Say it ain't so, Sampson!

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
Come on... just when we thought things were getting better at IU:

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff violated telephone recruiting restrictions imposed because of his previous violations at Oklahoma, then lied about it to the school and NCAA investigators, the NCAA said Wednesday.

The NCAA has listed five major violations against Sampson, saying he gave "false or misleading information" to investigators. The university released the NCAA's report on Wednesday morning.

Major violations of NCAA rules can carry punishments including postseason ineligibility. Indiana already had self-reported violations under Sampson in October, but the new discovery could put the Hoosiers' season, and Sampson's career, under a cloud of uncertainty.
ESPN.com made multiple efforts to reach Indiana athletic director Rick Greenspan over the past week but calls were not returned. Sampson did not return a message Tuesday.

Indiana (20-3, No. 12 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP) has until May 8 to provide a written response, but the matter could simmer late into the summer. The committee on infractions has a hearing in April, but because of an allotted 90-day window for Indiana to respond, the hearing is not expected to take place until the committee's planned June meeting.

University officials are scheduled to speak at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

A postseason ban for the Hoosiers would come into play only if IU decides to self-impose such a measure. Multiple sources told ESPN.com that a postseason ban would occur only if there were an issue with the eligibility of any current student athletes. ESPN.com has been told this isn't the case at this point.

They're going to have to fire this guy - it's not a school that likes having their image tarnished, especially after all those years with Knight... I'm actually surprised they kept him this long after all of the other issues he's had in such a short time there.

A pretty crappy day for Hoosiers fans if this is true (and what are the odds that it's not?).... who's going to want this job now?

ESPN - NCAA lists five major violations against Sampson, Indiana staff - Men's College Basketball

[/b]

Why do you say that?

Let me rephrase... I don't think that his coaching style can be relevant in today's game, at a school where you're expected to compete on the national level every year. In order to do that, you have to get the top level recruits, which he can't (many kids don't want to play for him) or won't (he doesn't want someone who's going to leave early) do. In his last 10 years at IU, even when he did get good recruits, he ruined them - his style of "breaking them down" and then rebuilding them to play his style doesn't fly with kids who want to play at a higher level.

Coach K, who is probably Knight's greatest prodigy, has learned how to adapt. Knight refuses to.

IU just had a press conference. The school president gave the AD "no more than 7 days" from today to do an investigation and then come back with a recommendation, and then he's going to make a decision. Until then Sampson keeps coaching.

When/if he is fired, he gets 10 days to appeal, during which time he would be suspended.

Avid IU fan here, and been so for over thirty years. Samson should do the right thing and step down on his own, but I see a bit of Belichik arrogance in him, neither one seems to think the rules apply to them. He has destroyed almost 50 years of tradition in the two short years he has been there. Either step down or be prepared to be ushered out.

Here we go again....

SI.com - Writers - Luke Winn: IU players say they won't play for Dakich - Friday February 22, 2008 1:37PM

I hope the school learned from their mistake. When Knight was fired, the players pulled some crap like this, too... the school caved and hired Mike Davis as the interim coach, leading to some pretty rough years.

These guys are kids - they need to grow up and learn what life is like in the real world, and the school needs to do what they feel the right thing to do is, regardless of what the kids say. I have a feeling they'll change their tune when faced with ending their season and/or giving up their scholarships.

Then again, if I was forced to take the decision of Rick Greenspan, I'm not sure I'd go along with it either - that guy should be fired with Sampson.

Let 'em go!! Then send a huge bill to their daddy's for tuition.

Here we go again....

SI.com - Writers - Luke Winn:*IU players say they won't play for Dakich - Friday February 22, 2008 1:37PM

I hope the school learned from their mistake. When Knight was fired, the players pulled some crap like this, too... the school caved and hired Mike Davis as the interim coach, leading to some pretty rough years.

These guys are kids - they need to grow up and learn what life is like in the real world, and the school needs to do what they feel the right thing to do is, regardless of what the kids say. I have a feeling they'll change their tune when faced with ending their season and/or giving up their scholarships.

Then again, if I was forced to take the decision of Rick Greenspan, I'm not sure I'd go along with it either - that guy should be fired with Sampson.

Sure, this couldn't have happened before the Purdue game on Tuesday... We needed all the help we could get.

Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah.....Nah, Nah, Nah, Nah....Hey, Hey, Hey...GOODBYE!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)