can certainly understand that NESN in HD is important to you and many others. I have forwarded your request to our programming department for review. DISH Network is always trying to add more HD content to our programming line up and we continue to lead the field with the most HD channels.

Right now, we do not have any information regarding the launch of the RSN’s in HD. Thank you for your input. I hope we can have them added for you soon. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Eric V.

EchoStar Satellite L.L.C.

Dba DISH Network

Maybe E* is planning on releasing a cheap mpeg4 QPSK SD box.

From the different FEC that is needed on 8psk TPs I really don't think the added bandwidth is to significant.

Maybe Charlie's beam counters told him the cost to make a QPSK mpeg4 Sd box would be really cheap.

Moving to mpeg4 would kill 99.999% of hacked FTA boxes.

Pretty cheap piracy counter measure, as well as bandwidth saving for more HD.

From the different FEC that is needed on 8psk TPs I really don't think the added bandwidth is to significant.

Maybe Charlie's beam counters told him the cost to make a QPSK mpeg4 Sd box would be really cheap.

I thought the plan was to stop selling MPEG-2 only receivers, and everyone would get some flavor of ViP receiver (DVR or non, single or dual). When that happens, the clock will start ticking on MPEG-2.

25% isn't significant? That's about 10 megabits per transponder. It adds up real quick.

The additional cost of the tuner to tune 8PSK is very minimal of the one that only does QPSK. Bet you didn't know the the 8PSK tuners found all the back in the 6000's add-on modules can also tune DSS (DirecTV)'s modulation scheme. I'm not talking encryption...just modulation scheme. I can bet you will not see another new receiver that comes of E*'s R&D door that can not tune 8PSK. Look at the 311 and 322's and couple of other SD receivers. They've included 8PSK tuners in them for quite sometime and haven't used them yet.

I thought the plan was to stop selling MPEG-2 only receivers, and everyone would get some flavor of ViP receiver (DVR or non, single or dual). When that happens, the clock will start ticking on MPEG-2.

Last summer the tech chat talked about the end of mpeg2 hd by the summer of 2007 and then a two year transition of SD to mpeg 4 ending in 2010. A total of 3 years to change out all receivers. Of course this was a good plan but still no active participation in enabeling it by Dish. They could very well still follow this plan since the 622 is now basically free to newbies and lease deals that reimburse the customers who take them. But who knows? The longer they wait , the harder it will be to go full mpeg 4 for the company. Also if Directv can really do over a 100 HD channels by years end then obviously they need to execute all hd to mpeg 4 by this summer.

Once they can go full mpeg 4 on all sat channels , the video will improve and they will have a whole lot more room for hd and sd on the existing satellites they already have without having to launch any new sats. Especially since they can get upto 6 mpeg 4 hd channels on one transponder. Imagine who many sd channels they can do in mpeg4.

Imagine who many sd channels they can do in mpeg4.

20 on a QPSK TP. 25 on a 8PSK TP.

I doubt D* is going to grab the "HD reigns" from E*. It's going to be neck and neck. Once they get the newer style MPEG4 encoders going full steam you'll see some consolidation of the VOOM's and other MPEG2 VIP only channels on the wings, plus the ConUS locals consolidated from 4 TP a to 6 a TP. Not to mention they already have some breathing room on 61.5 and 129 to add more national HD right now. With a little $$$$ and sweat they can have plenty more breathing room up there....

digiblur,

Did you missing "For ViP Only" changed to "H.264" on couple HD channels ?

Our banned member pointed to that:
"UNIHD , 9427, A4, 122,22, 61.5W
That appears to say MPEG4 - which is a change from A6

so why has no one else said anything?"

digiblur,

Sounds like they might be prepping up another one of the improved MPEG-4 encoders, and getting some channels ready to move.

digiblur,

Too be honest... I haven't done a lot of manual digging lately on 61.5 or 129 otherwise I would have noticed. I did swing over to 61.5 and see that UniHD is running at 1440x1080i along side A&E HD 720p in MPEG4 mode with lots of room left on the TP. Looks like the new style MPEG4 encoders to me. Like I said...more room every day on the wings ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)