Satguys DirecTV News From CES

they (swm) are in field trials (actual installs) in parts of the country.

it cost about $270 for the switch and power, so they will be limited when they do become nationwide.

Kinda like having to beg Dish when you need a DPP44, costs $200, so they are stingy.

OK D* Lovers, more photos from this morning, and a copule new things:

Media share is getting an addition of internet photos, which can pull photos from popular web sites that people store photos on. I'm not too familiar with this, but it sounded neat.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    578.2 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_0051.JPG
    IMG_0051.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    688.3 KB · Views: 351
Last thing I have on D*:

Here are two shots of the new PC receiving capability that they are working on. Scott & Bob did an interview on this and will have much more details coming in the next few days.

Editing and uploading several interviews in HD will take some time ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    263.4 KB · Views: 354
after 8 hours in the carl 7h3mins of drive time, I am home. If I can, I will post lots of photos from the DirecTV Experience booth this evening (including a rare shot of us with the DBSTalk guys). If not, tomorrow morning. Kind of tired :)

The HR21 Pro was pretty cool -- 100Hours of HD Mpeg4 recording capability. Made me drool, and I am a dish guy. :)

And the video streaming unit was amazing, connected to an off-the-shelf Dell laptop. I was way impressed.

The HD-DVR going down $100, anding a $60 OTA option is reasonable - at least to educated customers. May be a difficult sale to the average customer.
The "average" customer (which would never go to an internet site to read about satellite) has no idea what OTA is, and would wonder why in the world someone would want an antenna when they have satellite.

I think they handled the OTA removal well, saving money in markets with HD LiL, and still taking care of the rest of the customers.

The HD-DVR going down $100, anding a $60 OTA option is reasonable - at least to educated customers. May be a difficult sale to the average customer.

Then again, it does have limited needs. End of 2008 they should have most of the nation up in HD Lil, including PBS and the less watched nets beyond the big 4.

I think they handled the OTA removal well, saving money in markets with HD LiL, and still taking care of the rest of the customers.

I don't.
I think it's D* plan to take the OTA option out to force subs to go with them at an addl. cost of course.
I have an OTAantenna and have NO PLANS of going to D* for my locals that I get for FREE in HD. Now I will have to pay an extra $ 60 and have another STB to boot ?
I certianly hope they see their mistake and put OTA inputs back in the next generation.

My OTA channels are not yet available on D* in HD

Jimbo

think a year from now though. With D11 up most markets will have Hd locals, including PBS, and may have the minor nets. figure $20 a tuner, conservative guess, the cut receiver cost.

I think it may be too early to yank them, but at least they are making a solution and lowering the cost of the box $100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)