jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
2 key news items from the DirecTV Booth:

Remote Booking to be released nationally target date January 17th.

The OTA soulution for the HR21 is only $59. expected available March 1.

Couple things I didn't know, but may be just overlook:

SatGO is now $999.

HR21 Pro is $599, and is Owned, not leased!

THis news is not exclusive to this site. I read earlier this morning on another site. :) Also this news was posted yesterday on the other site I read it at.

I didn't see pricing there, or dates, but didn't get through all their stuff.

if I'm wrong please have one of the mods change the title. I'm just trying to share what I hear :)

had a nice chat with both today, it was nice to meet them. I was happy to express my appreciation of their efforts on the CE program, and talk about how far the HR20 has come.

We are all now at the X Stream HD press launch waiting for the start.

Directv is also showing off streaming a recorded show from your DVR to your PC using their own client/media player software. This is just like what Dish is showing off, but the PC client is proprietary but much more advanced. You can control the dvr (skip, ff, rewind) and it also has an interface that looks exactly like the STB. They can't stream live tv yet, but that was in the plans.

According to the engineer on the floor, streaming recorded shows should be released beta Q1/Q2 of 2008. They haven't worked out how they will distribute the PC application, as it takes a decent/high end computer to do mpeg2/mpeg4 decoding, and they dont want a million CSR calls from people who have underpowered computers. It might end up as a bundle with certain PC manufacturers.

One step further is the Directv PC tuner. It wasn't on display, but will be USB connected and integrated with Windows Media Center. Probably won't be out until Vista Service pack 1 is released. That alone tells me that it won't work with XP based WMC. Its based off the same technology that the cablecard enabled PC tuners are using to interact with WMC. Microsoft was showing off digital cable connected to a Vista WMC at their booth.

I like where both companies are going with these products that are integrating the PC with satellite, finally.

I like where both companies are going with these products that are integrating the PC with satellite, finally.

Me too, then finally someone a LOT smarter than me can break the file encryption so we can do what we want with the programs we PAY for on our DVR's. I find it incredible that its legal to tape something with a VHS tape, but you cannot 'tape' your DVR's content to physical storage except for real time.

Same content, yet we own it less. :(

Isnt the ota solution for the HR21 called the HR20????:confused::confused:

I think it is a great idea to make the tuner optional. Most people don't use it, why should everyone have to pay for it - the cost is definitely factored in.

For them to have it for those that need it, and not for the majority that doesn't makes 100% good financial sense to me.

I will be interested in what chipset they are using for the OTA tuners and if it will be possible to connect it to a PC and use it as a dual OTA tuner.

I think they handled the OTA removal well, saving money in markets with HD LiL, and still taking care of the rest of the customers.

The HD-DVR going down $100, anding a $60 OTA option is reasonable - at least to educated customers. May be a difficult sale to the average customer.

Then again, it does have limited needs. End of 2008 they should have most of the nation up in HD Lil, including PBS and the less watched nets beyond the big 4.

Directv is also showing off streaming a recorded show from your DVR to your PC using their own client/media player software. This is just like what Dish is showing off, but the PC client is proprietary but much more advanced. You can control the dvr (skip, ff, rewind) and it also has an interface that looks exactly like the STB. They can't stream live tv yet, but that was in the plans.

According to the engineer on the floor, streaming recorded shows should be released beta Q1/Q2 of 2008. They haven't worked out how they will distribute the PC application, as it takes a decent/high end computer to do mpeg2/mpeg4 decoding, and they dont want a million CSR calls from people who have underpowered computers. It might end up as a bundle with certain PC manufacturers.

One step further is the Directv PC tuner. It wasn't on display, but will be USB connected and integrated with Windows Media Center. Probably won't be out until Vista Service pack 1 is released. That alone tells me that it won't work with XP based WMC. Its based off the same technology that the cablecard enabled PC tuners are using to interact with WMC. Microsoft was showing off digital cable connected to a Vista WMC at their booth.

Sounds a lot like DVArchive and ReplayTV