Scott's Mini Hopper 3 Review

Yes, I still have it... Motherboard malfunctioning was my best guess, but that HDMI issue could have been the cause. Loss of audio and internet radio was flaky just before it died. I was miffed that they were dragging their feet on firmware updates too.... Sirius XM changed their bitstream codec or something and I lost the Sirius streaming which was what I used it a lot for in the summer (piped it outside to zone 2 speakers by pool). Mine was 2011 era as well....

Reactions: gpflepsen
Sadly that was what I was just told so I guess all of Vermont can't use the H3 as well. I was further disappointed that they did not have a list so that customers would be contacted once the "4 satellites" problem was fixed. This seems like a fundamental design flaw.
I doubt this is the case. You might want to have someone from DIRT check for you. You shouldn't need 77 satellite and unless you have internationals don't need 118.

Yes, I still have it... Motherboard malfunctioning was my best guess, but that HDMI issue could have been the cause. Loss of audio and internet radio was flaky just before it died. I was miffed that they were dragging their feet on firmware updates too.... Sirius XM changed their bitstream codec or something and I lost the Sirius streaming which was what I used it a lot for in the summer (piped it outside to zone 2 speakers by pool). Mine was 2011 era as well....

Go to http://www.onkyousa.com/Support/service_info.php and click the Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program link. Enter the serial number to see if you are eligible for the program.

Is anyone getting a Hopper 3 that does not have a 4K TV yet? If so, what are the reasons? Would love PIP on my hopper (4K Joey) and speedier interface.
No 4K tv yet. I wanted to increase the number of recordings that can be done concurrently. I run into a problem on Tuesday nights.
With my 722K I record 2 shows at 9:00 pm and the third I have to record at 1:00 AM Wednesday morning.

I have a question, and I don't remember if it has been asked before: Recordings made from the Joey, can they be seen from the Hopper?
Yes. All recordings and functions are united across all components. The Joeys cannot do certain menu items such as OTA setup and some diagnostics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I have a question, and I don't remember if it has been asked before: Recordings made from the Joey, can they be seen from the Hopper?

Yes. All recordings are made on the Hopper itself since it is the only device in the system that has a hard drive. The whole point of a whole home system is to be able to access all recordings from all locations.

Reactions: Foxbat and bobvick
Yes. All recordings are made on the Hopper itself since it is the only device in the system that has a hard drive. The whole point of a whole home system is to be able to access all recordings from all locations.
Thanks for the response. I knew that the H3 is the only one with the hard drive. I was just wondering if my son records something that I can see what he recorded.

SR5010

here is the writeup from Best Buy that shows the specs....
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/marantz...lack/4876064.p?id=1219644185166&skuId=4876064

Oh and check out those reviews.... I have never seen an audio product with that many positive responses....

I looked at the Marantz site, that model does have full 4K support. Looks sweet too!

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

I bought a Marantz SR5010 too back in October. I don't have a 4K TV yet, but I really like this receiver. One reason I got it was because it was supposed to be 4K capable so I could keep using it when I got a 4K set.

Reactions: gpflepsen
I have a wired Dish VIP 722K on a 1080P Samsung 64f8500 plasma and a wired Dish VIP 211K on a 2015 4K Sony XBR- X850C.

FWIW the wide color gamut ( Triluminius panel on Sony X850C ) and up and noncrystalline panels on an SUHD Samung's are more of a big deal than 4K alone and WCG + HDR is even better on the Sony X850C's & the Samsung JS 8000 and up all with 120Hz panels .

They all make great colors no matter if it's bt709 or P3 DCI or bt2020 .also the HD 720p/1080i to 4K up-scaling looks better than 1080p . and ytou can re mapp wider color gamuts on them with regular bt709 content 5 star BD's are excellent on those sets .

I'm curious if I can upgrade to just a wired 4K Joey 4K Sony TV and keep the 722K on the 1080p set .
If I get 4K and below on the wired 4K Joey can I get the rest on the wired 722K normally for the 1080p set .

I'm on the western arc in Calif on 119,110 and 129 and using one satellite dish for ~200 ch + HD and locals.
I'm not sure about the sat . dish or LNB models it's maybe 4-5 yrs old but presumably Dish will update that if needed but I might need a new contract .

Lastly but most important is the 720p / 1080i/p picture quality better out of a 4K Joey and or a Joey 3 than a 722K and 611K that would be my main reason to upgrade *at this time* until regular ,not PPV 4K content is available .

Last edited:
I have a wired Dish VIP 722K on a 1080P Samsung 64f8500 plasma and a wired Dish VIP 211K on a 2015 4K Sony XBR- X850C.

FWIW the wide color gamut ( Triluminius panel on Sony X850C ) and up and noncrystalline panels on an SUHD Samung's are more of a big deal than 4K alone and WCG + HDR is even better on the Sony X850C's & the Samsung JS 8000 and up all with 120Hz panels .

They all make great colors no matter if it's bt709 or P3 DCI or bt2020 .also the HD 720p/1080i to 4K up-scaling looks better than 1080p . and ytou can re mapp wider color gamuts on them with regular bt709 content 5 star BD's are excellent on those sets .

I'm curious if I can upgrade to just a wired 4K Joey 4K Sony TV and keep the 722K on the 1080p set .
If I get 4K and below on the wired 4K Joey can I get the rest on the wired 722K normally for the 1080p set .

I'm on the western arc in Calif on 119,110 and 129 and using one satellite dish for ~200 ch + HD and locals.
I'm not sure about the sat . dish or LNB models it's maybe 4-5 yrs old but presumably Dish will update that if needed but I might need a new contract .

Lastly but most important is the 720p / 1080i/p picture quality better out of a 4K Joey and or a Joey 3 than a 722K and 611K that would be my main reason to upgrade *at this time* until regular ,not PPV 4K content is available .

I think I speak for most everyone here when I say, "Huh?"

But to answer your question, no, you cannot have a 4K Joey and a 722K. To have a 4K Joey, you must have a Hopper 3 and you cannot have any other receiver (722, 722K, Hopper, or otherwise) with a Hopper 3. You just need to upgrade from your 722K to a Hopper 3 on one set and to a 4K Joey on the other. (There is no such thing as a "Joey 3.") Depending on your account, there's a good chance that the Hopper upgrade will be free; the 4K Joey will definitely cost you $50.

I think I speak for most everyone here when I say, "Huh?"

But to answer your question, no, you cannot have a 4K Joey and a 722K. To have a 4K Joey, you must have a Hopper 3 and you cannot have any other receiver (722, 722K, Hopper, or otherwise) with a Hopper 3. You just need to upgrade from your 722K to a Hopper 3 on one set and to a 4K Joey on the other. (There is no such thing as a "Joey 3.") Depending on your account, there's a good chance that the Hopper upgrade will be free; the 4K Joey will definitely cost you $50.
You can have a 4K Joey on the HWS (H2).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts