This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Saving Electricity?

1 box isn't gonna do it

I find that very hard to believe. If it was running all the time with AC on, there was something wrong with it...and perhaps there still is.

I sure hope that the comment was a joke since if it is heating up the house then he needs to use it as a heating unit not as a STB.

You are quite correct. I have done such an audit mainly for amusement until I found out how much phantom power was being consumed. By the way, a single 311 receiver eats 38 watts of power regardless of power state. Just needs to be plugged in. I have 3 311 boxes. 38*3*24*30/1000=82.08 Kw per month just for Dish boxes. 82.08*$0.15=$12.31 per month for the dish receivers.

Between the Dish receivers, seldom used wall warts, and putting entertainment centers on surge strips (but x10 remote controlled) I have managed to reduce electricity usage almost $40.00 per month.

I sure hope that the comment was a joke since if it is heating up the house then he needs to use it as a heating unit not as a STB.

I was going to be more "severe", but thought I would let it ride.