Sbs 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman76

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
1
SBS 6 is scheduled to be replaced by a new satellite named Horizons 2 by late 2007.

This is from PanAmSat's May 11th Quarterly Report:

"On August 1, 2005, PanAmSat formed its second 50-50 joint venture with JSAT, a leading satellite operator in the Asia-Pacific region, that will build and launch a Ku-band satellite to replace our SBS-6 satellite at 74 degrees west longitude. The joint venture is named Horizons-2. The satellite will support digital video, high-definition television and IP-based content distribution networks to broadband Internet and satellite news gathering services in the United States. This Horizons-2 satellite will be constructed over the next two years and is expected to be in service by late 2007. "

http://www.shareholder.com/pa/edgar.cfm
 

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
444
181
Mankato, MN
hopefully that will solve the V issue we have in MN
(the V transponders signals suck big rocks here in MN...Horizontal is fine)
 

photoman76

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
1
I have the same problem with verticals in California. Looks like we'll have to put up with it for another year and a half.
 

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
214
0
Fairfield, Cali
What kind of problems are you two having? 44-45 dBw on both poles in your areas...
photoman, I can guarentee no issues in Cali...
 

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
444
181
Mankato, MN
Krapola said:
What kind of problems are you two having? 44-45 dBw on both poles in your areas...
photoman, I can guarentee no issues in Cali...

take a look at the footprint. I am in MN

38-40 here

so we have low signals. That is common in MN regardless of dish size. When the New Orleans stations were on V, my signal was about 40-45
Now they're on H and its up to 90
 

Attachments

  • sbs-6_vertical_beam_Ku-Band.jpg
    sbs-6_vertical_beam_Ku-Band.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 205

photoman76

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
1
Krapola said:
What kind of problems are you two having? 44-45 dBw on both poles in your areas...
photoman, I can guarentee no issues in Cali...

On both my 7 1/2 KTI mesh dish and my 3 foot offset dish, I can't tune any of the NBC/MSNBC vertical feeds. I can see them on the Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer, but I can't lock any of them. They are just too weak here. Vertical analog feeds have sparklies. No amount of dish peaking seems to help improve the signals.
 

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
444
181
Mankato, MN
last night I had one feed on V but it was only at 40 quality on the Pansat :(

ONN was 65
New Orleans was 90
 

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
214
0
Fairfield, Cali
photoman76 said:
On both my 7 1/2 KTI mesh dish and my 3 foot offset dish, I can't tune any of the NBC/MSNBC vertical feeds. I can see them on the Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer, but I can't lock any of them. They are just too weak here. Vertical analog feeds have sparklies. No amount of dish peaking seems to help improve the signals.

Please specify the Transponder...Also, seeings you have a spec ann, what is your C/N for the Analogue feeds? I wouldn't expect to have a clean sig if you do not measure 27-30dB of C/N.....
 

fulszjep

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 19, 2005
48
0
The highest I have had on ONN is 30 in AZ with 1.2 channel master. Putting up my 5.5 bud and going to test it. Alot of sports on sbs
 

photoman76

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
1
Krapola said:
Please specify the Transponder...Also, seeings you have a spec ann, what is your C/N for the Analogue feeds? I wouldn't expect to have a clean sig if you do not measure 27-30dB of C/N.....

The Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer is not a true spectrum analyzer, but rather a Broadlogic DVB-S PCI Card modified to act like a spectrum analyzer. As such, it doesn't have a numerical C/N readout. Attached are two scans from SBS6 earlier today. I have no problem with horizontal signals, but I have a hard time with the vertical signals. http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html
 

Attachments

  • SBS6 H.jpg
    SBS6 H.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 170
  • SBS6 V.jpg
    SBS6 V.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 150

tvdxer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 6, 2004
201
1
In northern MN, the horizontal side of SBS 6 is fine with an 80 cm dish, but I am guessing that the verticals would demand at least a 1.2m or larger dish.
 

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
214
0
Fairfield, Cali
photoman76 said:
The Broadlogic Spectrum Analyzer is not a true spectrum analyzer, but rather a Broadlogic DVB-S PCI Card modified to act like a spectrum analyzer. As such, it doesn't have a numerical C/N readout. Attached are two scans from SBS6 earlier today. I have no problem with horizontal signals, but I have a hard time with the vertical signals. http://www.moonglow.net/tvro/blsa.html

Your Vert sig levels are the same or better than Horz. Can't understand why you are haveing issues with that pole. The only thing noted or that I can see is a few notches in the spectrum..That is kinda common with L-band and cable/connectors but I don't seem much attenuation there. I would not say you have a recieve problem from ant to the PCI card...From there on forward I would start to troubleshoot. Since you have a quazi spec ann, sweep you cables and look for annomolies/notches/atten spikes...L-band is a bitch to clean up...Question, why does you spec ann info inidicate 10600-LO?

Forgot to add....X-pol looks good as well...no substantial bleed over...
 
Last edited:

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
214
0
Fairfield, Cali
tvdxer said:
In northern MN, the horizontal side of SBS 6 is fine with an 80 cm dish, but I am guessing that the verticals would demand at least a 1.2m or larger dish.

Ya got one of those PCI do-hickys like Photoman? Take a couple plots if ya can
 

photoman76

Thread Starter
SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 8, 2005
3,291
1
Krapola said:
Your Vert sig levels are the same or better than Horz. Can't understand why you are haveing issues with that pole. The only thing noted or that I can see is a few notches in the spectrum..That is kinda common with L-band and cable/connectors but I don't seem much attenuation there. I would not say you have a recieve problem from ant to the PCI card...From there on forward I would start to troubleshoot. Since you have a quazi spec ann, sweep you cables and look for annomolies/notches/atten spikes...L-band is a bitch to clean up...Question, why does you spec ann info inidicate 10600-LO?

Forgot to add....X-pol looks good as well...no substantial bleed over...

Thanks for the information. The analzyer says 10600-LO because I'm using a universal lnbf so I can tune in the low band ku on PAS 9.

How do I sweep the cables?
 

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
214
0
Fairfield, Cali
Sorry for the late response...wifie has been out givin birth...

for sweeping cables/connectors you will need a sig gen with a range from 0 to 2 gig as a min freq range. You should sweep thru all associated spliters that are NOT powered. Your Broadlogic card input capabilities need to be clearified so as you don't overdrive the front end or in the very worse case, blow it's input...No more that 2-3dB fluctuation should be felt along the range. If you find more atten than that, a replacement of cable/connectors are needed..Like I said earlier, L-band is a bitch to keep clean due to poor/consumer grade Q/C.....Good luck sir...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top