Scam call or legit?

aviation76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
DFW, TX
I received a call tonight from someone stating that they were from Dish Network. The caller ID displayed "Dish Purch Corp" from (800) 333-3474 (which is being spoofed because when I went back through my caller ID history a local number is now depicted). He proceeded read a statement that my satellites were changing and he wanted my receiver box information. This reeks of a phishing scam so I told him that I was busy and to call back another night. Of course, I will ignore the call. If there is any legitimacy to this call, would Dish ever call customers on a Sunday night to relay this information? In the past, I received a letter in the mail stating if there would be any changes to programming due to satellite changes.

Thanks.

First of all, I would ignore it. Phishing or not, not clear. But, in this day and age, there are no Weekend offs anymore, AND, I can't remember the last time I received a LETTER from Dish about anything!
Was the caller speaking in broken English? :biggrin
So what's new or suspicious about that? Par for the course, these days.

As I had to tell our customers when I sold Dish.

"Remember dish will never call or email you and ask for your account information such as your account number, receiver number, smart card, social security number or other account related information. Please do not give out this information"

Considering I had to read that line with every sale, this is a scam.

I received a call tonight from someone stating that they were from Dish Network. The caller ID displayed "Dish Purch Corp" from (800) 333-3474 (which is being spoofed because when I went back through my caller ID history a local number is now depicted). He proceeded read a statement that my satellites were changing and he wanted my receiver box information. This reeks of a phishing scam so I told him that I was busy and to call back another night. Of course, I will ignore the call. If there is any legitimacy to this call, would Dish ever call customers on a Sunday night to relay this information? In the past, I received a letter in the mail stating if there would be any changes to programming due to satellite changes.

Thanks.
Phone number spoofing is rampant. The federal trade commission and all 50 States Attorneys General should be looking into this nefarious and vicious practice.

Phone number spoofing is rampant. The federal trade commission and all 50 States Attorneys General should be looking into this nefarious and vicious practice.

Caller ID spoofing is a fricken joke. Any commercial phone system such as mine can spoof a number.

All the carriers need to do is not allow you to spoof a number outside of the phone numbers listed on the account. However the issue is when you do a trunk to trunk forward you need spoofing to retain the caller ID data of the original call.

There are some good uses for spoofing. I actually spoof my cell phone number on my desk phone at work. I find that more people will pick up my calls when I call from a known number, and it makes call backs easier.

They really need to shut down spoof card, and the other sites out there because they have no good purpose.

A really cool thing is caller ID unblocking. I use Automatic Number Identification on all my toll free numbers. I get the caller ID info every time since I'm paying for the call.

I actually take the voice mail on my cell phone and forward it to an 800 number. People may call me on a blocked number, but I always get the caller ID Data when they leave me a voice mail

Reactions: Tampa8
Well, some people have also reported them online, though. Even since years ago. Some of latest reports that I can find are filed at whycallme/800-xxx-xxxx.html just several hours ago. I think it's better if we should just never trust any caller, especially if we don't know the number.

Last edited by a moderator:
The family numbers are white-listed and ring with a distinctive tone. Everything else goes to electronic voice messaging!

About a year ago I had the reverse happen. I called DISH, but accidentally dialed 888-333-DISH instead of 800-333-DISH. They were ready for me and I almost fell for it, but instead of the usual "I see you are one of our best customers" and telling me the name on the account, the operator made some excuse about the menu system computer being down and asked for account and name info.:eek:

Reactions: Tampa8
The family numbers are white-listed and ring with a distinctive tone. Everything else goes to electronic voice messaging!

About a year ago I had the reverse happen. I called DISH, but accidentally dialed 888-333-DISH instead of 800-333-DISH. They were ready for me and I almost fell for it, but instead of the usual "I see you are one of our best customers" and telling me the name on the account, the operator made some excuse about the menu system computer being down and asked for account and name info.:eek:
888-333-3474 has been DTV for many years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)