Scan Local Channels not working?

acpmadness

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Ever since the new software update my "scan local channels" isn't working. NBC comes in and the singnal is 88 but when I go to scan nothing shows up and it says I have 0 local channels. Anyone else have this problem?

An owner of a local TV station (WDBJ) posted this on a locally oriented AVS forum.
---
A new FCC regulation will require local digital stations to change the way "PIDS" data is inserted into the signal effective January 1. With short notice, most stations are scrambling to make the deadline -- and most won't get it done this week. Changing the way this data is inserted will mean your receiver will no longer be able to understand the signal it is getting until it "re-learns" the station. Each local station will have to make modifications to its encoder, and each is likely to do so on a different day. That means you may well see some stations you have been receiving just disappear over the next couple of weeks -- one at a time -- until your receiver scans again. There is also some concern that certain older ATSC receivers may not be able to decode the new data stream at all.
---
This might be what is happening.

The problems are most likely due to the new PSIP generators being implemented as mentioned above. I receive programming from 4 DMAs and I am having various problems with each one. These problems are well documented on the AVSFORUM, HDTV, Local HDTV Info and Reception - no sense in rehashing them here. Anyway, the following thread (Richmond VA) should give you a good idea of the problems. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=435750&perpage=20&pagenumber=46

I get the feeling VOOM/Motorola may need to update a great number of DMA Maps based on one some of the changes I am seeing.