SC to start 8PSK HD

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Sometime after March 8, SC will start changing to 8SPK on HD channels.

F2 tr 27 will be changed over first. SRC HD is being moved to this transponder. Eventual plans are for SRC - East, CBC - West and either KOMO or SRC -West to be loaded when 8SPK transmissions start.

DSR 505/530 are 8SPK capable. DSR 500 is not and will be swapped at no charge (except freight).

No word on what will be done for HDD20X users.

Sometime after March 8, SC will start changing to 8SPK on HD channels.

F2 tr 27 will be changed over first. SRC HD is being moved to this transponder. Eventual plans are for SRC - East, CBC - West and either KOMO or SRC -West to be loaded when 8SPK transmissions start.

DSR 505/530 are 8SPK capable. DSR 500 is not and will be swapped at no charge (except freight).

No word on what will be done for HDD20X users.

I assume DSR405's are not either :(

I assume DSR405's are not either (

Motorola 92X and 4XX are not 8PSK capable.

Since most of the cable head end receivers must be replaced, I wouldn't be surprised if SC changed over 1 or 2 transponders at a time.

Western cable companies want CBC-W/CTV-W and KOMO added first. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 more services added to the HD Extra package

So it looks like 30 HD channels on existing transponders when changeover completed:
20 at no extra charge
Rogers Sportsnet with Sports bundle
TMN1, TMN2, MC with associated movie packages
6 in HD Extra package: Discovery, A&E, HDNet + 3 others

Last edited:
So for those of us South of the border, how do we deal with DSR500?

It will get expensive to ship to Canada and get new one shipped back (assuming that KUSAT will even help there).

I do not suppose that Future Shop would be a swap point (allowing a quick road trip over the border)?

If I do nothing, do I loss HD or just miss out on new channels?

you wont have access to the new channels they add and then at a point you'll lose all of them. Remember...these will also be for cable companies too (as jumbo dumbo mentioned above) so they'll have to swap out that equipment. I don't see the existing stuff leaving for a while

So for those of us South of the border, how do we deal with DSR500?

It will get expensive to ship to Canada and get new one shipped back (assuming that KUSAT will even help there).

I do not suppose that Future Shop would be a swap point (allowing a quick road trip over the border)?

As soon as each TP is converted you will simply be unable to receive any signal from that TP.

I have a feeling that Shaw Broadcast will likely fully implement 8PSK on all HD channels by the end of 2007. There really isn't that many major cable systems sourcing from Shaw Broadcast.

It's mainly independent systems out west and a select few out east. Rogers, Videotron, Cogeco and many independent systems in Ontario get their feeds via fiber.

back to the original question.

For those south of the border with DSR500, what options are there to get a compliant receiver.

Buying a used DSR505 (from Canada) is hardly a solution.

I guess as a minimum I can ship my original DSR500 to KUSAT and have them ship replacement DSR505 ? Or can this only be done through StarChoice?

That being the case, I guess I ship the old unit to my address in Canada and have them send me the SC replacement. However, I was trying to avoid all that shipping and customs etc etc.

Would be great if I could take to Future Shop for an exchange.

How does SC handle the replacement of the "old" units. I assume they are exchanging for free?

From what I read, I will loss all HD by fall this year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)