Scammer using Dish phone number

b_pat

Original poster
Aug 2, 2008
I got a call today from someone claiming to be with Dish. The reason I answered was the caller ID said "Dish 800-333-3474". That's the phone number on the Dish website. First the guy said he needed to schedule a tech visit for some sort of upgrade (or maybe point the dish at a new satellite, I don't remember) and we settled on Saturday 8am-12pm. After discussing the receivers I have, however, he said the visit would be unnecessary and someone could walk me through the upgrade process over the phone. He said Dish would be giving me a $10 discount for the next 2 years and that my bill would be reduced from $69.10 to $59.10. My last payment to Dish was $69.12. That's 2 cents off, but you can imagine why my impression was it was a legitimate call from Dish. In addition to that he had my home address, though I did have to correct the zip code. I realized the caller probably actually wasn't Dish when he said the upgrade would involve a one-time charge of $179.95 (in retrospect I admit I should have known it wasn't Dish and hung up). He said there would be a follow-up call in 30 minutes. I immediately called Dish and they said my suspicion was correct and there are never charges for such upgrades.

I wasn't aware that scammers could make another phone number appear in the Caller ID. What's weird is I blocked the number and 30 minutes later their call was blocked. That means I'm currently blocking both the scammer and Dish. Hopefully anyone receiving such a call will have the sense to know Dish wouldn't need your credit card info.

Reactions: ncted
Isn’t there a system coming online early next year to address this problem?

Since I authorized T-Mobile to block suspected spammers (for free), I haven’t had but one get thru, vice several a day.

My land line still gets several a day.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

There is supposed to be new technology coming that will at least cut down on the number spoofing abuse. There are legitimate uses for displaying a different number in Caller ID than the actual calling number though, which makes sorting out the bad from the good a bit more difficult.

There are legitimate reasons for a business to have the caller ID show a different number than the number doing the calling. So simply make sure you "spoof" a number you already own or have legally assigned and make it illegal to spoof a number that isn't yours. Being able to spoof a number in use that belongs to someone else (without consent) shouldn't be allowed for any reason.

I wonder if the technology will have some way to validate that the displayed number belongs to the caller even if it's not the calling number. Legitimate call centers often use 800 series call back numbers for instance, instead of displaying an individual agent's DID number.

As long as the call center owns or works for someone who owns the number, I expect that should be fine. There needs to be some kind of certificate-based authorization though IMHO.

hmm i get cranky calls but then i go to donotcall.gov and then report there number then I will not get cranky calls for awhile but those robocalls start up again. so this is what i do.
if someone now calls me they have to leave a message otherwise i will not answer phone. if i do not hear them leave a message on my answering me, i dont care who is is that is calling. i screen calls.
when i go home i check answer machine.
why bother calling someone if they wont leave a message only those scammers, robocallers do that. screw them my time is to precious.
:) one time someone called cell phone left a message in some chinese or korean language i had no idea what they were saying. so that is annoying to me too

even those messages are weird messages too dont know wtf they saying lilke when they mumbling something like that i am like they must got something in there mouth . uh
someone also left a message about ordering stuff, hell i never ordered nothing.
and then the broken english.

made my day tho one day because i love humor ;)
here is a better one, 1 they can call me and if they are telemarker i will say county morgue can i help u :)
did that once hehe that will teach them to bother me

As long as the call center owns or works for someone who owns the number, I expect that should be fine. There needs to be some kind of certificate-based authorization though IMHO.
the thing is people spoof and the person answering thinks its a legitimate call when it isnt.
u know. someone call me asking me for my date or birth or etc to confirm i didnt give it to them.they want address and to confirm personal stuff screw them hell no.
another time someone called my house asking me who is this? are they for real are they kidding me i told them u call me and ur asking me who is this. hmm crazy world

the only way i give my information to someone of a personal nature is like when i call the doctors office to confirm appointment and they need my date of birth and phone and address to verify who i am. if someone ever calls you never ever give personal information to them.
i dont care who it is just hang up never let anyone confuse u or take liberties.
dont trust that person calling you if they ever ask for personal information right away its a scam.
if its a legitmate company you can call them back and ask them whats up.
everyone has the right to hang up, u dont have to explain anything to anyone calling you etc.

:) peace

I wonder if the technology will have some way to validate that the displayed number belongs to the caller even if it's not the calling number. Legitimate call centers often use 800 series call back numbers for instance, instead of displaying an individual agent's DID number.

They will probably allow the call only to display numbers belonging to that carrier or particular customer.

I spoof my phones at work so we are calling out from the same 800 number sometimes.

The problem is that these companies making the robo calls will simply buy huge blocks of local numbers in many different area codes to display.

The only way they will stop the robo call issue is to only allow called ID to be spoofed to a number a customer owns, and have some way to register the number to a particular business or person.

Caller Id Is too easy to Spoof. With my commercial phone system I can spoof a caller ID in under a minute.

The problem is that these companies making the robo calls will simply buy huge blocks of local numbers in many different area codes to display.
Not entirely the case. They will use any number they want, even numbers owned/used by others.

I just got a voicemail today asking me to put them on the do not call list. So obviously someone spoofed my number, because I never called them.

Reactions: JSheridan
Not entirely the case. They will use any number they want, even numbers owned/used by others.

I just got a voicemail today asking me to put them on the do not call list. So obviously someone spoofed my number, because I never called them.

I’m saying if the phone carriers require authentication.

Reactions: pattykay and ncted
Odd that I was reading this thread when my phone rang. It was not a scam, but a guy wanting to know if I just tried to call him. Wait until you get a call or a few calls from your own number as I have! :)

I get those once in a while, "did you call me"? Uhm no I didn't, sorry but someone must have spoofed my number.

Was reading an article about a guy who had his number spoofed hundreds of times a day. The only recourse a person has is to change your number. Personally I'd just sooner turn the phone off and let it play itself out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts