SBC Receiver Upgrade Cost?

cmags

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 31, 2005
i have dish through sbc and was trying to get another receiver. i wanted an 811 but that is $100 for the tech to come out and install. i ask for just plain jane 301 and they said $100. they wont mail it they have to have the tech come out to do install(dont know why?) anyway aound this? sorry i have to say this but its another reason to jump ship at this tim.

When I got my 811 they wanted $100 but since they screwed up my account and had to spend almost an hour on the phone trying to fix it, they waived the fee. The first time I called they wanted $399 for the 811, I was like "say what I could buy a new one for that money". Called again and got lucky.

To answer your question: You could try a different CSR and see if you get lucky.

I just upgraded and added an 811. They were going to charge $100 for the dish install (switched me to a 1000), but when the installer got here, we got to chatting and he pointed out that I would now receive the locals I was missing. I called back and asked for the charge to be waived and they said the only charge I had was for the programming.

Its standard procedure to have a tech come out to install the new receiver correctly. What are your concerns about having it installed by a tech? If he says he's going to do it in such a way that your not happy with you can refuse his work, do a walk through with the tech before work is started and watch him ( from a few feet back ) as he works.

I'd say it has more to do with the fact that people don't want to pay $100 to have a tech come out and do it when they can do it in less than an hour themselves if they are given the box.

thats the point. i dont want to pay $100 to watch him hook a box up for 15min (all cables are in place). i offered to have it mailed, nope. i offered to pick it up from sbc office, nope. even offered to take just plain receiver and not the HD receiver, nope. $100 reguardless.

korsjs said:
i would rather install myself as well. no need to waste the 100 bucks for someone to do it for you.

And to miss a day of work while you wait for the h.s. flunkie to show up and install it, then have no clue how to get into the check switch menu, pressing the same button 4 times and getting the same result saying "wierd" when he was pressing menu, 1 (program guide) and guess what displayed.

RIRWIN1983 said:
And to miss a day of work while you wait for the h.s. flunkie to show up and install it, then have no clue how to get into the check switch menu, pressing the same button 4 times and getting the same result saying "wierd" when he was pressing menu, 1 (program guide) and guess what displayed.
Nice way to generalize all dbs technicians there pally, ever read the threads in this site of people who have tried to do one part of an install or another on their own for the first time and cant figure out why the system wont work? Funny thing is is that theres a good chance that most have finished high school and college.
cmags said:
thats the point. i dont want to pay $100 to watch him hook a box up for 15min (all cables are in place). i offered to have it mailed, nope. i offered to pick it up from sbc office, nope. even offered to take just plain receiver and not the HD receiver, nope. $100 reguardless.
The thing is that nec codes are always changing, also there may be potential issues that need to be addressed with your system that arent clear to you.

Last edited:
The reason flat and simple. Dish is tired of going out and fixing customers systems. They require a tech to go out and make sure it is right. If it's not The tech is supposed to make it right.

Dish Tech With College Degree

This dish tech has 2 College Degree's
I have a 2
A.S. in Electronics Technology and In Industrial Automation

It is funny how many places I go to put in a Tivo or Dvr how messed up the install was from a previous installer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts