Scott's Mini Hopper 3 Review

Thanks for the reply's . I've read some folks are getting wired 4K Joey's free with an exchange of a DVR & receiver (s) for the upgrade but the $50.00 charge is definitely happening on each of the wireless Joey's because of maybe an additional WI FI adapter required for the wireless 4K Joeys to work with the Hopper 3 or maybe just because they can get away with it .

Just out of curiosity and nothing beyond that since it's settled *maybe the Hopper 3 upgrade is free, my 211K receiver is wired right to the Dish or a switch or something separate from the 722K altogether why couldn't they do that with a 722K and a 4K Joey or are they just unwilling to ?

Does the wired 4K Joey have to be connected to the Hopper 3 either way wired or wireless or is there something else required HDWE wise for the Hopper 3 in line or data wise that makes the whole thing incompatible with the older receivers ?

AFAIK *some of the dishes and LNB* will work on a 722K etc..... or Joey 3 but maybe not both on the same configuration ? .

These guys at Dish and D*TV etc. are all pitifully behind the times compared to IPTV in general and the HDWE and modern 4K TV's or a decent 1080p TV altogether.

They are still using satellite dishes and bit starved ,overcompresed and sometimes interlaced channels that all hearken back to Sputnik , Telstar and maybe 1954 CRT's on the 480i signals . OTOH ISP bandwidth is way behind most developed nations here also ?

We all probably know HDWE wise nobody needs Dish,Comcast or D*TV etc if they have enough IP bandwidth except they all have a lock on a lot of content

They even have a few Android TV apps available in the Google Play Store that can work like a DVR & timer with my TV with it's attached 3 TB USB 3.0 HDD I put on there although I don't know if it works in the US with our DRM and all ?

Last edited:
My other question not answered yet is :

Lastly but most important is the 720p / 1080i/p picture quality better (beyond splitting hairs ) out of a 4K Joey and or a Hopper 3 than a 722K and 611K , that would be my main reason to upgrade *at this time* until regular 4K content content is available ,not 4K PPV I can otherwise get in my 4K smart TV or an extender likely with a better picture if what we get from them now @1080i is any indication .

"I've read some folks are getting wired 4K Joey's free with an exchange of a DVR & receiver (s) for the upgrade but the $50.00 charge is definitely happening on each of the wireless Joey's because of maybe an additional WI FI adapter required for the wireless 4K Joeys to work with the Hopper 3 or maybe just because they can get away with it ."

Thought 4K Joeys were $50 & wireless Joeys also cost something (for the access point)?

Last edited:
tubetwister said:
OTOH ISP bandwidth is way behind most developed nations here also

david_jr said:
I am curious what developed nations with similar land mass and population of the US are way ahead of the US in ISP bandwidth? Also curious as to how they paid for it?

re: ralfguy:
Less corruption and lobby guided monopolists.

re:tubwetwister :
In a word .....exactly :)

david_jr said:
I am curious what developed nations with similar land mass and population of the US are way ahead of the US in ISP bandwidth? Also curious as to how they paid for it?

re: tube twister :
Aside from better priorities,infrastructure and policys about all this abroad ... we are a HUGE debter nation ....what makes you think we have any money, we just owe everyone and the US regulators and congress are in the pocket anyway obviously they paid for all that abroad it with somebody's money and maybe government subsidies also instead of wasting their money on boondoggles (and other) for political gain :)

david_jr said:
And the nation's name?
similar land mass and population of the US

re: Tubetwister :
Google all that if you like nobody else cares about all that or making exudes for the robbers at the telco's and ISP's here but the corruption and lobbying around all that is another matter maybe for another venue . :)

Last edited:
tubetwister said:

"I've read some folks are getting wired 4K Joey's free with an exchange of a DVR & receiver (s) for the upgrade but the $50.00 charge is definitely happening on each of the wireless Joey's

peggy97850 said:
Thought 4K Joeys were $50 & wireless Joeys also cost something (for the access point)?

thomasjk said :
4k Joeys' are 50 as are the WAP.

re: tubetwister:

All this is probably true . I don't know anything beyond what I've read here and at AVS and maybe DSL reports
about 4K J's and the 4K DVR that goes with them .

I've read *some customers* are getting comped at least on one or more of the Joey's but maybe not the WAP business.

From what I've read this all may vary with any customer also that doesn't pay full boat for the Joey's

Maybe I'll call them or chat them up at Dish on the web about the 4K Joey and 4K DVR business specifically for my acct. and see what I can get out of them ( or not ) but those CSR's,like ATT are usually only one step above a chimpanzee. I got one good one in ~5 yrs that I didn't have to repeat and go over everything a zillion times or call them back when they screwed up an order when I saw it in the order confirmation E-mail :)

Again even though I have a new 4K Sony at this time I'm just looking for a legitimate PQ improvement on 720p/1080i with all this 4K VCR/Joey business vs my 722K and 211K's .

Dish doesn't have any regular channel 4K anyway or maybe none at all down from the birds.
Maybe they are waiting for ATSC 3.0 and whatever new or different compression that might bring for 4K on the birds .

The compression they are talking about for ATSC 3.0 (OFDM). 8-VSB vs what they have now is maybe 4X + more efficient at the same channel bandwidth IOW 90 Mbps vs 19.39 Mbps in the same data bandwidth so that opens up 4K bt709 or 4K WCG + HDR with room to spare :)

Last edited:
Apples and oranges. You are comparing countries the size of maybe 1 state in the US to the US. Japan is about the size of California and South Korea is about the size of Indiana. As for European countries France is a bit smaller than Texas and the UK is about the size of Oregon and Germany the size of Montana. None of these countries has anywhere near the land mass of the entire US and their populations are predominantly centered around cities. The cost to build out the broadband infrastructure in the US outside of cities where it is already pretty good would be staggering with not enough customers to bring the return on investment. Oh by the way where it that list and where is the US on the list?

Reactions: bobvick
Apples and oranges. You are comparing countries the size of maybe 1 state in the US to the US. Japan is about the size of California and South Korea is about the size of Indiana. As for European countries France is a bit smaller than Texas and the UK is about the size of Oregon and Germany the size of Montana. None of these countries has anywhere near the land mass of the entire US and their populations are predominantly centered around cities. The cost to build out the broadband infrastructure in the US outside of cities where it is already pretty good would be staggering with not enough customers to bring the return on investment. Oh by the way where it that list and where is the US on the list?
But when you take the land mass of all of Europe you get a different picture. They don't sell service by country there just like we don't sell service by state here. It's the entire continent.

Reactions: tubetwister

You are making or maybe parroting excuses for the USA Telco's ,ISP's , CATV/SAT /ISP providers lack of vision ,lack of territorial/local competition ,the will, and the other things here below !

Some of the lobbyists virtually write some of the house and senate bills and regulations and give them to the politicians and regulators in their pocket anyway ?

But when you take the land mass of all of Europe you get a different picture. They don't sell service by country there just like we don't sell service by state here. It's the entire continent.

Right they all managed to do all the things our providers virtually protected territorial fiefdoms are/were unwilling to do until Google Fiber Gbp/s showed up all of a sudden but they are all far behind and late to the party and way too expensive for what we get below Gbp/s service they been getting away with all that for too long !

Now the evil cable monster Comcast is finally just starting up some insanely priced Gbp/s DOCSIS 3.0 on their existing infrastructure and Comcast in the Sky and on the poles ( ATT/D*TV ) are talking 5G LTE Gbp/s but that's going to require a lot of build out with a zillion Cell towers and or wireless nodes because FTTN U-Verse is just a placeholder today anyway and you can bet that will have insane prices also .?

Last edited:
Reactions: ralfyguy
I think US is around 13 or 14 in average speed...you do have a point on land mass, but still large % of population in cities above 20-30k (90+% of population I bet), which any city that size or bigger shod have fast speeds.

The Forbes article above has it right.

Having had to manage multiple locations across several Western Europe countries and multiple states in the US, I can say there can be some really sweet deals but overall EU is the same patchwork of access and costs we have in the US. If anything, business pricing is worse. Individual might have a slight edge in some markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)