Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryK

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 25, 2005
Hi all,

I've had my 4dtv (922) for a year now, and I can generally get every satellite from west to north without difficulty. (I'm in Michigan)

SBS6 is for me just a hair past south -- a stretch for my actuator but it gets there -- however anything I find is always really weak, with visible static. I'd say a signal above 50 or 60 is rare.

So is that bird weak, or is my dish perhaps a little off?

I noticed the same with my dish. It made it hard to even store the 'B6' position.

I assumed it was just Ku being it's picky self and something wasn't spot on with my dish's alighnment.

With my smaller Ku dish I never had any problems with SBS6. I'll have to pick up another analog reciever (I knew I shouldn't have gave all mine away!) for the Analog B6 goodies.

SBS-6 is actually a relatively high-power Ku satellite. However, what some uplinkers will do is take a full transponder and split it into two, an upper and lower which cuts the effective radiated power in half. Sometimes you’ll see slate that say “XPDR-9U” or XPDR-9L” the U & L are for the upper and lower half of that transponder.

Another thing that can make Ku birds seem weaker is using the wrong receive bandwidth, on my Chaparral Monterey receiver I can select between 4 different bandwidths and for most full Ku transponders 26 or 36MHz works well, with 14 or 20MHz being used for the split transponders.

Tony
Home Page - http://www.cyberspace.org/~awh/
--

SBS6 is to be replaced

From Intelisat's 10Q:
On August 1, 2005, we formed our second 50-50 joint venture with JSAT, a leading satellite operator in the Asia-Pacific region, that will build and launch a Ku-band satellite to replace our SBS-6 satellite at 74 degrees west longitude. The joint venture is named Horizons-2. The satellite will support digital video, HDTV and IP-based content distribution networks to broadband Internet and satellite news gathering services (SNG) in the United States. This Horizons-2 satellite is currently being constructed and is expected to be in service by late 2007.

So, maybe it will get better when it is replaced, who knows.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)