Satilite - Cable - Antenna in one cable?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gb387

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2006
Can Satellite, Cable and an Antenna signal be carried in one coax cable? I now have cable/satellite so I can have both cable and sat. but is there another splitter that will allow for three signals in the same cable?

Last edited:
Generally - No.
You can use a diplexer to run Sat and Cable; or you can run Sat and Ant.

You can always try to combine an antenna signal and a cable signal, but they are more than likely going to interfere with each other, unless you were to modulate the desired channels to a different frequency/channel. Also, there may be some FCC rules you'll have to follow to make sure you are not broadcasting the cable signal over the air (besides possibly broadcasting the satellite signal) to your neighbors.

However, if you have 2 runs for a dual tuner receiver, you could run Sat/Cable on one, and Sat/Ant on the other.

Last edited:
gb387 said:
Can Satellite, Cable and an Antenna signal be carried in one coax cable? I now have cable/satellite so I can have both cable and sat. but is there another splitter that will allow for three signals in the same cable?

Actually you could....

When using the diplexer, use a splitter as a combiner into the diplexer.

This will depend on individual cases... More or less if your picking up 4 different OTA signals, and those channels are not in use on the cable side then you can.

As long as the frequency is not in use or it'll heterodyne (I know I spelt it wrong).

SmityWhity said:
You can always try to combine an antenna signal and a cable signal, but they are more than likely going to interfere with each other, unless you were to modulate the desired channels to a different frequency/channel. Also, there may be some FCC rules you'll have to follow to make sure you are not broadcasting the cable signal over the air (besides possibly broadcasting the satellite signal) to your neighbors.

Always make sure you terminate any unused cable outlets/splitter ports or it'll contribute to RF leakage thus causing potential disruption of the Aircraft Band. :)

Always make sure you terminate any unused cable outlets/splitter ports or it'll contribute to RF leakage thus causing potential disruption of the Aircraft Band. :)
Hell, I was more concerned with his neighbors watching something not appropriate.:)

SmityWhity said:
Hell, I was more concerned with his neighbors watching something not appropriate.:)
Yeah, but they'd probably be REALLY pi$$ed-off if he brought an aircraft down on their roof...!

rcdallas said:
Actually you could....

When using the diplexer, use a splitter as a combiner into the diplexer.

This will depend on individual cases... More or less if your picking up 4 different OTA signals, and those channels are not in use on the cable side then you can.

As long as the frequency is not in use or it'll heterodyne (I know I spelt it wrong).

I know it depends... but you can do that?

gb387 said:
I know it depends... but you can do that?
To do as rcdallas suggested, look at this link http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=11789&d=1158064663 which is a picture posted by "bertbarndoor" on (Page 3) of another thread - http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=76031. This picture is kind of what you want to do, except he is using it for a different result.

In the upper left hand corner of the diagram, you would subsitute the "UHF Remote Antenna" with a "VHF/UHF TV/DTV Antenna" and replace the "SDTV" with a "Cable TV Connection". The satellite splitter is a normal TV/Cable splitter that operates between 50 - 1000 MHz.

In the bottom center of the picture, this satellite splitter is also a normal TV/Cable splitter that operates between 50 - 1000 MHz. However, the two outputs would go to where ever you needed the two outputs, or skip this splitter and go directly from the Diplexer VHF/UHF connector to the Ant/Cable connector on a receiver.

The only problem with this setup is: If you are not using a cable box, or a TV that can receive "digital cable" then you probably are using an analog cable system in which the frequencies for Cable Channels 2 - 13 are the same as TV Channels 2 - 13. Just like when you are in the country, you can not receive Channel 5 from 2 different cities when you are half-way between the two cities. You may be able to compensate for this by using modulators, cable boxes, or other techniques, but this may be more trouble or costs than its worth.

In case you do not know, diplexers are different than splitters (which usually can be used as a combiner). I think you can find 2 diplexers for <$10.

This is one site with many documents: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp
Including this one: http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishnetwork/Installation_Documents/The_Ins_and_Outs_of_Diplexers.pdf which is everything you wanted to know about diplexers.

Last edited:
t.scott said:
I personally just set a RV with this kind of set up and all I did was put an A/B switch between antenna and cable
I'm not the welcoming parade, but welcome.

An A/B switch could be an option to switch between two signals of the same frequency band such as an Antenna and Cable, it would require an additional cable; and gb387 is looking to avoid another length of cable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)