Say WHAT?!?!!?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
I am trying to get a side LNBF for 97w so i can get some FTA muxes there. I was tinkering with the LNBF for like 45 minutes. I got so fed up, i finally chased the signal even when it made NO SENSE at ALL! I was getting very strong signal, and was like, this is IMPOSSIBLE. No where else was I able to get a signal above 3db, and now im at a whopping 10db comparatively. I'm like okay, well, this really cannot be it.. So, i plugged it through to my receiver, and I'm getting the channel perfectly!!!

What the HELL!

I got it hijacked in right now in one of my multi-ports - so i can only receive Horizontal signals. But, any thoughts... I cannot imagine this is how it should stay...

Now, LOOK AT THIS PICTURE!
DSC_0006.JPG

Reactions: KE4EST
LOL! That's awesome!

Digital signals, are digital... Waveguides are waveguides...

You somehow caught the location of an exceptionally GOOD reflection, and your lnb has locked to it.

Don't try to understand it at present, just enjoy!

Reactions: iBoston
Just a few thoughts...

1. If the 2nd target satellite is lower in elevation than the primary centered satellite, the offset feedhorn opening would be placed higher than the primary centered feedhorn. If the 2nd satellite is higher in elevation than the primary centered satellite, then the feedhorn opening would be placed lower.
2. With no scalar, the feedhorn may be collecting off axis satellite signals or terrestrial RF. Rotating the feed in this direction may attenuate interfering signals.
3. If the clamp was holding the offset feedhorn at this focal length from the reflector and pointed straight into the center, it would be too close to the reflector compared to the primary centered feedhorn. Swung off at this angle the feedhorn opening may now be placed at the convergence point for the 2nd satellite.

I got it. Funny thing is, same exact signal quality. All i want is the Horizontal, so I am sharing it with 118w on the multi switch which i only use for the Vertical.

Ill try and fine tune it more tomorrow. At least i got all the wiring done correctly.

DSC_0008.JPG

Reactions: martin-f and KE4EST
Okay, i did some fine tuning and got it from 10db to 12db. Now my channel is SOLID. Now the problem is that this is held in place with bailing wire.

I went and ordered one of these to see how it works.

screenshot.1504306690.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: hank123
iBoston, Let us know how it works. I was thinking of trying "baling wire" too but will get this if it works for you. Where did you get it?

iBoston, Let us know how it works. I was thinking of trying "baling wire" too but will get this if it works for you. Where did you get it?

TEK2000.com

Looked at this too. Along with the quad.

From what I read, after stacking LNBFs you start to lose gain by them blocking what is coming in.

Please do let us know how it works.

Reactions: martin-f
LOL! That's awesome!

Digital signals, are digital... Waveguides are waveguides...

You somehow caught the location of an exceptionally GOOD reflection, and your lnb has locked to it.

Don't try to understand it at present, just enjoy!
once i aimed a dish at a aluminium sided house and pick up birds i could not do, but that was way back around 1983

Reactions: iBoston and Brct203

Okay, i got outside and put the dual conical ring up and i got both 91w and 97w locked, but it started getting pretty windy, so i did not get to fine tune. If it is not windy tomorrow, ill get it all fine tuned. There is a lot of room for improvement, because their are some transponders i could lock, but cannot at the moment. I get nervous on the ladder reaching out when its windy. Especially when im on a ladder on a storage container and the fall is a good 12' .:eek:

After i fine tune, ill post some pictures. It took quite awhile to do today, because i had to run a bunch more coax and install a new multi switch etc. I only had the horizontal running on 97w, but because of Rumble etc and others i wanted, i put in Titaniums Dual Cband and had to run the extra coax.

I got it. Funny thing is, same exact signal quality. All i want is the Horizontal, so I am sharing it with 118w on the multi switch which i only use for the Vertical.

Ill try and fine tune it more tomorrow. At least i got all the wiring done correctly.

View attachment 127978

That looks like a nice spun DH dish ? more pictures if possible please :).

Okay, all done.. Nice and calm this morning. I aligned 91w and then aligned 97w. I can receive 10.2db on Rumble and everything is well fine tuned. One thing to mention about getting that dual LNBF bracket on, you have to remove one of the support arms. Everything still seems stable, but we shall see how it handles this winter. This will be the FIRST winter on this dish up on this storage container, and we get our strongest winds during the winter.

I gotta say that this dish performs VERY WELL - I am VERY happy.

DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG

Okay, all done.. Nice and calm this morning. I aligned 91w and then aligned 97w. I can receive 10.2db on Rumble and everything is well fine tuned. One thing to mention about getting that dual LNBF bracket on, you have to remove one of the support arms. Everything still seems stable, but we shall see how it handles this winter. This will be the FIRST winter on this dish up on this storage container, and we get our strongest winds during the winter.

View attachment 128843 View attachment 128844

If you suspect you might have problems due to wind this Winter, why not add guy wires to the top of the pole? Use 5 strand galvanized guy wire, and get some good ground anchors.

View attachment 128843 View attachment 128844

You can always fill the pole with concrete. If you mix it soupy and add the fiber to it, it will pour inside the pole easily. You can take a long broom handle and work it up and down inside the pole, gradually working your way out of the pole to get the air bubbles out of the concrete. It will take a tank to bend it. It would likely tip over taking the concrete pad with it before it would bend the pole.

We set a dish on the very top of a mountain known to have wind gusts into the 70-80mph range, and we filled the pole like I described, and it's still there today. We used 3 yards of concrete in the pad. This place was so high in elevation that everything visible from their house was below the dish site. Just open sky on every side of the house. The guy said -25 degrees in winter wasn't unusual. Beautiful up there, but too darn cold for me in winter.

Reactions: KE4EST and FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)