Saturday Shrines: Sporting News ranks the top 20 college football stadiums

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Here is the list:

1. Bryant-Denny Stadium, Alabama

2. Notre Dame Stadium, Notre Dame

3. Beaver Stadium, Penn State

4. Tiger Stadium, LSU

5. Ohio Stadium, Ohio State

6. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida

7. Michigan Stadium, Michigan

8. Neyland Stadium, Tennessee

9. Memorial Stadium, Nebraska

10. Rose Bowl, UCLA

11. Sanford Stadium, Georgia

12. Kyle Field, Texas A&M

13. Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Texas

14. Jordan-Hare Stadium, Auburn

15. Memorial Coliseum, Clemson

16. Camp Randall Stadium, Wisconsin

17. Doak Campbell Stadium, Florida State

18. Kinnick Stadium, Iowa

19. Lane Stadium, Virginia Tech

20. Michie Stadium, Army

Link:

Saturday Shrines: Notre Dame, Penn State among the best in the game - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Sandra

Here is the list:

4. Tiger Stadium, LSU

10. Rose Bowl, UCLA

20. Michie Stadium, Army

Link:

Saturday Shrines: Notre Dame, Penn State among the best in the game - NCAA Football - Sporting News

Sandra

Great list!!!

My personal favorite is Tiger Stadium for a NIGHT GAME.

Also, Michigan Stadium belongs in at least the top three.

Two omissions that stood out on this list:

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and the L.A. Coliseum.

Not only have the Trojans called the Coliseum home, UCLA played there until moving to the Rose Bowl a couple of decades ago.

Good list. I particularly like the number one slot :D
Everything they said is spot on and maybe even understating it except for one thing.

Stabler says its probably the biggest video screen in college sports, and that is not true. We do however have 4 separate large video screens. One in each corner of the stadium, unique if I am not mistaken. With the update, it is quite the place to watch a game.

Good list. I particularly like the number one slot :D
Everything they said is spot on and maybe even understating it except for one thing.

Stabler says its probably the biggest video screen in college sports, and that is not true. We do however have 4 separate large video screens. One in each corner of the stadium, unique if I am not mistaken. With the update, it is quite the place to watch a game.
Give "The Snake" a break. Those beers take their toll on the memory. :D

Great list!!!

My personal favorite is Tiger Stadium for a NIGHT GAME.

Also, Michigan Stadium belongs in at least the top three.

I went with some friends last year to see Penn State at Michigan Stadium last year. The stadium is no where near as loud or as nice as Neyland, The Swamp or Jordan-Hare.

I would say it is the most overrated on that list.

I was at Jordan-Hare in 2006 to see Florida play and it was literally ear piercing. That place should be higher.

Beaver Stadium is very nice also, probably the most gracious crowd to visitors, also.

Two omissions that stood out on this list:

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and the L.A. Coliseum.

Not only have the Trojans called the Coliseum home, UCLA played there until moving to the Rose Bowl a couple of decades ago.

I think the Old Orange Bowl should have been there too. It did not hold as many as all those other stadiums....but NONE of those stadiums can boast a 58 game home winning streak..... You HAVE to include a stadium where The U in their hey day...teams for a VERY long time knew it was an automatic loss coming to Miami.:cool:

I think the Old Orange Bowl should have been there too. It did not hold as many as all those other stadiums....but NONE of those stadiums can boast a 58 game home winning streak..... You HAVE to include a stadium where The U in their hey day...teams for a VERY long time knew it was an automatic loss coming to Miami.:cool:

Absolutely!! Good one, Salsa!! :up

This is a current list, so it wouldnt have been included for that reason.

Not to mention, I do not think any off campus stadiums should be on it. Being on campus adds to the whole experience. Of course that is just me and not why the Orange Bowl was not on the list.

This is a current list, so it wouldnt have been included for that reason.

Not to mention, I do not think any off campus stadiums should be on it. Being on campus adds to the whole experience. Of course that is just me and not why the Orange Bowl was not on the list.

Understandable. :up BUT, the Orange Bowl has been the exclusive home to The U since 1987. So YES, it was not a 'on campus stadium', but an exclusive university stadium for almost 2 decades none the less.

Dont you mean HAD been? ;)
Its an impressive resume, and Miami was feared there. It would have been on past lists (probably was), but not this one.

I know I wouldnt have wanted to go there to play in the up time of the canes. They were unbeatable.
Except for the last game that they played there. That must have left a sour taste in many fans mouth.

salsadancer7 said:

Great players, great coaches and great teams. Unfortunately lousy fan support.

Great players, great coaches and great teams. Unfortunately lousy fan support.

it's a private school where most of their alumni is in/from the Northeast?!:confused:

There is MORE alumni for Florida State and Florida in Miami than there is in Miami.

They get plenty of support. And will get MORE once they start winning close to how they use to. IF everyone that lived in Miami was infact FROM Miami, then believe me when I tell you....they would have as much support as most major college football programs. This is no different than the rest of the south Florida teams other than the Dolphins.

BUT, you know that because you live down here...right?

salsadancer7 said:
it's a private school where most of their alumni is in/from the Northeast?!:confused:

There is MORE alumni for Florida State and Florida in Miami than there is in Miami.

They get plenty of support. And will get MORE once they start winning close to how they use to. IF everyone that lived in Miami was infact FROM Miami, then believe me when I tell you....they would have as much support as most major college football programs. This is no different than the rest of the south Florida teams other than the Dolphins.

BUT, you know that because you live down here...right?

You made my point.

I went to school in Gainesville, I know the state well, thank you very much.

You made my point.

I went to school in Gainesville, I know the state well, thank you very much.

You cannot blame the city because most of the alumni lives somewhere else AND because it's a private school.

You may know GAINESVILLE well....but you do not know the state very well and you were there how many years? 4..5? Talk to me when you been here 10...15 years.. Just because I know MIAMI and southeast Florida well, that does not mean I know the entire state well.

Here is the list:

4. Tiger Stadium, LSU

10. Rose Bowl, UCLA

20. Michie Stadium, Army

Link:

Sandra
Rose bowl? That place is an old piece of junk with little to no modern items, old bleachers, and the only good seat are about 10 rows back from the field.

They are renovating it and it should be completed within the next couple of years. After that, it should be a better stadium

Last edited:
Rose bowl? That place is an old piece of junk with little to know modern items, old bleachers, and the only good seat are about 10 rows back from the field.

They are renovating it and it should be completed within the next couple of years. After that, it should be a better stadium
Old doesn't mean bad experience. Fenway Park and Wrigley Field are complete trash, but they are a good experience for a diehard baseball fan.

I am surprised the LA Coliseum isn't up there, but it is off campus

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)