Sci Fi - I have a theory

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
ok...I have a theory...

Sci Fi was not added, USA was...both owned by the same company and there is a great mystery as to why it was not added.

NFL HD was not added....

HGTV was not added....

BUT NBC is broadcasting the Olympics on 3 channels, all HD.

Anyone think they decided to forgo these channels until just after the Olympics to save the bandwidth and use it for NBC? Once they are over those channels, or some of them, will become available?

I think SCI-Fi Channel is going to go HD this year. I believe Voom might be waiting for this to happen before they add. Anyways I think Voom needs to drop the MOOV Channel and add SCI-Fi HD.

jimmykce1 said:
I think SCI-Fi Channel is going to go HD this year. I believe Voom might be waiting for this to happen before they add. Anyways I think Voom needs to drop the MOOV Channel and add SCI-Fi HD.

They could drop all the VOOM only HDTV channels for SCIFI-HD and I would be happy.

Bravo, USA, Sci Fi to air on HD channel

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA440888?display=Search+Results&text=bravo+hd

Triple Threat -- Bravo, USA, Sci Fi to air on HD channel
By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/2/2004

Now that USA Network and Sci Fi Channel are in the family, NBC Universal is busy overhauling its Bravo HD+ service. The result will be a pan-NBC Universal Cable HD channel.

"We have a much broader array of cable brands and a stronger programming asset to draw from for HD," says Jean-Briac Perrette, senior vice president of new media development for NBC Universal Cable.

Bravo HD+ launched last year with shows like The West Wing, Cirque de Soleil and performance specials. So far, Cablevision, Mediacom, Insight Communications, DirecTV and Voom offer the service, but major players Comcast, Time Warner and Cox haven't signed on. With additional high-profile content from USA and Sci Fi, the HD service could prove enticing to operators.

The channel's transition will happen slowly in the coming months.

NBC Universal has decided to simulcast USA's early-round U.S. Open tennis coverage on Bravo HD+, including prime time coverage of the tournament's first week, which kicks off Aug. 30. After Labor Day, Bravo HD+ will offer all of USA's tournament coverage, which runs through the Sept. 12 women's doubles final. In total, there will be 65.5 hours of HD tennis.

In coming months, USA's original series Monk or off-nets of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit might pop up. Sci Fi theatrical movies and originals like Stargate Atlantis could, too. Other possibilities: USA's popular Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and the network's movie library. In addition, some Universal Television classics, such as Knight Rider and Quantum Leap, have been upconverted to HD.

In future, expect more of USA and Sci Fi's originals to be produced in HD.

At other cable networks, such as the Discovery networks and TNT, more original series and specials are being produced in HD to feed both their standard-definition and high-def networks.

Clearly, with more-diverse programming, Bravo HD+ warrants a name change. Perrette says that the cable group's marketing team is busy exploring options.

GregN said:
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA440888?display=Search+Results&text=bravo+hd

Triple Threat -- Bravo, USA, Sci Fi to air on HD channel
By Allison Romano -- Broadcasting & Cable, 8/2/2004

Now that USA Network and Sci Fi Channel are in the family, NBC Universal is busy overhauling its Bravo HD+ service. The result will be a pan-NBC Universal Cable HD channel.

"We have a much broader array of cable brands and a stronger programming asset to draw from for HD," says Jean-Briac Perrette, senior vice president of new media development for NBC Universal Cable.

Bravo HD+ launched last year with shows like The West Wing, Cirque de Soleil and performance specials. So far, Cablevision, Mediacom, Insight Communications, DirecTV and Voom offer the service, but major players Comcast, Time Warner and Cox haven't signed on. With additional high-profile content from USA and Sci Fi, the HD service could prove enticing to operators.

The channel's transition will happen slowly in the coming months.

NBC Universal has decided to simulcast USA's early-round U.S. Open tennis coverage on Bravo HD+, including prime time coverage of the tournament's first week, which kicks off Aug. 30. After Labor Day, Bravo HD+ will offer all of USA's tournament coverage, which runs through the Sept. 12 women's doubles final. In total, there will be 65.5 hours of HD tennis.

In coming months, USA's original series Monk or off-nets of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit might pop up. Sci Fi theatrical movies and originals like Stargate Atlantis could, too. Other possibilities: USA's popular Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show and the network's movie library. In addition, some Universal Television classics, such as Knight Rider and Quantum Leap, have been upconverted to HD.

In future, expect more of USA and Sci Fi's originals to be produced in HD.

At other cable networks, such as the Discovery networks and TNT, more original series and specials are being produced in HD to feed both their standard-definition and high-def networks.

Clearly, with more-diverse programming, Bravo HD+ warrants a name change. Perrette says that the cable group's marketing team is busy exploring options.

I like the sound of this. HD is expensive. Voom could benefit from this strategy. I'm not saying to scrap what they are doing now, just delay it until HD becomes more available and cheaper. It looks to be a slower than expected transition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts