SBC & Dish in new Joint Venture

Great looking receiver.I currently have sbc telephone service with dsl and E* with sbc.I have an 811 and a 522 and would love to swap for this!!!!

Unfortunately it seems that if you have your service directly thru E* instead of SBC, you currently do not qualify for anything. One person said they talked with SBC about switching to E* service through SBC. SBC told that person you had to be without E* service for 9 months before you could switch. Bummer.

Well, it can't be a 942, since the 2Wire blurb states "Dual Off-Air Tuners: Receive local digital/HD and analog broadcasts" and everything that's been released on the 942 says one OTA tuner. I must say, as an SBC customer, my interest is certainly piqued.

This sounds a lot like the Moxie system announced two years ago. Can SBC, Dish, and 2Wire make it work? We'll see. Next Question: How Much?????

No Gary, the 942 has actually been seen. Check Scott's thread on it. ;)

This new box, tho is exactly what Eldon is too incompetent to have done. :mad:

It's got one HUGE problem however. Not spec'd to work above 8000ft MSL. So, not only can't I get it (no SBC here), I couldn't use it anyway (I'm at 8600ft).

hdtvtechno said:
So it seems this 2wire box also supports HDTV signals ?
:D :D :D Oh, yeah.... :D :D :D

And Simon? 8,600 ft? Well, maybe with Global Warming, you'll qualify one day... (of course, I'll have to hold my breath being ~575' MSL) But, then again, look how long you (and everyone else) waited for the 921...

Please allow me to pat myself on the back for having made a wise decision to subscribe to Dish through SBC in March 2004. The 522 revolutionized the way I watch television for the better and when NBR arrived as an early Christmas present, it seemed that things couldn't get any better. Well, I was wrong. In 2005, I might be one of the first SBC customers in Ohio to enjoy one of these boxes. My switch last year from Road Runner to SBC DSL also now seems quite fortuitous. This new unit might be the final incentive I need to take the plunge into purchasing my first HD TV unit.

However, some big questions remain:

• How much and what kind of HD programming will be available to us?
  • How much will this cost?
  • Will this technology deliver what it promises?
  • Will Dish direct subscribers be able to take advantage of this new unit; or will Dish further piss off their loyal customers and bite the hand (SBC and customers) that feed them?

SimpleSimon said:
No Gary, the 942 has actually been seen. Check Scott's thread on it. ;)
I'm familiar with that thread. A mockup/prototype and a nice foamcore sign does not constitute an actual product.

It's like the concept car displays at the auto show. Very few turn into real vehicles. And, when they do, they are usually quite a bit different than the ones that were on display.

Is it just me, or did E* make the 921 either? I thought that while branded by E* it was actually made by a contractor for the 921 development. Would be ironic if it's the same contractor for the 2wire system, hmmmmm.

I am an sbc/dish customer.Maybe we can get this new setup just like I did my 811 and 522 on a dha plan.

In regards to cost...I would probably think this thing will cost $1000+ when it initially rolls out. They'll probably cut the price in half around Thanksgiving time frame. I really want a HD DVR receiver...but still don't want to pay $500 for it. Perhaps with this rollout the 921 price will be more reasonable.

fenwah said:
In regards to cost...I would probably think this thing will cost $1000+ when it initially rolls out. They'll probably cut the price in half around Thanksgiving time frame. I really want a HD DVR receiver...but still don't want to pay $500 for it. Perhaps with this rollout the 921 price will be more reasonable.

Someone at SBC told me this will be a lease service only. You won't be able to buy the box. Do expect a "not overly substantial" fee upfront to start the lease ($200 or less).

Randy_B said:
Someone at SBC told me this will be a lease service only. You won't be able to buy the box. Do expect a "not overly substantial" fee upfront to start the lease ($200 or less).

I'm all about leasing the thing for $5 a month. It looks promising. :yes

Randy_B said:

A lease fee of $5 a month is fine, but the $200 startup cost is a deal breaker for me. I'll stick with my 522 until hell freezes over before I'll pay them $200. It's just television for god's sake! Is this $200 refundable like a security deposit?

a $200 deposit is going overboard.$5 a month fee sounds good but I don't know if I will be have E* much longer due to lack of hd content.I would have loved to watched the orange bowl in hd.Maybe if they get abc and fox hd I will consider staying

Sorry, I was not saying it WOULD be a $200 set up, just that I was told there would be set up fee, rather than just merely a small monthly lease. They want to keep the fee from being an obstacle to entry, but it will have to be enough to cover some costs of the box. HD DVR receivers are selling for near a grand, so a fee of between $150-$200 would not be a complete killer. Might even be less depending on the service package you take as well, i.e. take ALL of the SBC services. I particpated in a short test/survey of some of the software services they were considering and it was very cool.

I am confused about this. It seems 2 me that there are 2 different devices. Here is from the 2Wire website:

MediaPoint is a client set top box that delivers the same features and services as its MediaPortal companion by leveraging the power of your broadband DSL connection and your home network. It brings the best of the airwaves and the Internet to more televisions and devices throughout your home.

However the website does not really distinguish between the 2 in features, as far as I can tell. It seems that each set will need a box. The question is how much are each?

Mitch

Randy_B said:
Sorry, I was not saying it WOULD be a $200 set up, just that I was told there would be set up fee, rather than just merely a small monthly lease. They want to keep the fee from being an obstacle to entry, but it will have to be enough to cover some costs of the box. HD DVR receivers are selling for near a grand, so a fee of between $150-$200 would not be a complete killer. Might even be less depending on the service package you take as well, i.e. take ALL of the SBC services. I particpated in a short test/survey of some of the software services they were considering and it was very cool.

I know you are the messenger and I appreciate the information. However, from this customer's perspective, I would not pay a fee for equipment if I am already paying to lease it. I thought the lease fee was supposed to spread out the costs of the equipment over time. :confused: That doesn't make sense to me. If it does to others, please let me know why?

For me it really depends on the monthly lease price. I wouldn't object to set up fee and a small monthly, vice a $20-$25 a month fee on the box. I suspect that by the time this ready to go they may end up rolling it all into a service/hardware bundle with the standard/obligatory 2 yr committment. I woulldn't mind a $150 a month price for the entire SBC package (DVR, Sat TV (+HD), Cingular, unlimited local/long voice, DSL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)