Scott,any word on fixing 811

Petemc11

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
Scott,first of all, thanks for all the info in this website.It's been very helpful.Have you talked to your Dish contact about the bad video quality of SD out of the 811?My previous receiver (a 2800) had better detail and luminance.Also when watching through s video,I see a small vertical shift every 20 seconds or so.Do you think that a software upgrade can solve these problems or is it the hardware? Thanks again, Pete

Is your problem on all channels watching SD or is it only watching over the air channels and not satellite when it occurs?

I don't have ota yet.The wife and kid also complained about the sd video.HD looks fantastic.I'm thinking of putting a inline amp I saw at Lowes($16.99).Think it will help?(13 db gain)The cable from the dish to receiver is about 35 ft. with several connections in between.(switch boxes,ground block,and a drip loop they added after first install because they forgot to do that )

Petemc11 said:
I don't have ota yet.The wife and kid also complained about the sd video.HD looks fantastic.I'm thinking of putting a inline amp I saw at Lowes($16.99).Think it will help?(13 db gain)The cable from the dish to receiver is about 35 ft. with several connections in between.(switch boxes,ground block,and a drip loop they added after first install because they forgot to do that )

If it's bad on the DBS channel I don't like a an will do anything for you, with digital either it's going to work or not. May folks have said that when looking at SD video on a HD monitor it just doesn't look as good as if you were watching on a non HD set. The thinking is that the HD set just shows too much of the 'garbage' in a SD picture.

Pete, have you ever had a 6000 receiver to compare the SD to? On the 6000 I have been watching SD upconverted to 1080i and do get a softer look. My 811 should be installed this morning so I should be able to compare the two.

volfan615,no I went from a 2800 receiver to the 811.Btw,I own a ISF calibrated Hitachi 51swx.It looked better on sd with the old receiver.

Try using the s-video connections for your SD channes and see how those look. People that have had 6K's say that their SD channels looked better via s-video connections then component.

I'm using DVI-D and s-video.They both look worse then my old receiver.I'm convinced it's the video outputs on the receiver or the upconversion.

Don't bash me here I'm just not getting it! On another post someone said to switch back and forth from s-video to dvi. How do you do this? What does this mean? BTW I do know the difference I just don't understand how to switch. I am getting mine Monday and I just want to be ready, that is if its not updated over the weekend.

Bryan,

I would have to switch on the TV. Are there buttons on your remote which controls which input source you are watching? There should be. Hook both of them up & then switch on the remote.

I think so, if your referring to like watching ota digital, sat or analog ota. The TV is a Mitsubishi 55511 if this will help. BTW Sparkman do you know who Adrian Peterson is?

bryan92,

You're ok,just sounds like you have'nt been using multiple
inputs up til now.Do what Sparkman suggested and you'll
be fine,enjoy the 811 when its installed. :)

Thanks y'all I will be ready. Ive printed everything on here about the problems so my wife will know what to do if I'm not home. She's not real happy about this anyway, I just bought a 508 a couple of months ago and she just cant understand why I need a new receiver. :p

Now you just need a programmable remote like the Pronto so that all your wife has to do is press a button and all the inputs are set as you need them.

Petemc11, I have a couple in line amps for sale.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2964

It won't help your SD picture quality, my SD quality isn't that great either.
I have 2 receivers hooked to my TV, I use my 721 for SD and 811 for HD.

volfan615 said:
Now you just need a programmable remote like the Pronto so that all your wife has to do is press a button and all the inputs are set as you need them.

I've got a Home Theater Master that she just now picked up and tried to work! :p

Sparkman said:
Bryan,

Yes, I know who Adrian Peterson is. Running back from Ga Southern who came to the Bears. On IR this year

Sorry, I forgot to sign in above. Sparkman, I hope he gets a chance up their and can show his true potential. He is a very good person also. I know , wrong forum I'll get out of here.

bryan,

I'd say from looking at the picture of your remote your input
selector is the sliding thing at the very top of your remote.Witchever
input you connect the 811 to move the slider to that input,hope
this helps,good luck.

Speaking of remotes,I love my $60 Radio Shack 6 in 1 "Kameleon" remote.Best I ever owned.Easy to program and 4 macros.