use "old" 622 Hard drive in computer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RRiVEN

Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I bought a 622 receiver from my local retailer some time back and Now I just upgraded to a 722.

I took out the 622 Hard Drive and tried to use it in my computer (why waste 320 GB)

It does not spin up when I turn on my computer. I tried using the SATA power and the Molex power connection on the HD (Hitachi CinemaStar model: hcs725032vla380) I even bought a external Sata case for it and that does not work. If I leave the power plugged into the receiver and turn on the receiver My computer sees it just fine and I can use it.

Does anyone know how to get the Hard Drive to work in a computer, I would hate to throw away a good hard drive?

Thinking it was the HD I opened up my 722 and that HD acts the same way it is a Western Digital Caviar SE model: wd500aajs

Thanks

Some models of the 622 hard drive have a jumper that must be changed to remove the delay spinup that the 622 uses.

If yours has no jumper, you would be better off selling the 622 and using the proceeds to buy 3-4 500gb hard drives.

Matter of fact that is the smarter move anyway - why waste a 622 by pulling the hard drive.

How much do you want for the 622?

If you are interested, I can help you with the "conversion" of the drive to make it work in your computer, and I might be interested in what is left of the 622 for "parts". Maybe we can work something out.

Let me know if you are interested.

I believe the 622 HDD has special firmware that will not spin up until it receives a specific command from the 622 (to make it harder to plug into a pc and download content).

How do i replace a hdd in a 625...my hdd in my 625 died and i dont have warranty to get it fixed. Dish told me I would need to upgrade. Any idea on how to re-build the drive or can i get a new drive and put that in?

Thanks

How do i replace a hdd in a 625...my hdd in my 625 died and i dont have warranty to get it fixed. Dish told me I would need to upgrade. Any idea on how to re-build the drive or can i get a new drive and put that in?

Thanks

1st - you're posting offtopic question - see the thread name.
2nd - read that thread where desribed re-init procedure.

Problems with Hard Drive

Has anyone figured out how to get a 622/722 hard drive to work in their computer. I do not want to transfer recordings or anything like that. The receiver is of no use to me anymore plus its still a little black from a fire in my friends home that left it with smoke damage. (It still functions correctly)
The hard drive that came out of a 722 and is a Western Digital WD5000AAJS-57TKA0.
Here is what I have done so far:

1. I left the Hard Drive in the receiver and powered the receiver on,
2. Once the hard drive started spinning I unhooked the sata connector and hooked it into my computer via another sata cable.
3. I have deleted the 4 partitions that I found under computer management.
And I have reformatted it for Windows.
4. I still cannot get it to boot with it in the computer, only if its connected to the receiver.

Can anyone verify if this is a power issue?
Or is this due to some type of code being sent from the reciver to the drive to telll it to spin?

I am sorta handy with electronics so the directions you send (if very technical)dont have to be baby steps/
Either way if you know of a way I might get this drive working please let me know or PM me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)