SBS6 - fixed dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
Would this help my reception of SBS6? It seems as if there may be an odd skew I never read about in the forums. Would this help? Anyone try it?

It will vary on where you are located.

http://www.panamsat.com/global_network/sbs_6_ku.asp

Down in FL, a larger dish would probably be your best bet Your 80Cm (assuming from your sig) is probably not cutting it.
I get great reception on my channelmaster, but I am also in the prime location for this sat :)

SBS6 is always great for feeds, so if you watch those alot, then a fixed dish might be a plus. Otherwise, I'd upgrade your motorized to a 100cm.

SBS6 doesnt have an odd skew. The footprint sucks on the edge states (especially vertical). Vertical sucks here in MN

The quality of the lnbf has made a big difference for me too. I can get ONN on pretty much anything, it seems to be a really strong signal here in Virginia. The other regular channels can be a little tough with lower quality lnbf's.

At my location in VA I am halfway between 74W and 79W.I use both for southern alignment.Comes in strong here.No special scew.
Reinhold

I moved my dish today to the new pole.....turns out the reason I cannot get SBS6 is there is a PINE TREE right on the edge of the satellite. I can hit the sats on either side of SBS6, but not the sat itself. I was sitting on SBS6, the wind started blowing just a bit, I watched the tree move about a bit and BAM! had a 64% signal! Wind stopped, no signal. Dangit. :mad:
Tree is around 150 feet away, but the danged thing is 125 feet tall!

We have plenty of pine beetles down, here, believe me, but this tree isn't mine...My neighbor across the street...been knowing them for 25 years, the tree is right next to the power lines so he can't cut it. he got a price of 600 bucks to have it taken down, he thinks that's expensive, I told him that was cheap. :)

Next time I see him I am gonna tell him his danged tree is blocking MY satellite, and he needs to have that tree cut. :D

600 for one tree sounds ridiculous to me, but then , I know how to use a chainsaw. I'd shop around for a tree service, maybe you can offer to split the bill or something. Or maybe hint to the electric co that the tree is a hazard to their lines and should be cut!
Sometimes you can move your pole enough to give you a better line of sight to the bird you want, I've done that too. Good luck!

actually 600 is a good price for a bonded & insured tree cutter
thats about the going rate here

notice i said bonded & insured , so if he cuts it and it tears something up he can cover it....

600 for one tree sounds ridiculous to me, but then , I know how to use a chainsaw. I'd shop around for a tree service, maybe you can offer to split the bill or something. Or maybe hint to the electric co that the tree is a hazard to their lines and should be cut!
Sometimes you can move your pole enough to give you a better line of sight to the bird you want, I've done that too. Good luck!

Oh I got a Stihl that would love to tear into it....but its so close to the power lines he doesn't want to mess with it, plus hes got one of those postage stamp ( no offence to those of y'all who have one too) sized yards and the tree would cover his yard and the neighbor's yards and fences too if thrown down. Nope, this one has to be taken down.

yep, thats plan b. Primestar oval in a different place in the yard for sbs6. Direct burial cable from the D* man next time I see him. :)
Because I am not burying anymore conduit. :(

The chainsaw, the FTA enthusiast's best friend :D

Sometimes I expect to see the various brands and models available at Home Depot and Lowes to be reviewed here along with other FTA equipment ;)

review chain saws

Sometimes I expect to see the various brands and models available at Home Depot and Lowes to be reviewed here along with other FTA equipment ;)

April is coming.
You have your assignment :up

tron for my christmas present I bought one of those Huskies at Lowes=18" bar guess once I get nice weather to really rev it up I will have to write about it.

Stihl MS290 Farm Boss, 18" bar. Replaced my MS290 Farm Boss that some lowlife stole during Katrina. I only use a chainsaw maybe twice a year, but when I do use it I want a GOOD one. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)