Sci Fi Goes for Cool as Syfy New Name

Supertv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Miami Florida
Sci Fi channel is changing its name to Syfy as it tries to move away from the genre’s association with geeks and space aliens, TelevisionWeek reports. The network will launch the new name July 7 when its new series "Warehouse 13" premiers, TVWeek says.
—Jon Lafayette :)

Yup MultiChannel also reported it this morning.

Some folks will be upset about the name change, but in reality the big reason why they did it was because they couldn't trademark the "SCI FI" name, but they can the SYFY name. :)

I really wouldn't care what they call it if they would only stick to it's roots as in Science Fiction. I am heartily tired of game shows, wrestling, etc on a channel that is supposed to be airing science fiction.

I went with satellite back in the 90s because of the Sci-fi channel that showed Dark Shadows, Bionic Woman ,6million dollar man, etc. I watch Sci-Fi now for :

Battlestar Galactica-soon to end.
Dr. Who- When is it coming back?
Stargate Atlantis -cancelled.
Stargate-Cancelled.

I barely ever watch their monster of the week movies that they come out with each Saturday. They are always computer generated creations that are stupid like a giant squid . So I won't be watching Syfy much at all anyway in the future.

It's not because it wants to start airing stuff like wrestling, it's because 'geeks and space aliens' are more than what SciFi is about. They have a lot of supernatural and paranormal programming like Ghost Hunters.

Losing their identity seems to be a trend with these theme channels. I hadn't watched TV Land for awhile, came back to watch a few episodes of Green Acres, and was treated to obnoxious logos and promos all over the screen hawking a "reality show" in prime time. Very annoying.

I don't see how keeping the same name but spelling it wrong is trying to distance themselves from their identity.

I don't see how keeping the same name but spelling it wrong is trying to distance themselves from their identity.

They can't trademark SciFi is the point, and aren't trying to distance themselves from their identity, they're trying to build a brand that is greater than the default connotations of the genre 'Sci-Fi' to give more exposure to supernatural and paranormal programming among other things/reasons.

Perhaps they are trying to identify with a demographic that BELIEVES Sci-Fi is spelled S-y-f-y.:D (wonder if they are getting ready for robo-tractor pulls and a new reality series with Rosanne Barr and John Goodman - talk about horror.)

Whatever they call the channel, the content quality seems to be headed the wrong direction. With the cancellation of the Stargates, Battlestar Galactica, and Flash Gordon to name a few, now they have even more time to fill with your favorite insect monster movie. Once BSG finishes up this week, I don't think I'll have any more reason to tune in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts