Saving recordings to External HD

larrylwill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I am replacing my VP722 with another one that Dish sent me. I called to get them to activate my multimedia port(that was a trip). Took about 45 min.

I plugged in a USB hard drive. I got a message it was not compatible, so I found another HD, a Maxtor 40Gb. This drive was accepted. However it did not ask me to reformat it. The HD had photos on it, I beleive it was formatted to NTSC. Anyway. I was able to transfer photos from the external HD to the old recorder but when I try to access Dish recordings Manage device or send to device I get t he message 863 This feature is not supported. I called Dish NON tech support and got India and they didnt have a clue what I was talking about. What type of HD, reset the receiver what type of hd, what is the error number, wait I have to talk to a supervisor, what is the error message, waiut I have to talk to a supervisor. What are you trying to do. You get the idea.
Does anyone her have an idea why this feature is not supported? Sounds to me like it was never turned on.

I have sinced talked to a Non Tech in the US he knew slightly more than India. I took a look at the HD and it had 2 partitions on it one NTSC and one Fat. I reformatted it with NTC full and now its not recognized. So Im guessing it needs to be a fat partition and the one on it was only 20mb so it was too small. Im reformatting it with fat as soon as I can figure out how to do it in vista.

I have sinced talked to a Non Tech in the US he knew slightly more than India. I took a look at the HD and it had 2 partitions on it one NTSC and one Fat. I reformatted it with NTC full and now its not recognized. So Im guessing it needs to be a fat partition and the one on it was only 20mb so it was too small. Im reformatting it with fat as soon as I can figure out how to do it in vista.
You need to allow the receiver for re-format the drive...which is Linux. You can not go back and forth to a PC.

40GB is the line where it distinguishes what the device is. less than 40 = usb stick for pictures, bigger than 40 = hard drive, must reformat to allow recorded events transfer.

All it looks at is size, it thinks your ~40GB drive is a memory stick. You need a bigger drive.

the receiver never asked me to reformat it. I have tried 3 different drives. I have also tried a linex 2 format and a fat. It now just says not compatible. How can you get the receiver to reformat the drive. When it had a fat and ntfs partition it recognized it. Is everybody using a virgin drive for the USB? I also tried to delete the partition and it doesn't recognize it either.
think I read that it formats it with 2 partitions. The people at dish don't have a clue whats compatible and what's not

40GB is the line where it distinguishes what the device is. less than 40 = usb stick for pictures, bigger than 40 = hard drive, must reformat to allow recorded events transfer.

All it looks at is size, it thinks your ~40GB drive is a memory stick. You need a bigger drive.

you posted while I was posting. Ill steal a 160gb out of one of my old tivos and try again.
thanks

That was it. I put a 160gb in my usb box and it found it and formatted it.

Thank you

as I said Dish NON tech support

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts