Saving Electricity?

1 box isn't gonna do it

I find that very hard to believe. If it was running all the time with AC on, there was something wrong with it...and perhaps there still is.

I sure hope that the comment was a joke since if it is heating up the house then he needs to use it as a heating unit not as a STB.

All the "little" power consumers we have in our houses can really add up. All those wall wart power supplies hidden behind desks - some forgotten and connected to nothing - some connected to devices we seldom if ever use (my electric pencil sharpener comes to mind), alarm clocks, any device with a remote control, microwaves with clocks, your gas range with a clock in it, my bread machine even has a digital clock, cell phone chargers, cordless phones, caller ID boxes, sleeping computers, external hard drives, your modem and router, the battery charger for your digital camera, printers ... each of these draws a small amount of power 24/7. That can add up to more than some high current using devices that are only operated for a relatively short time each day.

I'd bet if many of us took the time to make a power audit of our homes we could find a bunch of devices we could unplug without sacrificing much.

You are quite correct. I have done such an audit mainly for amusement until I found out how much phantom power was being consumed. By the way, a single 311 receiver eats 38 watts of power regardless of power state. Just needs to be plugged in. I have 3 311 boxes. 38*3*24*30/1000=82.08 Kw per month just for Dish boxes. 82.08*$0.15=$12.31 per month for the dish receivers.

Between the Dish receivers, seldom used wall warts, and putting entertainment centers on surge strips (but x10 remote controlled) I have managed to reduce electricity usage almost $40.00 per month.

I sure hope that the comment was a joke since if it is heating up the house then he needs to use it as a heating unit not as a STB.

I was going to be more "severe", but thought I would let it ride.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts